Your Ad Could Be Here

2013: Fresh Start For Rocknroll?

Ok this topic is somewhat relevant to the rock topics I have made before but this is a whole different cpnversation in itself. From when rock took the first blow to the head by Lady Gaga in 2007 to another by LMFAO in 2011 to yet again another Carly Rae Jensen in 2012, rock has been on the operating table, struggling to keep a beep going on the heart monitor.

But will this year be the time? When now we don't have to worry about presidental nominations and political ads but blow the dust off that ESP in the basement and crank up the amp? According to the Tampa Bay Times, its being pointed in the right direction.

You can see for yourself here:

http://www.tampabay.com/features/music/will-rock-n-roll-edge-out-dance-music-in-2013/1268043

There are some hurdles detected in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2013, when Lady Gaga, Enimem, and Mariah Carey take aim and fire with new releases in this war to claim the charts. But salvation is out there, with new releases from Avenged Sevenfold, Black Sabbath, and Rob Zombie to name a few. You can take a peek at a partial list of soldiers going in for the fight here:

http://loudwire.com/2013-albums/

We could use more bands like Rammstein,where they mix electronic music and rock music together.

Your take?

I hope there is a turn around soon. It was a bit discouraging looking at the Billboards Top 100 Chart this year. It sucked! It will come around again. People will get bored of the "fluff."

There are some strong rock influences in a number of pop acts over the last 3 months. Jist listen to "locked out of heaven" by Bruno Mars, or pink's latest single, or that of Tulisa. Rock is either present in the distorted guitars, song structures or anthemic melodies. While none of those songs are out and out rock, they each have a strong rock influence in there.

That is all to the good. Rock has been reinvented many times over since it's beggining, absorbing influenves from many other genres along the way. Sometimes that reinvention has been spurred by mainstream influences, other times indie or underground scenes, and at other time it has been technology that has lead the way.

The point is that music is successful when it is creative, attention grabbing, and memorable. While tastemakers and music managers could take some of the blame, much lies with many rock bands churning out safe music, with so little difference between bands, so little ground breaking being done... rock lost much of that edge. It will rise up, I am sure, but it is going to mean break some serious ground to really do so. A lively pop-rock scene might be just enough to kick rock's backside into some limelight long enough for rock bands to wake up and smell the coffee.

One thing that does make it harder than is used to be is the DJ / artist / producers turning up at a venue with a laptop to plug into a resident PA system to perform. That is a tastey proposition for club owners. No crew. No amp or other gear. Minimal band members. High likelihood of a good quality sound and more. Sure rock often goes to different venues but it has to go some when kids compare locsl live bands and the quality of set a decent DJ can deliver. A small factor maybe but there are many.

To be popular again, rock has be cool / rad / hip whatever it needs to be. So much depends on image, and that is down to how rock bands present themselves and a whole lotta hype.

Rock bands are the only ones that can pull their nuts out the fire. They have just seemed almost static in comparison with a multitude of pop acts.

They had better be on their A game, or they will never catch, nevermind create, the next big wave.

It has to be said that there are plenty of other languishing genres. They too are pretty static when it comes to new ideas and technologies. It really is about time that bands wised up,, stopped playing so safe and started leading the way.

As ever there are always exceptions, but sadly that is exacty what they are. Foo Fighters, Muse.... it is a short list of older bands.

There are also far, far fewer teenagers seriously spendiing time learning how to shred. Kids live in an instant result minimal effort society and they expect things at the push of a few buttons. Why spend hours on your own practicing, practicing... when they can download decent virtual gear, effects and editors that make it easy to create a pretty decent finished track based on loops, sequences and samples and with no music training.

Does rock have the balls to reinvent itself? Maybe but it had better do it soon.

Oddly I'm not concerned with the future of rock and roll. I used to be but I think for several reasons John pointed out it's withering. Just as swing and bebop have. On the otherhand I'm always encouraged by what I see on youtube. People of all ages still making music. So while video games and social networks seem to be talking a good portion of todays youth there are still people playing music. People of all ages.

