Your Ad Could Be Here

What Have You Learnt From X Factor / American Idol Etc?

Hey

A controversial topic, maybe, but I wondered what lessons if any, you have learnt from shows like X Factor, American Idol, Pop Idol and similar?

Although I'm happy with funny replies I'm really looking for any serious, considered replies. :)

Have at it!

Cheers

John

It's very easy for people to scoff at shows like X Factor, but I think that, in principle, TV talent shows can be an important part of the musical landscape. It's a good opportunity for talented vocalists to get some exposure and millions of people are entertained by the shows so there is some value in the format.

My main gripe with it all is the lack of emphasis on creativity. If you look back through the history of popular music, a lot of the most beloved artists haven't necessarily had the most stellar voices but have invented an original sound that allows their personality to shine through. Contestants on X Factor always seem to end up sounding like generic cabaret singers and the same old songs get regurgitated from one series to the next.

I've always thought that there would be big demand for a TV show where the contestants would be asked to write a new song during the week and then perform it on the weekend live show. There could be acts from a variety of different genres and the audience would get to hear something completely fresh every week.

I realise I've kind of rambled there without actually answering the question that was asked in the thread title, so here goes: What have I learnt from X Factor etc.?

You don't get anywhere in life without taking a gamble on something that might scare the hell out of you. The lucky few who have had success through appearing on these shows have fought their way to the top of the pack in a competitive environment. A lot of people miss out on opportunities in life because they lack the courage to stand up and be counted. The 'journeys' of the contestants are often portrayed in quite a mawkish fashion but there are inspiring stories there of individuals who come from nothing yet grab their opportunity when it's presented to them.

I am glad to say that the Norwegian version of X-Factor has taken a nice direction. Both the winners from 2009 and 2010 were singer/songwriters, winning the competition with their own songs.

I've actually been involved in producing a backing track for a reality television show act. I can't discuss details yet, because the show won't air until January.

What have I learned? I think it's very important to see these shows for what they are. They don't push the envelope, they don't produce anything of Earth shattering artist merit or value. They're essentially a television based cabaret or karaoke. I enjoyed working on this because it was fun and I'm looking forward to hearing my work, a few seconds of it at any rate, on national television.

That said, I am not taking the matter at all seriously, these shows are about having fun, and that's what they should be about. I very much doubt that I'll be retiring on the royalties anytime soon or be harangued by overzealous, sexually adventurous groupies over this, although if either of those things does occur, I shall do my best to be stoic about it.

On another point, the guy who sings in Snow Patrol is pretty average looking and not the best singer in the world, but I absolutely love their song Run. I'd much rather listen to them performing it their way than listen to an over performed and over produced cover where Leona Lewis absolutely f*cking massacres a great piece of art.

I can't even understand how she won X-factor, she's the vocal equivalent of a whirling dervish.

The biggest single lesson for me, has been the realization of just how many do-or-die, semi-dilussional folks are out there, all believing that they have what it takes to suceed.......in an industry where so few actually suceed. I guess I've always suspected a big number, but nothing even close to what's surfaced. I 'm not saying this to rain on anyone's parade. I've simply found the reality & scope of the situation a bit frightening. Dreams are great, but I seriously hope that most of these folks have at least considered having a plan-B :001_unsure:

Tom

*It occured to me that, for new members who aren't familiar with me, I should probably qualify my above statements. FYI- Those comments are based on the perspective of a 58 year old, self-declared hobbyist....who already lived his do-or-die, semi-dilussional moments back in his teens & early 20's. Been there - done that! :001_tongue:

I think a lot of these people are shot down in flames by their friends who out of misplaced kindness set them up for a fall by giving them a thoroughly dishonest perception of how, shall we say marketable, their performances are.

