Your Ad Could Be Here

Country Music?

as wrote in an earlier post  I watched a documentary on the origins of country music that was the conclusion of the makers of the program they and I may be wrong but I would have thought they would have done there homework , just a thought. I don't know if you can still access it on line .

Scotsman.

My post was not meant to infer any info posted was incorrect about country music origins..... I have to keep reminding myself that this medium is worldwide posting and communication medium .... and not everyone here is from the USA ..... I notice that its hard to get everyone on the same page for that reason, just like this post...... as a general statement here, in the us .....everyone that I know who grew up listening to the people I listed Conway/etc ... EVERYONE here, says that country music is NOT country music anymore .... its more like 60s pop of rock was .... I've head that statement a million times here ...... people in other country's prob would have no way of knowing this very prevalent view of country music here in thd states ...... to be honest r, right here in Nashville Tenn, any night of the week you go downtown on Broadway to the country bars .... prob 20 country bars there, you MIGHT hear one Johnny cash or Loretta Lynn song ...... you will prob never hear a Dotty West song ..... you will hear blues, rock , rap , and modern "country" played everywhere ...... So my post was directed more about people saying no country is played anymore , rather than the origins of country music ..... I totally missundersfood the topic ..... sorry

midnight (if I may be so bold ) the original post is -was about country music as with a post when many people take part it starts to move in strange directions . but this is good for debate .  every thing changes music , work , even the words we speak ,as the keep adding new words to the dictionary .

debate is good ,

scotsman

• 2 weeks later...

todays country is not country Or anything I would call even close to country.  Russell Moore and IIIrd tyme out, Lynyrd Skynrd, John Prine,  and Jimmy Buffet some artists who people say are not country are 1000x more country than todays artists. Todays country artists are basically just pop artists who sing about supposed country / red neck themed things. Or the ones who rap to a banjo. Which a whole new genre of country music + rap  called country rap or  crap for short !! Bring back the jones, haggard, jennings, owens, and other classic artists. the only  artist  of today who is doing this,  gets  major radio air time , and didn't record in the 80's is Jamey Johnson. 

Wow, at first I only had a few postings on this topic, but now it seems I've opened up a small, but touchy Pandora's box. I appreciate everyone's insights. I guess change is inevitable - and money drives that change. At one time, I used to embrace change - even be a part of it - but I think age has me pining for the "good old days". I think we all kind of get stuck in our heyday. It is always good to see that (from what I've observed) the younger generations have an appreciation for the "older" music.

It's interesting to follow the history of country (as well as other forms) of music. If you listen to bluegrass, often you can hear the Celtic sounds in the songs. Of course, the banjo is a descendant of Africa, so country, like rock, or other genres, have a range of influences. I guess those influences have changed, and continue to change country music.

Of course, my original concern is that in trying to become more relevant (i.e,, marketable/profitable), that the musical elements that make country music unique have been so watered down that it is in danger of becoming extinct. Even when country incorporated rock, it did it in a country fashion. I don't see that happening with today's "country" music.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 17/03/2016 at 0:22 PM, Farah Khan said:

I think the Pakistan music is best all over the world because it contains best quality of lyrics, melody and music.

That very interesting Farah. Perhaps you would post a link to such an example for us? Yes?

Country music in the uk is very under appreciated. I am in two 7 piece bands and I am the only one among the remaining 12 that has any interest in country at all. Some of these people are very experienced, include music teachers and are open minded in most every other respects.

This is why Elvis Costello made that apologist type statement when he wrote on the cover of Almost Blue "WARNING: This album contains country & western music and may cause offence to narrow minded listeners"

I was led gently into country by country rock artists I suppose. Beginning with the Byrds, through to Poco, NRPS, Marshall Tucker Band etc.

Its sad about the uk's blind spot for country, but as the saying goes, 'there's no accounting for taste'

On 23/03/2016 at 0:17 PM, Farah Khan said:

I listened to most of it. The last link didnt work.

Yes very good. I enjoyed it. I was not able to relate any of it to country music though.

Thanks Farah