john

Testimonials

51 posts in this topic

Hi

Testimonials are useful comments about a site, made by the users of that site.

Here at Songstuff we would love to use testimonials from our members to show to visitors who might be considering membership.

If you would like to leave a testimonial about Songstuff and it's benefits simply reply to this topic with your comments.

Many thanks!

Cheers

John

PS Please reply to the Facebook post to let other members know you posted here, and / or share it with your friends. If you cannot find a Facebook post about this, please simply create a new topic on the Songstuff Facebook page linking here:)

5 people like this

I joined this site to improve one lyric - 5 (or more?!) years later and I've learned loads, written more and had a lot of fun with the great community on here!

Love it!

Rohan :)

2 people like this

Visiting Songstuff is kind of like the modern cyberspace equivalent of the old artist's hangout in Soho (where the real denizens of Manhattan used to - and still do - HANG.) Only the airline ticket to get there is MUCH cheaper! And the amount of artists you get to connect with and run your ideas off of is never-ending. It is the modern day "ARTISTIC MECCA"! I highly recommend that every songwriter join up, immediately.

Sincerely, Cheryl Hodge

2010 nominee for Best Jazz Song; 2011 nominee for Best Blues Song, Hollywood Music In Media Awards

http://cherylhodge.com

3 people like this

I joined Songstuff just a little over 5 years ago,(this was one of my better ideas) i was a budding singer songwriter who aspired to do better.

Being a part of the Songstuff community allowed me to post my lyrics for my fellow musicians to check out and gain valuble advice, the site has some very gifted musicians who helped me get the best out of my raw talent.

It has helped me become more confident in my own abilitys as well as learning new ways of putting my songwriting across the site has an abundance of knowledge between the many members some of who have become firm friends, it has learned me to be more open minded where other styles of music are concerned

thomas( Lead vocals & guitarist with Strangetouch )

4 people like this

The songstuff music community provided inspiration and friendship for me when I was going through college and serving my time as a sound engineer. There are many talented people with experience in songwriting, production and the business side of the music industry. Songstuff is a vibrant and diverse community. I would recommend it to anyone who wishes to further their understanding of music, whether they are a hobbyist or looking towards a career in the industry.

Graeme Young, Sound Engineer.

3 people like this

Songstuff has showed a path to this ignorant soul. Four years back while looking for a virtual band I stumbled across this beautiful community. The people on board are pro at what they do as well as warm and friendly. Within weeks I made some awesome friends as well as guide and mentors. I was first introduced to Bass Guitar (which, now is my main instrument) here. The articles, the topics and information on songstuff is really helpful.

This place is my second virtual home. If you are an artist or producer or just an amature lyricist. This is the place to be.

Prayag

2 people like this

Whether you've just embarked on your musical journey, or you've already travelled thousands of miles, and had your shoes stolen, SongStuff has a wealth of resources for you. Articles on a variety of subjects related to the craft & business of music, and a vibrant, diverse, friendly and helpful community of users.

2 people like this

I've been looking for a site of this capacity for quite some time. It is very encouraging to get feedback for the work that one does. SongStuff is fantastic! There are bright minds here and we can all improve from each other. That's how you become great. Awesome site.

3 people like this

I joined SongStuff less than a week ago and I'm already amazed with the people and the creative flow that happens here. As a budding musician and lyricist who's publishing his lyrics for review for the first time it means a lot to me that people can be so positive yet at the same time be so helpful to improving my writing. The huge amount of lyrical and musical ideas tossed around on here is inspiring and can often lead to some genius revelations of your own. I can imagine myself being a regular as SongStuff for a very long time.

4 people like this

this site is like an escape for me. I can actually talk to other artists, in my neck of the woods I don't often get that chance. There is so much info and help here and the friendly attitude in the staff propel the same in its participants, which is a rare bird in itself. Everyone should come to songstuff for music info and for self promotion and networking. It's the only place I've found that just makes complete and utter... sense.

