Your Ad Could Be Here

About you...

Tell us all about yourself...

I won't bore you with my resume, it would take too long! Needless to say I am passionate about music, and I love writing my own.

• 1 month later...

Hi David

Ok, I play multiple instruments. I started piano aged 4 (36 now), violin aged 7, drums aged 11, bagpipes (yes bagpipes) at about 12, guitar 14,  then onto a number of others including mandolin, bodhran and didgeridoo, and for my sins I've been singing since aged 9 in choirs and as a lead singer since about 19.

I've been writing music since age 11, lyrics since about 13.

I worked for a few years as a musician and as a sound engineer. I have an honours degree in electronics and music. I've played in orchestras, pipe bands, and bands of various kinds.  I have written music for corporate videos, other artists and lots for myself.  I have produced several artists (which is fun), and somewhere I find the time to run Songstuff!

I have my own studio now and occasionally get to use it!

Is this enough, or should I go on? ;D ;D

If you want to hear some tunes I've recorded, then you can hear them at www.mp3.com/BibiM

We got lots of rave reviews on this (I did the music and some backing vocals) and were featured on the BBC radio 1 site.  Only 3 tracks are available now on mp3 directly.  Some of the other tracks are available on various mp3 stations.

Hi Bongstuff

Right out yer press clippings archive! The OMD poster says it all ;D

Cheers

John

Hee hee.

What can I say, the entire era was a bit of a haze. It's always been the squigly line poster all the posers had to me ;D

Didn't mean to knock you heros...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Since you gave an account of your talents, I thought I would share some of my experiences as well.

I started with the piano (at 4). Classical training and all that.

I switched to the guitar at 16, because you cannot move a piano. I had to learn in 3 months, because we were already commited to a concert :)

I've been the leader (guitar/singer/songwriting) of a punk trio. That's where I learned bass (because I had to teach my bass player) and the basis of drumming (because my second drummer was very new to rock, so we had to start from scratch).

After the band split, I had various experiences.

To my utter shame, :)

I did a one gig of Free jazz with a sax player (as a lame excuse, I was paid!), playing bass and guitar.

I composed for a French singer, typicall French "variété".

After that I discovered I could do anything on my own, thanks to technology. It was first with a Drumatix and (now famous) TB303 Bassline. After that with a MIDI setup.

That pretty sums it all :)

Didier

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/109/chris_scudds.html

hey Didier - i checked out your trax on mp3.com - cool! Folk/techno/rock. Reminded me a bit of that Renaud bloke that does "Dr. Renaud Mr. Renard" .

And it reminded me I had a track up there too - from about 4 years ago. It's actually a Playstation theme appearing on the 1998 title AIRONAUTS.

BS

hey Didier - i checked out your trax on mp3.com - cool! Folk/techno/rock.

Thanks BongStuff,

First time my music is quoted as "Folk/techno/rock" :)

Not a bad definition, by the way.

I always have very different comments about my style.

Perhaps that's my difficulty with my music, if you read the excellent article on Songstuff: Fit it before being different :)

Reminded me a bit of that Renaud bloke that does "Dr. Renaud Mr. Renard" .

I'm surprised a Scot (if I'm not mistaken) ever had even heard of Renaud. The similarity must be partly because I sing in French, and partly because Renaud (not always, but sometimes) has roots in the "rock français" genre.

And it reminded me I had a track up there too - from about 4 years ago. It's actually a Playstation theme appearing on the 1998 title AIRONAUTS.

I just listened to your track. Not my kind of music, but it's the kind of music I can listen to with pleasure. I liked the pads in that song, and the general atmosphere.

Didier

Didier dude - yeah cheers for the comments. I tried to get that Café Del Mar kinda vibe, without having to resort to clichéd "waves lapping on the beach" samples.

Most of the lead pads are Roland JX10. The dancing vox-pad is a CS1-X with a ghosted MIDI track and nice shuffling digital delay on both.

I know of Renaud because I worked in Paris for a while and still keep in touch a few French muso friends who are big fans of his. He and Jacques Brel!

BS

• 13 years later...

Hi Guys, there is far too much to tell and you'd get bored to tears if I told all so I will try to keep it short. 

I started singing in the UK in 1964 at the age of 15 and used to hang around with some well known artists and bands of that era. I used to sit in on some of their writing sessions and got a taste for it. The only instrument that I could seriously play was my voice. I eventually put my efforts into crafting lyrics for artists and bands and only did the occasional couple of songs when I was invited up on stage with them. I was eventually signed as a ghostwriter right through the 1980s. Wrote a few musicals in the 90s whilst a partner in a studio complex up until 2000. Went into retirement until 2011 when I started a production co. I've been writing with different people ever since. I have a small studio with vocal booth here in London but am aligned with a lot of composers and producers who have their own studio's in the US and Europe. I am currently writing with an artist from X Factor who I feel is very talented. He is in the vein of James Blake but different. I'm sixty seven now and have slowed down a bit. I still feel like a sixteen year old in the head but my body tells me I'm delusional lol. I'm married to a wonderful woman and have 4 grown up kids and six grandchildren.

I didn't get bored.  You wanna hear boring? So boring it'll take about three lines and five seconds! Nah...it's too boring.  

I found this quite fascinating actually.  It must've been so cool to sit in on the writing sessions at such an early age.  I bet you absorbed a lot that way and very quickly.  Anyway, Welcome to Songstuff!

7 hours ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

I didn't get bored.  You wanna hear boring? So boring it'll take about three lines and five seconds! Nah...it's too boring.  

I found this quite fascinating actually.  It must've been so cool to sit in on the writing sessions at such an early age.  I bet you absorbed a lot that way and very quickly.  Anyway, Welcome to Songstuff!

Things were a lot simpler back then, there were only few music genres unlike today where I have trouble assigning genre to music being that their are so many in the mix nowadays. Also the business is much tougher today due to the digital recording revolution where songwriter numbers have increased a thousandfold and are able to work out of their bedroom studios and pitch via websites like Music XRay, Hit licence, etc, and artists can utilise platforms like CDBaby, Reverbnation, Soundcloud, Twitter and Facebook etc to get themselves noticed. In my personal opinion the 1960s were the greatest years in music. 

Edited by Ray888
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 6:16 AM, Ray888 said:

Things were a lot simpler back then, there were only few music genres unlike today where I have trouble assigning genre to music being that their are so many in the mix nowadays. Also the business is much tougher today due to the digital recording revolution where songwriter numbers have increased a thousandfold and are able to work out of their bedroom studios and pitch via websites like Music XRay, Hit licence, etc, and artists can utilise platforms like CDBaby, Reverbnation, Soundcloud, Twitter and Facebook etc to get themselves noticed. In my personal opinion the 1960s were the greatest years in music. 

Hi, Ray.

Welcome to the site. Lots of rich history in your brief bio. Your comment about genres struck a chord. Some of the new labels I have to look up because I don't know what they mean. I am a child of the seventies but was raised right (meaning I was raised on the music of the late 50s and 60s!). Before genre radio it was all just songs and the good ones stood out, regardless of the instrumentation. Look forward to you participating in the forums.

~T

Thanks T, I've already participated in 35 threads and have only just joined. Good to participate.

Edited by Ray888