Your Ad Could Be Here

How Can I Make My Voice More "powerful" Or Carry More?

I've opened the larnyx, I've pressed on the diaphragm, now the problem I'm having is getting my voice to be powerful, or carry over. I sung "Bat Out Of Hell" today and every time I go to dad for critque, he says my voice doesnt carry over. Its such a unnecessary obstacle, what can I do to conquer it?

Hey Dogmatic,

I've been there too (I still am according to some people) so I know what you might be trying to say. In my case it was due to two things. First was maybe a misinterpretation,Vocal timbre. When people listen to a person with a tenor voice singing a "powerful" song,how much ever you try wouldnt convince them. For example,Cant Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley,Elvis has such a deep voice and the song is just perfect the way he sings it. If I sang the same,for some people say I couldnt carry it. For this very same reason,I've been said that I dont have any power in my vocals and on the same day been said by another that I have a powerful voice (probably after listening to one of my songs). If this is the case,sadly,its hard to change people's opinion.

Another thing is that you really are not sounding powerful with your voice. One thing that helped with this is breathing exercises. Believe me when you're singing,the way you breathe has SO much importance. Its not enough that you breathe like you normally do for when you are singing. And no,you cannot change that in one try or by belting it out. Do a few breathing exercises 20-30 mins a day and Im sure you'll find your voice standing like rock(you really will feel your voice being sustained and strong).

Here's a link to the breathing exercises article which you'll find useful. http://vocals.songstuff.com/article/breathing_exercises

You can also search on the internet for more. :)

Cheers ,

Mahesh

Thanks for the tips Mahesh. The issue with people not necessarily believing power is being sung out through a tenor timbre may explain why my dad keeps saying that lingering "it isnt carrying over" comment. Breathing exercises might help push that power out, am I right? I want to sing primarily rock music, and I need my voice to be heard over the other instruments with the mic.

It's really hard to get a good sense of what the problem is here. I find when people tell me I'm not "carrying well" it's usually a way of say that there's something they don't dig, but they are unable to pinpoint it and they use vague terms. If you could link to a recording then we'd get to hear what your voice sounds like, and it might help to better identify the issue :)

• 7 months later...

Something I learned from my years in the theater is make sure you have good breath support. It will make your voice stronger, no matter how loud you sing, and it will make it easier to sing louder and hold your notes longer. And like Mahesh said, do breathing exercises. Vocal ones can help quite a bit too.