:D

3 people like this

I know there are other forums out there, I've even snooped around, but none seem to have such a strong community feel to them as SongStuff. I'm still relatively new to the site, but I've found a bunch of friends who all share a common interest. We're all here because we have a passion for what we do. We'd do it until the day we die even if we never made a penny out of it just because we just love the process of putting our thoughts into words that we hope someone enjoys reading/listening to.

So, a very big thank you to John and all the SongStuffers for making this such a great place for us to fearlessly bear our souls!!!

2 people like this

Since I love writing, I joined SongStuff December last year to publicize some of my works. My first topic received a somewhat hurtful critiques which brought me down, really down. However, being rejected or criticized can actually challenge you, right? Anyway, that enriching experience caused me to write more lyrics... write, write, write!!! And I'm glad that after how many months, I GREW!

Basically, SongStuff serves as a good avenue for everyone who loves music to GROW. :)

SMILE, SongStuff!

Edited by pastel
2 people like this

Songstuff is one of three writers' groups I pay attention to online these days. I have been a writer for 30-odd years. I have learned I cannot write well in a vacuum (by definition, vacuums suck). I need constructive criticism. I need input. I get some here. There's a somewhat different mix of styles and backgrounds on Songstuff which is on occasion very helpful; when I needed to learn about heavy-metal music--how it worked and how it was put together--so I could write a country death metal song, this was the first place I went to--and I got a lot of good help. One of my best collaborations happened here, too: "Simple Questions," co-written with a kid (he was 36) from Norway. I'd never have met him were it not for you folks. So thanks. It's good to be here.

2 people like this

I joined Songstuff just a few months ago. I have found it a friendly and supportive place to be, especially for someone like me, who is new to the whole process of songwriting. I would particularly recommend Songstuff to anyone who, like myself, has just started out. At first, I thought it might be a bit intimidating for someone like me, who is purely a lyricist and not a musician, but how wrong could I be!!

I have been welcomed into the Songstuff community and I have learned such a lot from some of the extremely talented and knowledgeable people who are members here.

My musician friend who introduced me to Songstuff asked me yesterday about the number of posts listed on my profile and whether I had really made that many and my reply was 'Yes, because actually I am now addicted to Songstuff' :)

Edited by JanHutchinson
2 people like this

I came here to get some critiques on my songs and it worked like charm. Here's the best part. I never liked my vocals or thought I should use them but the great people on here kept encouraging me to keep singing and turn them up. So now when I work on a song I can rest a little easier when it comes to using my voice and mixing my songs. If that was the only thing I got out of Songstuff it would be more than good enough. But on top of that, I've gotten some great feedback and suggestions on how to make my songs better. Thank You Songstuff!!

Just 1L

Randy Drilingas

Edited by just1l
2 people like this

I've only been a member for one day and by critiquing others I see where I can improve my skills as a songwriter. Get an idea of what others are looking for in a song, sharpen your writing capabilities. The industry is always looking for great songwriters who can produce hits and here's a way to test the waters to see if your song needs work or is ready for the next step. Thanks John for creating this community of songwriters!

2 people like this

I find songstuff to be a great place to be. Critically listening and replying to others' songs is actually helping me to improve songs I write, both lyrically, technically and musically. Other than that I think there's a lot of talented people on here. Songstuff is a great start to fine tune your songs and listen to other musical influences.

2 people like this

I first joined Songstuff back in May of 2003. It was still developing at that time, but the seed of a great idea germinates quickly. The ethos of the site has flowered into a magical place for musicians, songwriters and lyricists alike. The atmosphere is second to none and a friendly welcome awaits any and all who enter it's doors. No matter what stage of accomplishment you have attained, whether just starting out, or seasoned pro, you'll get good advice, and excellent critical examinations from your peers. It's a remarkable place with an excellent team of writers, moderators and staff, and run superbly by the 'Guvnor' John Moxey. I would, and do recommend this site to anybody wishing to dip their toes into the tepid waters that is the world of songwriting! (Towels are chargeable) Please do pop in for a chat! Or just to read some of the fantastic articles on offer! It's all free!

