Your Ad Could Be Here

Broken Strings?

Hi there!

So I'm a beginner at guitar, and today my second E string (as in the smallest and highest string) broke completely in two. So as a beginner, I have no idea how to fix it! I'm guessing that I have to take it down to an instrument repair place, but then I heard someone talking about just stringing a new string right on. Also I was wondering if breaking a string in less than a year of owning the guitar is a normal thing or not!

So basically I just need to know how to fix my guitar before I break it some more!

Thank you!

Mary

It won't be the last either Mary. My advice would be to always have a complete set spare and ready to use.

Some "guitarists" will also advise you to restring the lot when you break one. That is a little like Mario Andretti telling you to always change all four tires on your car if one goes flat. Maybe it's necessary at Daytona, but not not for the family station wagon.

When I was learning, I tended to break the G, B and E strings regularly. I suggest you keep a small supply of these, in addition to a full set. However, always use the same brand, and the same gauge. Visit your local music store regularly. Even if just to check out the books. You'll get to know them, and they you, and you can pick up all sorts of advice because one thing most musos like to talk about, is gear and music.

I bought a new accoustic guitar last February 2012, and it still has the same strings! Unexpected breakages will still happen, but not so frequently.

Cheers,

Kel

Edited by Kel

Thank you both! I'll get straight to the music store and get a bunch of strings to fix it up! I just wasn't sure if fixing it myself was safe but now all my doubts are gone! Thank you again!

Mary

Buy two full sets of strings and about 3 or 4 additional high E & B strings a la carte, because you're more likely to break those. I usually don't break the wound G on acoustic, but I lose a lot of unwound Gs on the electric, YMMV...

Thanks everyone! My guitar is all fixed and it only cost me $10! I also got a bunch of spare strings so I should be set for a while. Thanks again for saving me!

Mary

I haven't broken strings in over ten years and then had it happen on two guitars in the same day.  I used to play with this "angry" guitarist. He went out of his way to break strings because...It would make him mad and he believed that he played better mad.  Suffice it to say we had a very limited partnership.

When I was seriously recording and seriously performing.  I would always carry a spare guitar and a few sets of strings. I wasn't one of those who would break a string then change it on stage.  As well I would always change them all if one broke simply for consitency.

A new string will sound brighter then an old one.  Granted sitting around the house playing a few songs it doesn't matter that much but when you are being paid to perform especially in the studio it does matter because one bright string even if it's in tune will stand out in the producers as well as the engineers ear.  Back then I'd change my strings religiously every two weeks.  Now there aren't any local paying studios and live performance is a thing of the past for me.