Your Ad Could Be Here

That Missed Opportunity You Still Kick Yourself About

So, here's mine.....

Years ago, I worked for a company writing training manuals for pulp and paper mills. Yes, if you want to know anything about recovery boilers, I'm your girl! Anyway, all lessons were also recorded and included with the lessons on cassette tapes. Yes, I know I'm dating myself.....no cds back then!

We used a local recording studio to record our lessons. The guy that owned it was this wonderful man named Randy. I don't even remember how it came about, but at some point, he heard some of my songs. He even accompanied me on guitar one night at an open mic gig. Anyway, he loved my music. So much so that he offered to bring in some musicians and give me studio time to record a couple of demos of my songs FOR FREE! His studio was state of the art and he knew what he was doing. Any musicians he brought in would have been top notch too!

I was so excited, flattered.....you name an emotion and I was it! But, guess what. I never took him up on the offer! :scared: I can't tell you how many times I've kicked myself over that one over the years! OUCH!

So, can you top that? :guitar:

Linda

So, "tunesforyou," can we please hear your songs now? Couple million "jes' folks" out here maybe, who just love music and who knows what might happen to those songs in the Internet age?

Ditto thou, "HoboSage." Let us hear it.

Heck, I know a fellow who's a naturalist now who at one time was the bass player for a band that would one day be known as "Creedence Clearwater Revival." They were squat-nothing then, and he went his own way and ('cept for one fairly inconsequential writer's credit which is basically good for lunch money, I think ...) continues to make his daily bread as a naturalist. No one has the gift of foresight. No one who's playing friendly gigs with a squat-nothing band has any way whatsoever to know that one day it might turn into a squat-something band. And, realistically, I don't think that you should kick yourself ... unless, in this hyper-connected day and age, you neglect to "try again."

it's an altogether different world out there now, folks.

I know what you mean, I for sure got one of those opportunities I still think about.... All the time.

Three years ago I started my own marketing company, I had a unique idea and was the first to try to implant this idea. Sadly I got delayed 3-4 months so instead of being the first company to provide this service I was the the 2-3. Because of that the company only lasted 2 years when it could of lasted 4-5 and would of brought in x2 the money per year.

I learned from my mistake and if I have a unique idea like that again ill be prepared.

Hey Mike - I think you misread my intent with this thread. I didn't intend to come across as "oh, poor me" at all! Yes, I could kick myself for not having taken up my friend on his offer! Who wouldn't? But, that's not the reason I haven't done much with my songs over the years. That's all on me, and I'm quite aware of that. Yes, you're right, there are millions of people out there who just might become my fans. Joining this forum seemed to be a good place to start testing some new waters. So, we'll see, right?

But, I just started this thread as a place to share some stories that I think many of us have. Some of them make us cringe, and others make us laugh. I have some of each in my past.

Linda