When I was a kid there was this saying that was going out of style.... Don't trust anyone over 30. Granted it was a phrase from the mid 60's and I was living "Worlds away" in the 70's. Today that stigma is gone. Kids who want to learn rock and roll will ask a teacher to learn "Johnny B Goode" Today I see kids and young adults on youtube doing covers from the 30's thru the double OO's So maybe not everyone is into video games or simply into their own pop culture as we'd like to think.

Granted it has diminished a bit more over for lack of venues for young to perform at. In the summer I'll bring my guitar to a park and just play. I've been doing it since ...oh the 70's and it used to be that I'd encounter a fellow musician and work out a jam. Exchange some ideas. Then they might go off to study in someone's basement. Not anymore. No one shows up for a causal jam in a park. There are less generational jams as well. (Parent playing with their kids)

There are some strong rock influences in a number of pop acts over the last 3 months. Jist listen to "locked out of heaven" by Bruno Mars, or pink's latest single, or that of Tulisa. Rock is either present in the distorted guitars, song structures or anthemic melodies. While none of those songs are out and out rock, they each have a strong rock influence in there.

That is all to the good. Rock has been reinvented many times over since it's beggining, absorbing influenves from many other genres along the way. Sometimes that reinvention has been spurred by mainstream influences, other times indie or underground scenes, and at other time it has been technology that has lead the way.

The point is that music is successful when it is creative, attention grabbing, and memorable. While tastemakers and music managers could take some of the blame, much lies with many rock bands churning out safe music, with so little difference between bands, so little ground breaking being done... rock lost much of that edge. It will rise up, I am sure, but it is going to mean break some serious ground to really do so. A lively pop-rock scene might be just enough to kick rock's backside into some limelight long enough for rock bands to wake up and smell the coffee.

One thing that does make it harder than is used to be is the DJ / artist / producers turning up at a venue with a laptop to plug into a resident PA system to perform. That is a tastey proposition for club owners. No crew. No amp or other gear. Minimal band members. High likelihood of a good quality sound and more. Sure rock often goes to different venues but it has to go some when kids compare locsl live bands and the quality of set a decent DJ can deliver. A small factor maybe but there are many.

To be popular again, rock has be cool / rad / hip whatever it needs to be. So much depends on image, and that is down to how rock bands present themselves and a whole lotta hype.

Rock bands are the only ones that can pull their nuts out the fire. They have just seemed almost static in comparison with a multitude of pop acts.

They had better be on their A game, or they will never catch, nevermind create, the next big wave.

It has to be said that there are plenty of other languishing genres. They too are pretty static when it comes to new ideas and technologies. It really is about time that bands wised up,, stopped playing so safe and started leading the way.

As ever there are always exceptions, but sadly that is exacty what they are. Foo Fighters, Muse.... it is a short list of older bands.

There are also far, far fewer teenagers seriously spendiing time learning how to shred. Kids live in an instant result minimal effort society and they expect things at the push of a few buttons. Why spend hours on your own practicing, practicing... when they can download decent virtual gear, effects and editors that make it easy to create a pretty decent finished track based on loops, sequences and samples and with no music training.

Does rock have the balls to reinvent itself? Maybe but it had better do it soon.

djThats true and very sad. Even if we could get someone to play a piano that would be a improvement instead of hitting a button on a computer. To be blunt, we could use another Nirvana, maybe another Kiss or Marilyn Manson. Some band to give that same image that Lady Gaga uses to magnet fans to her. A shock rocker image maybe would bring some youth energy to the venues.

Club managers like that very much, at least if the DJ could prove he could sing, that would be a first. Young people today are being drawn by electronic music, by music not drawn from guitars. Thats why a urgent need for more bands like again Rammstein would give rock a chance to reunite, to get back some of that gravity it had through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. A band consisting of another Richard Kruspe and Flake would be great.

Re-invention is fine and good. It entails integrating a new element.

Re-hashing is retrogressive. Its indulgent nostagia gone out of control.

• Like 1