Your Ad Could Be Here

Curious - What Do You Want To Do With Your Songs?

I like to scout out new territory before I pull my rifle out and get serious, so I'm curious as to what the members on this forum want to do with their songs. There are those who aspire to be singer/songwriters, those who only write melody or lyrics and are looking to collaborate and the pure songwriters who are looking to get their songs recorded by signed artists and there are those who just write because they love to write.

About ten years ago when I began to knuckle down to this song writing business, I decided I needed a mission statement that would encapsulate my vision of what I wanted to get out of my songs so that I knew where I wanted to go - it was simply this:

"To hear my songs performed in public venues, i.e. concert halls, radio, TV, Film, elevators, etc."

I was surprised to see that nowhere in my statement did the term "money" come in to play. This year i've begun to perform more.

So, fellow writers, what do you want to do with your songs?

Marty :rockon:

I've been playing covers for so long, just want to write and add some originals into the mix. I don't have any lofty ambitions....

I wanna play my songs and have a few people not walk out... that would be pretty awesome!

• Like 1

MotuKothu,

Man, you made my heart laugh when I read that post - keep your eye on the prize, man, and don't worry about the audience, unless they're holding rotten fruit... :eek:

Hi Marty

You might be interested in this related topic

I want to have someone I dont know listen to one of my songs and say "I feel like you wrote this just for me". That would be the greatest ever :-)

Edited by RaquelSmith

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot write lyrics to save my life. However I'm often inspired to write music for the lyrics I read. When I'm not inspired I turn into the hopeful critic even if appearances seem otherwise. I'm very happy to write instrumentals. And see myself as a collector of styles and methods as well as an explorer of new frontiers in my playing. More craftsman then artisan.

Make enough money to pay off our mortgage. Then work part time and record songs for fun... kind of like I'm doing now but not quite as broke.

Edited by just1l
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I hope to be a singer/songwriter in the sense of people like John Prine and Townes Van Zandt. Since my voice isn't that good, I'll only probably appeal to one fan base. I hope my songs are taken and sang by people who have good voices and have the mass appeal so people can at least hear what I have to say from someone. I also am an album junkie. I never buy singles and rarely do I buy an "essentials" album. I want to hear the artists ultimate idea. So I hope to be able to make every album I make have a piece from every genre and tell an ultimate story. I love the album making process! Also, I have a huge dream to be a record producer and own my own independent label that has every genre on it. In a nutshell, that's my goal I suppose.

I write and record music for all my fans.

Well OK. my ONE fan.

Well, unfortunatly that one fan is ME.

But on a more serious note. More recently I just got into making homegrown albums and I try to do almost everything including art work and CD Production myself.

Probably not to many people will ever hear them. So I don't have to produce to many of them. Lol.  Wait! is that funny?

Peace,

JOe

• 3 weeks later...

would love to sell my stuff, but right now just trying to get some to a point where they are ready to pitch , have no intrest in touring , rather sell them let other artists that tour do that , and me just keep writing music, lol a dream???

• Like 1

30 years ago, when I first started writing songs, I wanted to be a songwriter, and hoped I could find others to perform my songs. 30 years later, I still feel the same. I love writing for writing. I love that I have made people both laugh and cry with my songs. I love that I create them first for myself, but can then turn around and share them with others. I am driven to write. Money has never been my end game....although I can't say I haven't had my fantasies.....don't we all? Music lives inside me. When a song presents itself, I have to write it down. And that is the best thing I can do with my music. Anything else that comes from it would be wonderful gravy!

A few years ago i walked down the isle in Cuba to a song i had written and performed with my band anything after that is just a bonus :-)

Chris, wtf audio

A few years ago i walked down the isle in Cuba to a song i had written and performed with my band anything after that is just a bonus :-)

Chris, wtf audio

I want to start producing songs again, but I only seem to be able to write good ones when I'm either in love or miserable.  I need to make some changes and become inspired again.

The songs I have written were given a bit of airplay and developed a small following.  I was very happy with that.  I'm not much interested in money.  The royalties I made in 2008 - 2010 added up to about enough money for a bottle of wine.

I'm in an honest mood..........

I write songs for myself first. I enjoy doing it. I sometimes enjoy listening to them too (if I think they're any good...if not I bin them), even if no one else enjoys them. I like what I like. If I don't like my own stuff...I might as well not bother because my door isn't being battered down by admirers.

I hope just a few people will appreciate the rough songs I put on here or wherever, to some degree.

What to do with my music beyond that - Possibilities/goals (however unlikely) - When I get something finished to a decent standard, I'll put it out there online. I hope that maybe a hand full of strangers might one day really enjoy a song I've made (whether performed by me or someone else), and listen to it purely for the pleasure of it or because it speaks to them in some way. And I mean really enjoy it, not just stick it on in the background...put headphones on and LOVE it (I can't have a goal of someone maybe thinking my song is ok but disposable). That's quite a goal. We all need a goal...even unlikely dreams.

I'm way too old to trade on being cutting edge, current, cool, handsome or sexy. I'm not talented enough to trade on being the muso's favourite vocal acrobat or guitar genius. Not got a lot going for me really....hmmmm...what the hell am I doin makin music...what's the point!!?? ;)

Oh and my ultimate goal is to get stupidy rich from making music and spend my days in a custom made studio in the converted underground chambers of my own renovated castle. It's not much to ask. Just kidding (I'm not).

Edited by MonoStone

I write songs to deal with my experiences, thoughts and dreams. I don't talk about my feelings much and if I wouldn't let them out by writing songs, I'd be a pretty depressed dude (with a few scars here and there). My friends would be shocked if they heard my songs. So yeah, I'm doing it for myself, but I also want to make music that is relatable to others, who aren't popular or who are unable to be themselves.

I'm planning to finish my home-made album by the end of this year. Making an album is one of my main goals at the moment.

I want to have someone I dont know listen to one of my songs and say "I feel like you wrote this just for me". That would be the greatest ever :-)

Exactly. ^_^

I obviously love to write and make music, but I'll be honest: I also hope to earn a couple of bucks with them someday. My dream is to make a living out of music. I don't know if I'd want others to sing my songs though, like writing for others. In the words of Noel Gallagher: "f*cking write your own songs". :D