Your Ad Could Be Here

Testimonials

I've only been on Songstuff for about 10 days, but I am having a blast already and I've touched on this forum in a blog post, where I have also 'outed' myself as being not only a nerdy guitar obsessive, but also a secret spare-room Garagebander. Gulp...

http://axestogrind.w...nd-polar-bears/

I only really got back into playing guitar about three and a half years ago, after a break that lasted about 13 years. The timing coincided with two major life events; becoming unemployed and becoming a father for the first time, both of which happened in the same week in February 2009.

I suddenly found myself in the situation of transitioning from a high-pressure consulting gig, to being a full-time father of a newborn baby girl. I’d done a part-time MBA before going into consulting, so I had placed my career at the center of my life from the beginning of 2004 until then. Five years of 60-70 hours a week grind. Well, probably more. Before the MBA I was a chip designer at that Big Phone Company that Finland is so famous for. That could be quite an intense job at times too.

Of course in February 2009, I was looking for a new job, but financially-speaking we had a lot of runway. So I wasn’t particularly anxious. Thanks to my unemployment insurance and Finland’s excellent welfare state safety net, we knew we wouldn’t have to sell the car until after the summer and we could afford the mortgage probably for the rest of the year.

This is a time of life I actually remember as being very happy. Although there was a lot of uncertainty, I’d got out of an unhealthy job situation and I could feel the stress leave my body. I also had this incredible gift of a child and family to care for. Newborns of course sleep a lot, as do mothers of newborns. I was left with a fair amount of time on my hands in those early weeks.

It’s at this point that I dusted off the case with ‘Fender’ on the cover and reacquainted myself with my Stratocaster.

I bought this guitar, a Made In Japan sunburst model with a rosewood fretboard, as soon as I got out my first post-university pay cheque in 1994. On the same day I also got a Trace Elliot Supertramp combo (in British racing green) and a Tascam 4-Track Portastudio. My paycheque wasn’t big enough to pay for them all outright you understand, but I put down a deposit and paid for them in installments over the next 18 months.

Although I love guitars with a passion, my aim has never been to be a virtuoso, but really to write songs. I am fascinated by the creative process. Inspiration and craft. I get a rush creating original material. This is what motivates me to pick up the guitar.

I’d dreamed of owning a 4-track since I was a teenager, so getting that Tascam was incredibly exciting. After buying it, I had a brief burst of creativity, writing very few complete songs, but filling tape after tape with riffs and ideas. Then life intervened, and around the end of 1996 I put the guitar down, boxed up the 4 track and other things preoccupied me. I left the UK in 1998, without my musical gear and other things took center stage for over a decade.

By 2009 of course, Tascam four tracks were obsolete. But we had a Macbook and on every Macintosh computer there is a software package called iLife, which includes an application called Garageband. A feature rich, yet user friendly ‘DAW’ (digital audio workstation). A software recording studio. A Tascam on steroids.

Since then, I’ve continued to mess around with Garageband whenever I get the opportunity. Initially the same pattern of lots of ideas as in the 1990s, no finished product. But earlier this year I set myself the goal of completing one song a month and uploading a finished’ MP3 to a blog. I started in March and by the beginning of this month I actually had six tunes up there, so I was a little ahead. It helped that a friend of mine did a kick ass remix of the first track I uploaded to the blog, that really got me moving.

Then about ten days ago I started contributing to a forum called Songstuff. This is a place on the web where amateur, semi pro and pro songwriters come to share their tunes (often via Soundcloud). I signed up for this forum with the aim of getting feedback and advice from others on my material, but I find it equally interesting to critique and give feedback to others. It’s also just a great place to discover new music. The level of talent and standard of material you find there is staggering.

I’ve removed three tracks from the blog, because after joining Songstuff, I know I can make them better. I’ve become more aware of what is possible with home recording and now also I have something of an audience that I want to like my music. I want to raise my game.

If you are interested in hearing my music you can go to my Soundcloud page to steam the tunes

http://soundcloud.com/pboaz

or the blog to download MP3s

http://polarbearsofa....wordpress.com/

I apologize in advance for the singing…

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I joined this site originally as a shy songwriter and was very SCARED because song writing is SO personal for me. The moment I started posting, I got an overwhelming positive response helping me build my craft. Since then I have started a band with all original music and have the confidence to do this and try to take it all the way. I can really apreciate how the site is moderated because nothing turns into bashing or anything negative. They immediately put a stop to any hate going on. It's Wonderful and has changed the way I take critique in such a positive way. If you are looking for that extra nudge to HELP you, then Join this site. Everybody is very VERY supportive. Thank you Songstuff!

• Editors

Though it seems farfetched,I think joining Songstuff has been one of the best things I've done in my life considering the fact that my songwriting has improved SO much as well as my perspectives towards music. There is no alternative to having hundreds of musicians with varying experience being in one place helping each other out and thats what Songstuff gives me,no alternatives!

You're a godsend John! Thanks for Songstuff!

Cheers

Mahesh

• 2 months later...

I joined songstuff to find other people that song-write, perhaps do some collaborations etc. I found exactly who I was looking for and got some excellent results. Not to mention advice and constructive criticism from people all over the world. It's great for information as well on musical questions you might have. A highly recommended forum :-)

• 5 weeks later...

i stray away from most internet communities for many reasons but for this one i will stick around. A friendly and genuine group of people and an expanse of songwriting information. One of the few sites you can get a respectfully honest review for nothing. -Ryan

• 3 months later...

SongStuff is full of creative, unique talent and absolutely the place to post your music. You'll get honest responses by which you can improve your songs, musically and lyrically.

