Your Ad Could Be Here

The Best Melodic Writers

A name I haven't seen above is Tom Springfield, brother of Dusty.

He wrote a lot of the songs for The Seekers who were massive in the 60s and I believe are known world wide. I would add Sam Cooke and believe it or not, Rod Stewart. He wrote some lovely melodies for his earlier songs and they are worth a listen. Forget about anything after about 1978 though! Oh how could I forget, check out Don Walker. He is the keyboardist and principal writer for the iconic Australian band Cold Chisel. Fantastic stuff.

Cheers,

Kel

• Like 1

Gotta give props to Bernie Taupin, right?

Gotta give props to Bernie Taupin, right?

You know he's a lyricist, not a composer, right?

• Like 1

Check out some Musicals, that's what I'm doing at the moment. There are classic melodies and lyrics.

Sound of Music

South Pacific

Hair

West Side Story

I'm also reading about Johnny Mercer and studying his lyrics:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Lyrics-Johnny-Mercer/dp/0307265196/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296906540&sr=1-1

Great book, but a little pricy..

I'd also recommend Oliver! And, for something different... ABBA

You know he's a lyricist, not a composer, right?

Nope, I did not.  boy do I feel stupid

Edited by Farina

Kel, no I did not.  boy do I feel stupid

Edited by Farina

No need for that. He wrote lyrics that inspired good melodies... take that!

check out Chet Atkins he does some of best beatles instrumentals I've heard also his partner lester (from chester and lester) AKA Les Paul was another great rock guitar player. Also look at jerry reed, Joe wallsh, roy buchanan, Glen campbell,  wes montgomery, 

• 2 weeks later...

Not the same as writing the melody.

Actually I believe there is a time when you should put other artists behind you and write from...you.

Keith Richards and Mick Jagger had a string of minor hits playing covers and there was a chance that they would fall into obscurity because they didn't do any of their own writing.  The Beatles liked the Stones and wrote a song that they thought would be good for the Stones.  The Beatles played it, explained everything and the Stones couldn't do the song.  They had no clue. 

When push came to shove Richards and Jagger were locked in a room and told not to come out till they had written a song. The rest was history. Don't be so absorbed with your hero's you feel you can't be as good. Just do it and do it again until you build yourself up in the direction you want to go.

• 1 year later...

Kel,

I had read that Bernie Taupin is also a composer, which is why he can do lyrics so well.

--Pat