Your Ad Could Be Here

What Is Your Main Daw?

My main DAW is Apple's LogicPro.

But if we master the software between our own ears, then we can probably do with anything!

• 2 weeks later...

At work, I've used several DAWs, including Protools (HD and LE), Digital Performer, Logic, Ableton Live, Nuendo and Cubase.  Cubase remains my favourite, and I've been using this at home since about 1993, when I had an Atari ST.  I have got us converted from ProTools to Nuendo/Cubase in our main studios at work too. Our electronic studios use Logic and Ableton (previously Digital Performer). I wish I had more time to play around with it all, but honestly, I find Cubase to be so complete and stable, I never want for anything else.

• 9 months later...
  • Noob

I took a chance at learning Logic 9 for a few months and then gave ProTools 9 a shot, and both just seemed way out of my league! I looked into audio schools just for learning ProTools and just thought that's the way it is...then I bought a Presonus mixer, the classic SL16.4.2, it's simlicity and ease of use is what attracted me to it; and it came with free software, Studio One Artist, and after trying to use my mixer with PT 9 with too many frustarting issues, I decided to install S1 Artist, and in a few DAYS I had some pretty good recordings, and I was mixing way more effficiently and with more ease and much quicker workflow! Hands down the best decision I made in regards to a DAW! I have since upgraded to Studio One Professional 2.6.2 and looking forward to the enhancements in version 3! That community of users on their Facebook page is so helpful and they are seriously like an extended family; I even went to the Presonus annual event in Baton Rouge, LA last year and met many of the FB users for sodtware and hardware, and now Presonus has a new line off mixers as well as studio monitors that are just amazing to hear in addition to their current line of other hadware gear they offer!  Truly an amazing company...I Love my DAW!

• 2 weeks later...

I started off with using Adobe Audition, but have since moved on to Cubase.  I received a free copy of Cubase LE when I purchased my audio interface, but have since moved on to the paid Enterprise edition.  Nice stuff!

-Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this thread has been around awhile...I use Studio One , Cakewalk Sonar X3, Sony Acid Pro 7. Right now Sonar X3 is my main go to...mostly because I am past the learning curve with it and it offers a lot of capability right out of the box.

Samlpitude Pro X, Someday I'll figure out how to use it properly.

I thought I would find more Samplitude users here at Songstuff.

EJB

I'm a PC guy. Started with CoolEdit and purchased a licensed copy of Adobe Audition 1.5 back around 2004. I've used it ever since because I know it inside and out. Only use a few VST plugins with it as the onboard features are great.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I've used a handful of DAW's over the years, but the primary one I've settled into is Fruty Loops/FL Studio. Though, lord help me, sometimes I still go back and break out the old music generator programs I have for my playstation. MTV Music Generator 2 and EJay Clubworld were my first introduction to DAWs and electronic arrangement, and despite their limitations I still find myself going back to them just out of familiarity and the sheer ease of the learning curve. Heck, I even tracked down the original MTV Music Generator program (for PS1) at a used game store and bought it.

Even I have a tendency to look a little sideways at programs like that, but honestly I've made some of my favorite tracks with them. I just remind myself that if people can make music with an old oil drum, it really doesn't matter what you use--just how you use it.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

In the first 90's I used Atari 1040St... A real jurassic machine with Notator software... How many production I made with that computer!!!! Then I started to use Logic when it still was under E-Magic. I never left Logic... Now I use Logic Pro X with AVID Artist Mix, Artist Artist Control and Avid Artist Transport as control surfaces.

Edited by Nick Festari
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Noob

Shamefully it is Logic Pro X because I find it easier to use and more suited to writing and composing in compared to Pro-Tools. Though I plan to force myself to use Pro-Tools more because its editing is so detailed and powerful.

Meh ...  Logic Pro X, just because I own a Macintosh.  And: "if you can't do it with that, don't blame the software."

• 4 weeks later...

Update- Cakewalk Sonar X3 is no longer my main DAW. I switched over to Cakewalk Sonar Platinum. 

On the contrary to what others say, I use Logic Pro X not shamefully but proudly. ;-)

It's the only one I ever used, both professionally and at home, and I'll probably stick with it to the bitter end.

S

Studio One is offering a really nice crossgrade deal at audio deluxe.com something like 200 quid.....I'm probably not going to bite. I have what I need and it works well for me. 

If I were just starting out I would seriously consider SO3 as a possibility.

If someone wants to donate a nice Mac I would love to try Logic :) I work at a university and they use Logic in the music school recording studio here. I could probably pull a few strings and make use of those possibilities, but I haven't needed anything other than my home setup.

Anything that puts my mind more on the tool than the art is distracting. I like to have my ideas ready to go when I get them.

for a long time it was all about Mixcraft for me.  I really love it.

That being said I'm not using any daws currently.  I'm just using Cantabile as a host.  I want to further my chops on the linnstrument before recording again. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Reason 9. Unreal! Just introduced an amazing pitch correction facility that rivels melodyn etc. Virtual instruments are amazing. Only downside to Reason is that they don't offer any really realistic drum software that I'm aware of. Superior drummer or EZdrummer fills that gap though.

9 hours ago, HoboSage said:

Real drum loops played by killer drummers recorded as Rex files edited and played via the Dr. Octo Rex player fills the gap for me. :)

Yeah I should look into the Rex player more but I was so impressed with Superior/EZ drummer that it would take a lot to make me switch!

I can't tell you who it is, but I'm a beta tester for a major software DAW. I guess I'm a little biased.It can import REX loops among others. REX is a Reason branded loop or at least created with that technology. ACID loops are another option. Once a Sony product now a Majix owned product. You can also make your own loops using this tech. 

My point being you don't necessarily need Reason to use REX loops, although Reason is a natural choice if you prefer REX. If you intend to buy new software check the specs on it. Most of the better software will import several types of loops. In addition, you aren't stuck with only the loops that came in your software since you can buy other sets of different types.

The advantage to a DAW with multi import capability is you can have ACID loops on one track and REX on another. You can't do that in Reason. Reason is like the Apple of DAW's.

If you're a newb , none of this has anything to do with midi. That's another way to loop using real instruments.Check it out!

• 3 weeks later...
I think it's wrong to put Cubase and Nuendo in the same line. There is Cubase SE/LE (which a lot of us receive actually for free with some audio interfaces) and there is SL and SX, which probably the most of "Cubase users" do use.

On the other hand you have Nuendo which is used by a small fraction of Steinberg customers which work sound for the video/film industry or even mastering.

For accurate results you should separate them.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have both Mac and PC.

I use Pro-Tools 11 and Pro Logic on the Mac and Cubase VST and Reason on PC.

Plugins are Waves SSL, Neve, Focusrite Red, but I also use outboard effects Lexicon PCM 91, SPL Vitaliser, Aphex Expressor, TL Audio Quad valve pre amp and TL Audio Dual Valve Parametric EQ depending on what suits each project.

• Like 1