3 people like this

I joined songstuff to put some of my songs out there to people who have not known me or followed my band in anyway or have been drinking all night,you know the whole YOU GUYS ROCK thing. I have found even as a new member that the members on this site are helpful and honest when it comes to your music if you want opinions of your music good or bad you:ll get it and more.The members here will advise you and point out the good and the bad of your music .That has ,and I remind you I am a new member.... helped me already! I"m happy I found this forum as I love to write music and love to learn as much as I can about writting music. Oh all the members are very nice people too! People who like yourself write and play music,what could be a better tool in your gig bag than 1000 song writters giving you advise.

If your thinking of joining this site think no more,If you write music you need songstuff! Steve

2 people like this

I joined the songstuff community not knowing what to expect and finding more then i ever expected. Tips, tricks, advice, positive feedback along with the negative. And Hoping to make new friends with the same interests and goals in writing amd learning this great art.

2 people like this

I've only been on Songstuff for about 10 days, but I am having a blast already and I've touched on this forum in a blog post, where I have also 'outed' myself as being not only a nerdy guitar obsessive, but also a secret spare-room Garagebander. Gulp...

http://axestogrind.w...nd-polar-bears/

I only really got back into playing guitar about three and a half years ago, after a break that lasted about 13 years. The timing coincided with two major life events; becoming unemployed and becoming a father for the first time, both of which happened in the same week in February 2009.

I suddenly found myself in the situation of transitioning from a high-pressure consulting gig, to being a full-time father of a newborn baby girl. I’d done a part-time MBA before going into consulting, so I had placed my career at the center of my life from the beginning of 2004 until then. Five years of 60-70 hours a week grind. Well, probably more. Before the MBA I was a chip designer at that Big Phone Company that Finland is so famous for. That could be quite an intense job at times too.

Of course in February 2009, I was looking for a new job, but financially-speaking we had a lot of runway. So I wasn’t particularly anxious. Thanks to my unemployment insurance and Finland’s excellent welfare state safety net, we knew we wouldn’t have to sell the car until after the summer and we could afford the mortgage probably for the rest of the year.

This is a time of life I actually remember as being very happy. Although there was a lot of uncertainty, I’d got out of an unhealthy job situation and I could feel the stress leave my body. I also had this incredible gift of a child and family to care for. Newborns of course sleep a lot, as do mothers of newborns. I was left with a fair amount of time on my hands in those early weeks.

It’s at this point that I dusted off the case with ‘Fender’ on the cover and reacquainted myself with my Stratocaster.

I bought this guitar, a Made In Japan sunburst model with a rosewood fretboard, as soon as I got out my first post-university pay cheque in 1994. On the same day I also got a Trace Elliot Supertramp combo (in British racing green) and a Tascam 4-Track Portastudio. My paycheque wasn’t big enough to pay for them all outright you understand, but I put down a deposit and paid for them in installments over the next 18 months.

Although I love guitars with a passion, my aim has never been to be a virtuoso, but really to write songs. I am fascinated by the creative process. Inspiration and craft. I get a rush creating original material. This is what motivates me to pick up the guitar.

I’d dreamed of owning a 4-track since I was a teenager, so getting that Tascam was incredibly exciting. After buying it, I had a brief burst of creativity, writing very few complete songs, but filling tape after tape with riffs and ideas. Then life intervened, and around the end of 1996 I put the guitar down, boxed up the 4 track and other things preoccupied me. I left the UK in 1998, without my musical gear and other things took center stage for over a decade.

By 2009 of course, Tascam four tracks were obsolete. But we had a Macbook and on every Macintosh computer there is a software package called iLife, which includes an application called Garageband. A feature rich, yet user friendly ‘DAW’ (digital audio workstation). A software recording studio. A Tascam on steroids.

