Your Ad Could Be Here

Copyright Extended In Eu

The European Court has finally reached a decision to extend recording copyright from 50 years from the date of recording to 70 years from the date of recording.

The UK music industry has campaigned for a change in copyright protection for a long time with European musicians looking for the same protection that American performers currently enjoy - 95 years. The UK Government has rejected calls for 95-year protection before but this compromise will make the new law be adopted by all 25 EU member countries within two years.

It's good news for performers including jobbing / session musicians.

Just thought I would share :)

:jumping30:

While it can't be bad news for performers, isn't the recording copyright already owned by some business in most cases (rather than the performer)? It could still be helpful, especially for smaller, struggling labels.

Or have I got that wrong?

Going forward, of course, more performers may own the recording copyright, anyway.

While it can't be bad news for performers, isn't the recording copyright already owned by some business in most cases (rather than the performer)? It could still be helpful, especially for smaller, struggling labels.

Or have I got that wrong?

Going forward, of course, more performers may own the recording copyright, anyway.

I'd agree... It sounds like bad news to me. I don't think this is being done to protect artists.

I think copyright should end when the artist dies... If I write a song and die tomorrow, I think it should go into the public domain tomorrow.

I don't think this is being done to protect artists.

Nope, it isn't - it's mainly to protect the record companies, and 'estates'.. The Stones and Beatles album were running out of 'protection'.

From what I've read, 15 years would be more appropriate, since most artists have made good on their investment by then.

Don't forget this also means *recordings* of classical music cannot be republished if the holder of the copyright refuses to cooperate.

Nope, it isn't - it's mainly to protect the record companies, and 'estates'.. The Stones and Beatles album were running out of 'protection'.

From what I've read, 15 years would be more appropriate, since most artists have made good on their investment by then.

Don't forget this also means *recordings* of classical music cannot be republished if the holder of the copyright refuses to cooperate.

I think fifteen years would be acceptable. If a company genuinely does invest in an artist, they deserve a chance to get some kind of return on it.