Your Ad Could Be Here

One Cover A Week Every Week Until January.

Most of the floor noise is coming from my pedal board, I have a dirt pedal that I always keep on but it's set so it doesn't distort, its almost a clean boost, but it gets kind of hairy if I really dig in, my volume pedal is after my drives, so when I start with a swell it mostly eliminates floor noise on the guitar track :( I agree though, I kind of like some noise too.

haha :P I love that guitar, mine's ok for harmonics, but the neck is perfect for my style of playing so I keep it around.

I think that's one of the big things I've learned so far doing this project, I've been spending a lot of times working on vowels and making it sound like I really mean the words I'm singing. There's been so many lines that I would never ever write, they just aren't worded in a way I would ever use, and it's been really hard for me to figure out to say them without sounding like a fool. But once I figured it out the songs really came alive.

And success! I started writing again, nothing really good yet, but at least it's a step in the right direction :D

*edit* I suck at spelling

Edited by LayneGreene

annnnd here's this week's entry..

Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSVq8v90t4

*edit* added video...

Edited by LayneGreene

I'm a reverb kind of guy :P hmmm, boomy in what way? It's fairly clear through my monitors.

I was listening through my headphones and it was just huge like a mic placed against a brick wall in a small room,

When I sing and...I'm not a singer trust me. I too like reverb because I can hear my voice better. But I'll side chain send the vocals to my headphones with the reverb and to the recording on a separate line that's dry. Then I'll inch any reveb back in always keeping it well below the 40% mark. I learned from the masters of motown. They actually started moving back on the reverb when radio stations started applying reverb at the station.

Oh, okie dokes, I think I know what you're talking about. I just went back and checked all my settings and I had the verb on 35, but I forgot to turn the verb off on the delay. whooops :P

Cover for this week,

It's not terribly polished, and I'm not completely happy with the vocal take, but my grandfather passed away yesterday and I really don't feel like putting more time into it... video to follow sometime tomorrow I think.

I've got a bad connection here. From what I can see and here...Nicely done! You are becoming less camera shy. Still you need to look into the camera a bit.

Haha :P I come from a screen acting background where I was always told "DONT LOOK AT THE CAMERA!" I'll keep that in mind though and try to for the next one, I never would have even noticed, so thanks for the tip!

Video to come... I'm actually not really a coldplay fan, but someone suggested this song so I gave it a whirl.

*edit video is done*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPp0r6CR3hg

Edited by LayneGreene

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever thought....Now's a good time to form a band?

You need to reduce your voice levels and add some compression to it. Again reverb seems a bit much to me.

You are hiding your face. Honestly you can't do that. People need to see your face. You don't have to look in the camera you can get away with looking slightly off camera. But if you want people to notice you more you have to show them who you are.

Other then that... It was a wonderful performance.

I have a band, but we're all in different provinces for school so it makes gigs/recording/practise very difficult. we have a blast over the summer though :lol2:

See, I agree entirely that the vocals are to loud, but any of the mixes where they're less loud I get all kinds of people complaining that the vocals are to low. Maybe next time I'll just let them deal with it! There is a little compression on it, but I've never really messed with compression before the last few weeks so I'm taking baby steps. any thoughts on how I should approach the compression?

I'm trying to get a tripod so I can use my iphone's camera instead of the one on my macbook, I have always forget to check the placement of the computer before I start recording.

and thanks! feedback much appreciated :)

One word of advice.... Stay in Canada.

I live in a border state and pick up a lot of Ontario based radio stations. They consistently feature new talent early on. A buddy of mines son is getting airplay already and has a big cd release coming soon. He's 19 (I think) and going to audio engineering school in Manitoba. My point is don't pull a Neil Young, Pack up a station wagon and head south for success. You'll prolly do better in your own backyard.

Noted! I don't plan on going anywhere for a looong time. I'm going to try and make the music thing work after I finish my degree, but if it doesn't work out I'll fall back on an office job somewhere. What's his name? I try and keep track of these up and comings, lot's of connections to be made!

Also, it's exam time so no cover this week, should be able to slip one in next week and will do 2 the following week to make up for lost time...

Liking your covers thread. In the absence of this weeks one of yours (good luck with the exams by the way), can I present one of mine?

Of course! Nicely done, really dig the guitar sound.

The original point of starting this thread was for other people to do one every week too, but no one joined in! not to late though!! I'll probably continue this after new years cause I'm having fun with it, I hope you'll continue to add yours to the thread too!

Awesome well I'll continue to do so - I've only just started producing my own stuff having been in bands in the past so the sounds will probably be a bit ropey at times but I'll have a few to contribute. Great stuff yourself too, really nice voice you have.