Hey

I found this on the web:

http://downhillbattle.org/reasons/index.html

what do you think?

Cheers

John

Sure is interesting reading! So is this:

http://downhillbattle.org/?p=594

That is my one reason for not buying music online, I want to be able to download it and save it as a file on my computer. It's gonna be exciting to see how Spotify developes, if they're gonna have a DRM or not.

Since piracy really can't get any worse, they might as well release their music as the consumers want it. I download almost all my music, because most of the music I listen to is released through small labels (or no labels), and I have no way of ordering CDs online. If someone releases a music store that lets me pay for a song, and then download it do my HDD, I'll sign up right a way (or at least in two months, when I can get my VISA [smiley=luxhello.gif] ).

hey Boff

You mean iTunes? lol

cheers

John

ah ok. I somehow missed the drm reference on my first read. oops!

ah ok. I somehow missed the drm reference on my first read. oops!

It happens :)

The goal must be to give the artists the money they deserve, and preferably without having to tour non-stop. I don't have much experience with labels, but from what interviews with artists and so on say that's not really on the labels' agenda, since less than 5-10% of the CD revenues ends up with the artists. Therefore I think that major labels should be "removed", the question is how to do so without taking away all cd sales from the artists..

• Like 1

As much as I don't like what the major labels get away with, they do it because a massive market exists for this type of music. I find it so disheartening when I hear friends and family talk about the latest contestant on the X factor or Britains got talent.

Lee

• 3 months later...
  • Noob

You really can't get rid of the majors, they still have the most powerfull tools for marketing an artist, but the way they do business should be contructed differently. What has been missing for years is artist development, thats why when an artist or band comes out, most of there material isn't up to par. They focus on one or two songs in hopes that will sale a cd, but with Itunes and downloads made so easy, they lose revenue. if they took a young band like they did in the 70's and early 80's and went into post production, you would have better songs and more of them on the cd, Listen to the early bands of the 70's and you won't hear a lot of filler music, unless it was a one hit wonder and they really only put out a single in the first place. Production is key, and radio can't deny something great. I'm now starting to hear some good bands again and great singing, hopfully forums like this will inspire the talent posting to step up instead of complaining, Thats how your become an artist.

Edited by BillyT49

• 5 weeks later...

If I was 18 years old with youthful naivity about me I would find the whole magical allure of a major label too tempting but I'm a 30 something cynical old toss pot who believes that Simon Cowell is the devils spawn. That aside I print up my own CDs and sell them to people at my own gigs. I have however noticed something rather peculiar. People do not seem to be into buying genuinely new music from an unsigned act but will buy a £10, £15 or £20 CD when a tabloid paper says so which may explain why Pop Idol, X-Factor et all do so well in the mainstream world. I record on a 4-track then bugger about till it sounds good. Ultimately I am doing this now as a hobby with no illusions of Granduer. It's more fun too

Did that make any sense?

• 5 years later...
  • Noob

The real reason to get rid of major labels is that they kind of don't exist anymore anyway. Artists can do pretty much everything themselves, so now major labels are taking artists' merch and concert box just to promote. We just launched our site where artists get ad revenue when people download their songs for free. So the fans win and the artists win.. New innovation is really driving the majors into basically being high priced promotion companies.

Actually they really do. Big name stars like Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift wouldn't be as rich as they are without labels.

Labels handle tours. What's cheaper spotify or a big name concert?

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/03/08/the-10-most-expensive-concert-tickets/