Your Ad Could Be Here

The Future Of Rock Music

The future of rock is kinda uncertain. Rock bands havent held any presence in the Top 5 of the Billboard 200, nor any major radio airplay. Neither has there been any rock albums selling as well as Taylor Swift or Adele. So what is the future of rock? Will Ibanez, ESP, Dean, those type of companies start to close their doors due to the overwhelming reluctance of listeners? Probabky the last time a rock band was consistently on the charts and the sales was Green Day in 2005 with American Idiot. While there were instances of Marilyn Manson, Serj Tankian, and Stone Sour making top preorders, none of them have taken the spotlight as well as albums like Green Days did back seven years ago.

The future of rock as I see it is upcoming acts will find it hard to land gigs and fans due to obstructions by other genres, labels will begin to back off signing new rock bands, and insturments for rock music will begin to be discontinued. A Pearl Jam-like band, where are thou? A Green Day-like band, where are thou? The time is running short and the nightmares for all rock fans might be confirmed by the end of this decade.

Your thoughts?

The problem with the industry today is too much emphasis to put on image rather than talent. There are lots of talented musicians out there but there don't get a look in beacuse they don't have the right image. In terms of rock music lets take a look at my favourite band Alter Bridge. Their last album ABIII which was released in 2010 recieved critical acclaim but only reached #17 in the Billboard 200 and none of the singles from the album made any headway in the Billboard Hot 100 or the chart here in the UK. More recently Mark Tremonti's solo album again recieved critical acclaim but only reached #29 in the Billboard 200.

When it comes to rock music bands and musicians don't do it for chart positions they don't for the love of rock music and it's not just rock, musicians in general make music because it's what they love to do (at least they should!).

In terms of new bands I think they will still be able to land gigs and guitar makers won't go out of business beacuse rock will always have it's place within the music world, however for at least the forseeable future the popuality en-masse won't be there with the rise of music talent shows and girly teens obsession with a certain teen from Canada amongst other musical lowlights of the past decade.

In other words don't worry rock is not going anywhere and you may have to look harder for it, but it will always be here.

:rockon:

however for at least the forseeable future the popuality en-masse won't be there with the rise of music talent shows and girly teens obsession with a certain teen from Canada amongst other musical lowlights of the past decade.

Hey now! We Canadians try to blame the US for him.... ;)

I just saw a commercial about a tour Lady Gagas putting out. Not that I wanted to pay attention but it gave me this thought. Why isnt Shinedown being advertised like that? Why isnt Green Day advertised like that?. Why isnt thousands of teenage girls going after those bands like they do Lady Gaga? It just astounds me.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw a commercial about a tour Lady Gagas putting out. Not that I wanted to pay attention but it gave me this thought. Why isnt Shinedown being advertised like that? Why isnt Green Day advertised like that?. Why isnt thousands of teenage girls going after those bands like they do Lady Gaga? It just astounds me.

Who would be watching to see it? Teen and preteen girls watch CW the shows are geared for them. Preteen teen and 20 somethings are more interested in video games. They won't be watching the CW or television in general (at least not as much)

If your demographic isn't out there viewing it's harder to target. I don't watch conventional TV it's all youtube and hulu for me.

There is no sense advertising if no one who would be interested is going to be watching tv to catch the commerical in the first place.

As well, I like to go out but I also live on a budget. I really would have a hard time justifying spending 100 on a ticket not to mention parking, to see a concert no matter how good they are or how much I like them. I'm more inclined to watch the free shows that are everywhere around here during summer. Great covers and originals in a park with a family friendly environment. (not that I have a family) Rather then say... find a sitter and pay her too. Or go to a pub a relaxed atmosphere I won't have to fight my way out of or pay an outrageous cover and pay high prices for drinks (not that I drink anymore)

It's a saturday night. The only thing on my mind is....coffee have to get to the supermarket before they close.

• 2 weeks later...

Rock music has not had a future for a long time. It is all country now.

Interesting. Always good to know how things appear stateside.

In the UK, country is generally not well liked.

Having said that, I have little idea of what is current though. Popular music seems to largely consist of a dozen people all singing one bland song. They manage about half a line each. Bizarre. :huh:

Interesting. Always good to know how things appear stateside.

In the UK, country is generally not well liked.

Having said that, I have little idea of what is current though. Popular music seems to largely consist of a dozen people all singing one bland song. They manage about half a line each. Bizarre. :huh:

Not very popular in this house. :)

How high on the charts artists get does NOT determine how good they are. Rock does have a future, but it's shifted over to the indie scene, where some really great bands are pushing it to new heights.

As far as guitar companies going out of business, that's not happening soon either, even those who listen to, say, rap or hip hop still enjoy guitar playing, and the industry is far from dead.

How high on the charts artists get does NOT determine how good they are. Rock does have a future, but it's shifted over to the indie scene, where some really great bands are pushing it to new heights.

As far as guitar companies going out of business, that's not happening soon either, even those who listen to, say, rap or hip hop still enjoy guitar playing, and the industry is far from dead.

I agree with the indie statement, in fact I like supporting indie bands more than major bands since indie bands are those who often struggle most to get a audience, make money, etc.

how can rock reinvent it's self when most of the top selling bands are old ones you know,the stones,etc when the beatles 1 came out they were one of the top selling bands of that year and they had not recorded in 30 years, has the music changed ?no only the labels.if it's not making money they don't want it, and apart from youtube how do new bands get out there? sorry state of afairs my freinds,

happy new year to all scotsman89

how can rock reinvent it's self when most of the top selling bands are old ones you know,the stones,etc when the beatles 1 came out they were one of the top selling bands of that year and they had not recorded in 30 years, has the music changed ?no only the labels.if it's not making money they don't want it, and apart from youtube how do new bands get out there? sorry state of afairs my freinds,

happy new year to all scotsman89

Youtube is a excellent promotional tool, and I back it all the way. The only bad thing is how people can priate things off Youtube.