Your Ad Could Be Here

Do you use a metronome?

• Noob

hi!

I wondered if you use a metronome when you're recording solo instruments, for example a solo guitar or just a piano (with no drums or bass)!?

on one side the metronome helps me to record in the right tempo, on the other side it often seems like all the emotions get lost because you must concentrate on this click! you just can't play as free as you would without the metronom. how you you work?

As most of my songs contain a drum track, I obviously use that as my metronome. I think if I were to record a track with just guitar, I would still use some kind of click track as a marker.

Why234yes234I234do234in234the234form234of234a234click234track234 ???

• Like 2

Hey, I agree. I always start by using a click, but some Songs lose soul and I need to turn off the click and go by feel. Depends on the Song and also if I plan to add more instruments later.

Hey, I agree. I always start by using a click, but some Songs lose soul and I need to turn off the click and go by feel. Depends on the Song and also if I plan to add more instruments later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2nd that.

If it's a track you don't need to sync to anything else then just let the performer roll.

BS

I wondered if you use a metronome when you're recording solo instruments, for example a solo guitar or just a piano (with no drums or bass)!?

on one side the metronome helps me to record in the right tempo, on the other side it often seems like all the emotions get lost because you must concentrate on this click! you just can't play as free as you would without the metronom. how you you work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Obviously (like others), if the instrument is to be synched later with something else, I use a click track or a drum track.

Supposing the song is really a stand alone instrument, I would tend to practise hard with a metronome (I would tend to say that, if you have to concentrate hard on the click, you haven't been practicing enough), then record without.

Metronome is important when practicing. Too often, "emotion" is an excuse for lousy tempo.

Didier

Hi,

Obviously (like others), if the instrument is to be synched later with something else, I use a click track or a drum track.

Supposing the song is really a stand alone instrument, I would tend to practise hard with a metronome (I would tend to say that, if you have to concentrate hard on the click, you haven't been practicing enough), then record without.

Metronome is important when practicing. Too often, "emotion" is an excuse for lousy tempo.

Didier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't but I should. I tend to speed up during songs!

i find playing to a click far to restrictive.... put down a drum beat. When i record and if there is not going to be a drum track on the song record a real basic one and play to that. I find i dont lose any emotion in the playing when playing to a beat... i do to a click..Then just remove the drum beat once you have done all tracks

Hi Tim

I tend to use a drum beat if I am intending adding a Midi instrument of anykind. I have used a metronome and electronic metronome, but it is harder to work with in terms of feel.

Cheers

John

Hi Tim

I tend to use a drum beat if I am intending adding a Midi instrument of anykind.  I have used a metronome and electronic metronome, but it is harder to work with in terms of feel.

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i find hearing a normal click very difficult...often when recording i have to get someone to tap on the table along to the click so i can hear the timing. Some people can hear the clicks some cant.....

i find hearing a normal click very difficult...often when recording i have to get someone to tap on the table along to the click so i can hear the timing. Some people can hear the clicks some cant.....

If you are using a Midi click, why not change the instrument/sound that is used for the metronome? It might help.

Cheers

John

• 7 months later...

In a word, always... The only way I don't use a metronome is if the artist I'm recording point blank refuses one and will not budge... A lot of people say you can't groove to a click track... That is bollocks! A lot of artists find them tricky at first, but once you get used to them, you'll never want to lay down a track without one... There are many benifits to tracking to a click and absolutely no downsides once you get used to it...

It becomes a lot more problematic to try and use tempo based compression, reverb or delay without a click, and these are all part of the black art of getting a good pumping mix...

Edited by Prometheus

• 8 months later...
  • Noob

Playing to a click will give you much more flexibility later on but playing without one can give more freedom of expression. I think a good rule of thumb is if you think you will need to add anything else then use a click.

• 7 years later...

I never use metronom (it`s not good I know). If I play only guitar it doesn`t matter, if use instrumental progs it doesn`t matter either. It  needs only if I plan to add some arranges to my guitar and then it s a real problem. But I can`t do anything about that, I can`t play with metronom.

I've used both. I've never really understood the difference between using a metronome or click track, and using a drum beat that goes along exactly with the metronome. The main reason I use a drum beat is there's a 99.9% chance it will be the only time I play along with drums. Also, by playing along with drums it helps me accent my guitar parts to certain parts of the drum, regardless of whether a particular beat or cymbal crash I hear in my head is actually in the drum beat. It's kind of like using that to help write an envisioned drum beat for the final tune.

Additionally if you were to use a click track and then add drums later, it would be a mistake to not re-record your guitar based on the newly laid down drum track. There could be nuances in the drums that may alter the exact way you're playing the guitar. Something I would call "the little things". A way to add a little more excitement, licks and variation to the song.

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

metronome? @#%*  NO ! :SHOCKED2:

They unravel the mood of the music, turning everything into a fisher-price-toytown-glee sound.

A drum or hihat sound is ok as a time marker, but the metro gnome must be shot on sight.

• 4 weeks later...

As drummer in this modern age i find its a key part of my practice. It really helps you realise what sort of tempo ranges you feel more familiar in. I try and make a note of tempos where i feel less confident to try and work on building that up. When it comes to recording i much prefer recording to a click, it allows for more flexibility when editing and layering up multiple instruments. I see what people have mentioned above about how it can suck the soul out of a performance. My advice would be more to use it as a guide, rather than trying to make sure every note lines up perfectly. The sound of the metronome can really change how you feel about it, i cant stand the "beep" sort of sound. I tend to use the rimclick on a snare drum.

Hope that helps

Ryan

I use a selected drum drum pattern, but sometimes the music will defeat any attempt to use a metronome. Anything with tempo changes or time signature changes will do that.

I have a solo instrumental with multiple temp & rhythm changes. Just as well it is unaccompanied!

Rudy - if you use an 8th note click i find you can still program all the tempo changes and time signature changes into the arrangement, i would be interested to hear that instrumental!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Its not been recorded yet. But the tempo will change slowly (rallentando), it will accererate and de-accellerate.

Its about 6.5 minutes long and has about 9 time signature changes.