Since then, I’ve continued to mess around with Garageband whenever I get the opportunity. Initially the same pattern of lots of ideas as in the 1990s, no finished product. But earlier this year I set myself the goal of completing one song a month and uploading a finished’ MP3 to a blog. I started in March and by the beginning of this month I actually had six tunes up there, so I was a little ahead. It helped that a friend of mine did a kick ass remix of the first track I uploaded to the blog, that really got me moving.

Then about ten days ago I started contributing to a forum called Songstuff. This is a place on the web where amateur, semi pro and pro songwriters come to share their tunes (often via Soundcloud). I signed up for this forum with the aim of getting feedback and advice from others on my material, but I find it equally interesting to critique and give feedback to others. It’s also just a great place to discover new music. The level of talent and standard of material you find there is staggering.

I’ve removed three tracks from the blog, because after joining Songstuff, I know I can make them better. I’ve become more aware of what is possible with home recording and now also I have something of an audience that I want to like my music. I want to raise my game.

If you are interested in hearing my music you can go to my Soundcloud page to steam the tunes

http://soundcloud.com/pboaz

or the blog to download MP3s

http://polarbearsofa....wordpress.com/

I apologize in advance for the singing…

Edited by pboaz
2 people like this

I joined this site originally as a shy songwriter and was very SCARED because song writing is SO personal for me. The moment I started posting, I got an overwhelming positive response helping me build my craft. Since then I have started a band with all original music and have the confidence to do this and try to take it all the way. I can really apreciate how the site is moderated because nothing turns into bashing or anything negative. They immediately put a stop to any hate going on. It's Wonderful and has changed the way I take critique in such a positive way. If you are looking for that extra nudge to HELP you, then Join this site. Everybody is very VERY supportive. Thank you Songstuff!

2 people like this

Though it seems farfetched,I think joining Songstuff has been one of the best things I've done in my life considering the fact that my songwriting has improved SO much as well as my perspectives towards music. There is no alternative to having hundreds of musicians with varying experience being in one place helping each other out and thats what Songstuff gives me,no alternatives!

You're a godsend John! Thanks for Songstuff!

Cheers

Mahesh

2 people like this

I joined songstuff to find other people that song-write, perhaps do some collaborations etc. I found exactly who I was looking for and got some excellent results. Not to mention advice and constructive criticism from people all over the world. It's great for information as well on musical questions you might have. A highly recommended forum :-)

1 person likes this

Oh i joined sonstuff to share first (even i don't share anything at that moment !)

well i'm french and i get great moments to read and hear any of tne sonsstuffer's text / song.

1 person likes this

i stray away from most internet communities for many reasons but for this one i will stick around. A friendly and genuine group of people and an expanse of songwriting information. One of the few sites you can get a respectfully honest review for nothing. -Ryan

2 people like this

SongStuff is full of creative, unique talent and absolutely the place to post your music. You'll get honest responses by which you can improve your songs, musically and lyrically.

4 people like this

What a wonderful place. There couldn't be a more supportive group of people eager to assist in any way possible with your music endeavors. I am so glad I found this site.

3 people like this

I joined because Arty Redsocks referred someone else to check this place out so I thought I would too.Looks like a place that

I would want to be part of.I'm just a backward Songwriter more a lyricist.I really don't write well to Song Form Rhyming Scheme.Meter or any of that I have my co-writers that help me out in that respect.I'm a slow learner but I'm not giving up.

http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?userid=9625

Songs at bottom of my homepage

(~;Yrral Mallik ;~)

Edited by YrralMallik
1 person likes this

This my 200th post here at Songstuff and I wanted to celebrate by offering my strong support for John, the moderators, and all the members here who make this such an inspiring place to reside! Whether you want searching critique, sympathetic listens, challenging conversations and respectful differences of opinions, a chance to be understood by other people like you, or even somewhere to vent about music, the muse and the pleasures/tortures of making music there is no better address.

No better haven in a mainly disinterested world. I have tried quite a few others so I can speak with some experience. I know for a fact my skills are improving every day thanks to this site. May it live forever!

3 people like this