What a wonderful place. There couldn't be a more supportive group of people eager to assist in any way possible with your music endeavors. I am so glad I found this site.

• 5 weeks later...

I joined because Arty Redsocks referred someone else to check this place out so I thought I would too.Looks like a place that

I would want to be part of.I'm just a backward Songwriter more a lyricist.I really don't write well to Song Form Rhyming Scheme.Meter or any of that I have my co-writers that help me out in that respect.I'm a slow learner but I'm not giving up.

http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?userid=9625

Songs at bottom of my homepage

(~;Yrral Mallik ;~)

This my 200th post here at Songstuff and I wanted to celebrate by offering my strong support for John, the moderators, and all the members here who make this such an inspiring place to reside! Whether you want searching critique, sympathetic listens, challenging conversations and respectful differences of opinions, a chance to be understood by other people like you, or even somewhere to vent about music, the muse and the pleasures/tortures of making music there is no better address.

No better haven in a mainly disinterested world. I have tried quite a few others so I can speak with some experience. I know for a fact my skills are improving every day thanks to this site. May it live forever!

I think I joined the site around October 2012 but didn't really start reading and contributing until early 2013. I have learned more about our craft her on this forum than these few months than I had in the previous 40 years! Undoubtedy though, the best thing about the site is that we support each other. We offer critiques, and in doing so improve our own craft at the same time. If you want to know something, there is a Songstuffer who knows!

I love this site. May it play on in everyone's version of heaven!

Kel

• 1 month later...

I came for the songs and stayed for the rest of what Songstuff had to offer. I was looking for a place just like songstuff and never knew it. I had been posting on a few other sites and was pretty unhappy with the result, lots of work from me for their songs...almost none for the work I posted, or what was said just was not useful.  When I got fed up and started looking around Songstuff came up and I was impressed from the very start.  Once I got involved I found the people here not only helpful but really talented in the music field and very willing to help get my songs sounding better.  Active members and really great ideas that give me what I need to help improve my craft.  I  Really feel both lucky and privileged to be able to be here. I've already told every musician I know to come here and hang out, so if you wondered about joining all I can say is don't worry.....  If you've been wanting to talk to others who are as creative and music mad as yourself....you have come home.

Peace,

James

• 2 weeks later...

I told John, the site creator, mentor, owner nad father figure that he may own the site, but I live here.

Enough said, I think.

Kel

• 2 months later...

It`s really great that I found this website. I consider it unique, not like many other sites for musicians.

This site`s useful, there`re lots of topics for discussion or just observing in order to find out solutions of some questions someone can have.

Here you can communicate with the other people, ask for advice and cooperate. You can share your work and get tips...

Thank you for this site!!!

I've only been on Songstuff for about 10 days, but I am having a blast already and I've touched on this forum in a blog post, where I have also 'outed' myself as being not only a nerdy guitar obsessive, but also a secret spare-room Garagebander. Gulp...

http://axestogrind.w...nd-polar-bears/

I`ve listened to your songs on soundcloud, I like all, especially Winter storms, Long way to midnight1, and Starstuff I like best.

Good luck !!!

I joined this site a month ago and have been looking for something like this for a long time. I got brave put up my first song and got blue writing and comments all through it. I was slightly gutted but pleased at the same time, that someone would take the time and fine tune a few things. Hence I have a much better song and also it has made me think more about how i go about my lyrics. SUCH A GREAT SITE TO WALK AROUND.

I joined Songstuff for a year ago nearly, until then I was a member in a forum attached to the software I use. What is unique about this forum, is that there are so many that put their heart and soul into their music, and also do the same when they critic/advice and help other musicans..

I have got many friends via this forum, and I have already cooporated with some people regards to songs.

For me is a nesessary part of my songwriting to get critics and to develope as a musican to post on this forum. It is something I need to do nowadays. I also like to give feedback to other artists, is quite nice to see you may be able to help aswell. It also develope me as a musican even more.

I am also from Norway so I may struggle a little Lyricwise, but then I see people help with best intentions!

Is a great forum and GOLD for a upcoming artist! :)

• 4 months later...

Initially, I joined songstuff to pitch my lyrics in hope that there may be musicians out there who might be looking for something they think might promote and enhance their best interests, who might play the style of music I like, whom may share the same interests in relation to my lyrics, who would freely be willing to share in their financial success if my creations have had anything to contribute to some of that.  In pursuit of this goal I discovered Songstuff, and just recently have reviewed it a few times.  Thus far, I find it incredibly generously educational thus, and see no limitations in respects to social and skill development networking.  I thought that the founder of this seems to be an extremely helpful and knowledgeable person with great constructive advice who sets a good example as a teacher and a person as well!  I feel any positive feedback that I may post in the future will be based on how best that I can utilize this facility. 

• 1 month later...

Joined Songstuff maybe 3 days ago and honestly I LOVE IT! Love the honest opinions and critiques people give on songs I have done. It shows me where I'm at and how I can improve. One thing that would help would be an iOS App for the iphone!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a site member for nearly 2 years, albeit completely inactive. I just returned just a few days ago, and started participating in the forums, discussion areas, etc. I've been very well treated, accepted as a peer, and even found a great composer as a collaboration partner in just this short period of time, which had not happened on Kompoz.com in YEARS, at least for me! What more could you ask from a free site? The admins are friendly and helpful too, and though they enforce the rules, it's not in a heavy-handed manner. This is the best songwriter's resource I've found, bar none. Yes, I highly recommend songstuff.com

Archived