Your Ad Could Be Here

Do You Have Your Mic?

A Singer's Set Up  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have your own live microphone?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have your own vocal processing units (FX, EQ etc)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you take an active interest in your vocal sound?

• Yes
    • No

as a singer, do you have your own live microphone? your own effects?

guitarists have their own guitars and amps, but most singers i know don't have their own vocals or vocal processing units and take almost no interest in their vocal sound. in saying that a lot of singers don't take care of or develop their voice.

Good topic well i have a set of 3 mic's and no effects as im still in the begining stages of singing after a brake of 15 year what effects are available ? how would they help me in development ? i think i have the basics of a good voice althou finding the techy stuff to aid is not as easy as it looks some of the exersises depend on having time and good niebours i know through experience this is a difficult one so how do ya help anyone got info [smiley=vocals.gif]

Hey

I have my own live mics though I have to admit I have been lazy about getting my own effects rack devoted to that purpose. They are a good idea though.

It's amazing how easy it is to get germs from mics!

Having your own mic does help you get your own sound, and ensures you don't get some beat up old mic from the PS guy :)

Cheers

John

Hey

I have my own live mics though I have to admit I have been lazy about getting my own effects rack devoted to that purpose. They are a good idea though.

It's amazing how easy it is to get germs from mics!

Having your own mic does help you get your own sound, and ensures you don't get some beat up old mic from the PS guy :)

Cheers

John

I'd go along with the germs thing, I used to DJ a lot of Karaokes and always had a cold, as soon as I packed it in - no colds !!!

You have been warned !!!

As for Mics I use a senheisser E835S for talking and I have a couple of SM 58s for live vocals

FX Ive got a peavey deltafex for basic effects

I did try a digitech harmony fx unit but it was more of a studio unit than a live piece of equipment.

Has anybody out there tried any of the vocal effects pedals,

[smiley=vocals.gif]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have my own singing mike. No, I don't worry 'bout them vocal-processor things.

My singing mike is a Nady; it was appallingly cheap, and is surprisingly good. It's every bit the equal of the old Shure that it replaced (though I doubt it will last 25 years like the Shure did). I don't usually haul it around with me; if the venue I'm playing at has their own sound system (and most do), they'll have mikes--usually the Shures. Shures are what the Southern Oregon Songwriters Assn. use in our sound system (which members can rent).

The past couple of weeks, though, I've had a cold, and I wouldn't sing through anybody else's mike because I didn't want to spread whatever I'd got. I brought my own mike wherever I went, and handed it to the Sound Dude, and told him "Use this--I have a cold." I've still got it in my guitar case.

Joe

I have my old dependable basic Bb Shure.

Have no processors or effects, but have thought about it often.

Always wanted to experiment with loop tape and harmonizer - never got around to it.

Still have an old harmoniser tucked away somewhere unused.

I imagine the technology is long superceded and improved.

Maybe I shopuld think about it some more.

Any techno-suggestions ?

• 4 weeks later...

I dont own myown Mic. or FX effects unfortunately, but I do take an interest in my own voice, especailly when screaming.

Edited by Tay

unfortunately i dont have my own mic.....

but i use my cell phone mic to record my voice....

luckily it gives good sound quality....thnx to sony erikson..... [smiley=noise.gif]

• 6 months later...
I dont own myown Mic. or FX effects unfortunately, but I do take an interest in my own voice, especailly when screaming.

Do you know how to do it properly? It can be really dangerous.

I'm just starting to really take care of my voice. I'm breaking the habit of constantly clearing my throat (Tourettes syndrome, but I can actually quit thanks to the meds I'm on), I'm drinking lots more water than I used to to thin the mucus in my throat, and I've been using moisterizing nasal spray. And I've been refusing to talk when my throat hurts. I don't think I've damaged it that much yet, but I don't want to anymore. Though I probably know more about the vocal process because of my background in choral singing.