If I had a quid for every time some young rascal, or often even middle aged rascal, had told me that he or she was going to make me famous I wouldn't have to work for a living. In the spirit of honesty I always explained to them that:

a. This was a song that I'd heard a thousand times before and fame and glory still await.

and

b. If they did get involved with a record company, the first thing that would happen to the sound engineer who produced the demos is that he'd be dropped like a hot brick.

The entertainment value of these type of performance contest shows IS that hope though, right? That "if someone will just listen, just notice then they'll see that I'm really special!" That's why people watch, to see if there IS a Cinderella story here, or if there is a train wreck to be seen.

Few make it to popular success, but the fact that anyone does means it is possible, and the ones with the 'do or die' attitude at least are sticking with their dream. We want to believe; that is what drives the audiences for these shows.

The entertainment value of these type of performance contest shows IS that hope though, right? That "if someone will just listen, just notice then they'll see that I'm really special!" That's why people watch, to see if there IS a Cinderella story here, or if there is a train wreck to be seen.

Few make it to popular success, but the fact that anyone does means it is possible, and the ones with the 'do or die' attitude at least are sticking with their dream. We want to believe; that is what drives the audiences for these shows.

The only problem with the "do or die attitude" is that out in the real world, there are bills piling up, mortgages to be paid, families to support et cetera. It's hard to build a career while you're focusing all your time and energy on being the next David Bowie.

I think that all of these shows are more-or-less facing the same problem of dilution. You can sell your own work directly now, for better or for worse. These shows want to be "star-makers," and of course that is the pitch they make to advertisers, but over many years they have had only a handful of successes. People don't spend nearly as much time in front of the tee-vee than they once did. A video that "goes viral" on a social networking site can have far more market penetration in much less time (although it doesn't last as long).

Even though the myth was always that "one day this unknown person with a guitar walked into a bar and Fame Happened," the reality was that what "happened" required a huge amount of promotion and artist-management with, actually, no guarantee at all of success. Many a star went through the gristmill and never sold enough copies of their product to pay the mill's (always inflated) expenses. In that strategy you either won big or you lost big but my point is that it was always big, because it always had to be. Today you can "succeed small." You are now presented with a world-wide distribution mechanism wherein the cost-of-goods-sold is next to nothing. You can make money today the way a jukebox used to: literally, a nickel at a time. The positive cash-flow might be smaller than you'd need to afford that mansion on the hill surrounded by 125 acres of land and white board fences, but it's positive cash-flow nonetheless.

So what have you learnt?

Personally, I think it's a travesty that people audition accapella. At the very least they should sing with an accompaniest.

It's very easy to fake good tone, and not have a clue about pitch. This becomes evident later on, when the singer is

added to a band and they can't sing in key!!!

Off key stuff REALLY bugs me.

Jus' sayin'......backtotopic.gif

So what have you learnt?

To treat it as a laugh and not put a lot of emotional investment in it.

All get rich quick scams, even legal ones, have one thing in common. It's the person who invents the scam who gets rich, not the person who falls hook, line and sinker for it.

Well stated, John!!ilovemusic.gif I've learned not to invest too much of my faith in shows with

weak premises.... I've learned that I'd rather spend that time in my recording studio playing

music, or playing gigs, or reading a damn fine book.

Well stated, John!!

Graeme... ;)

I've learned not to invest too much of my faith in shows with

weak premises.... I've learned that I'd rather spend that time in my recording studio playing

music, or playing gigs, or reading a damn fine book.

I couldn't agree more.

Everytime I get back in the studio I feel I've returned to my spiritual home, much as a young bird returning to the nest, often with a nice Rioja to help push the faders to unity... Rock and Roll!

I've learnt that I've been way too precious about music for way too long.

All people want is some tunes they know, and the quality of performance and integrity of the artist isn't top priority.

Anyone fancy covering Barbie Girl with me?

So what have you learnt?

1. Songstuff have better critiques than these show judges are !

2. They can fight well !

So what have you learnt?

Talent + Looks + Personality + Stage presence + No criminal record + All the luck in the world = A good start.