Your Ad Could Be Here

What Did You Do With Music Today?

We may not always have a finished song to post or specific topic to discuss.. so this is a good thread (very popular on other forums) to just comment on what you did with or for your music today.

I think it's helpful for others to get a better understanding of what makes musicians/artists tick.

• Like 2

I practiced mastering down a "song in progress" to find a balance between being as loud as other recorded music and still having dynamics. About 15 mixes and I think I'm getting closer :)

add: Also tried writing some lyrics to the music. Not my normal process.. I usually write lyrics and music in tandem.

Edited by djax

Today I worked on performance on piano and guitar, only for about 90 minutes in total, plus about 30-40 minutes working on the melody and chords for two new songs. Although not strictly music, I also spent about 40 minutes working on a new article for the site on AAB (12-Bar Blues) song form. :) Good topic djax :)

I went over Rory Gallagher's 'I Fall Apart' in my mind and sang a new melody to it.The new melody was not complete. It had more blue notes to it and had more of a soul feel.

I am without a musical instrument today.

Went to a techno DJ show... Kevin Saunderson and Derrick May.

Learned a bit more about "rockin' the crowd" :)

• Noob

Today I mixed drums for a new track of my bands! (Sidewalks). It was a great experience as I'm trying to try different angles.

Today I mixed drums for a new track of my bands! (Sidewalks). It was a great experience as I'm trying to try different angles.

Nice .. different angles help to keep things in perspective...

I mic'd and recorded some live raggedy drum sounds in a big open reverby space... and a few other industrial steel sounds.

Captured some video of it too.

For a special project I've had in mind for a while now....

More practice on piano, covering a number of genres. Worked on melody and chord structure for a new song.

I sang mixolydian improv over F & D# alternating chords.

Should have recorded.....

Edited by Rudi

I messed around with EQ and Compression on a song of mine so I can try to get better mixes and get the bass to really "thump"... and failed! Back to the drawing board.

I composed music for a song I wrote a couple of weeks back. I've had the melody in my head for what seems like an eternity.

Been spending a bit of time on the IDM forums (Electronic music.. techno,house,etc.) and working on that genre....

but not neglecting the others styles ;) .. workin' on my chops.

This is a great idea for a forum thread -- I'm surprised I actually haven't seen one like it until now.

Personally, I seem to go through long periods of music writing slumps, where I don't do much of anything, except simply listen to music. (That's where I happen to be right now.) And then I go through long periods of the opposite, where it's nothing but a crazed frenzy to write music, making sure it's structurally sound, harmonically/rhythmically appropriate for what I'm striving to convey, and melodically strong. I try to avoid writing a whole lot of ideas at once -- for me, focusing on one piece of music on a time is most effective.

What did I do with music today? Listened to Beethoven's Op. 131 for the first time. Listening to music by composers you respect is an education in and of itself, even when your inner "musician mode" isn't engaged.

I've been doing something that I've rarely done over the last few years. Going thru all the old covers I used to perform.

Got in a short round of practice on a handful of songs on my old guitar.

Tweaked one of the better techno/house songs I've been working on...

as well a few others of other styles.

Getting way more familiar with my DAW, my workflow, and getting better at making things sound better. YouTube has proven helpful.. it's pretty darn amazing actually... the wealth of info people share.

Looking forward to having plenty of good music to show for it soon.

Here's one of my first techno releases... a pretty basic but nice sounding jam.

Not a finished piece... but I'm finished with it ha ha... :phone: a fun little demo. Enjoy...

https://soundcloud.c...roit-ride-check

Edited by djax

Took one of my songs and by trying to figure out how to use EQ while mixing, successfully turned it into electronic mush over and over again. 8 tries, each crappy in their own special little way. But I guess on the bright side...

• Like 1