•  

Welcome to Songwriting and Music Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account

You are one step away from taking part in the most inspiring community of musicians and songwriters.

It won't cost you a single cent.

Click NOW to get instant access!

Posted Image

Posted Image

or

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

That's A Laugh (You're Killin Me)

rock

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LooknGlass

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hi all, I've been away awhile because of one family crisis after another. I haven't wrote anything in a while, but recently I was at a family gathering; Family member 1 (F1) was telling F2 that he shouldn't smoke marijuana and an argument ensued. This lyric is as close to verbatim I can get as to how F2 replied. F1 drinks heavily on weekends; F2 smokes occasionally on weekends. In context of the way he said it in person "You're Killin Me" he meant literally as well as he meant, "That's a joke".... Thoughts and opinions welcome.

(Vs)

I like to get high every once in a while

it cures my ills and makes me smile

Should I judge you for getting drunk today?

Tell me which is worse, I'll listen close,

then I'll tell you what everyone knows;

the plant I smoke keeps violence at bay;

drives it away,

only kills me with laughter.

(Ch)

You're killin me

You're funny as hell

How can you put me down

Please do tell

You're killin me

With hypocritical talk

Your vice verses mine,

leaves you no reason to mock

Tell me, who causes the most misery?

I'm busting a gut; you're killin me

(Vs)

You drink and get mad, while I toke to get calm

You drive really bad; I mosey along,

but don't advocate either behind the wheel.

The safer the better is what i say;

which causes the most harm today?

I think you already know how I feel

I'm finding still

your logic hilarious

(Ch)

You're killin me

You're funny as hell

How can you put me down

Please do tell

You're killin me

With hypocritical talk

Your vice verses mine

(Bridge)

Statistically, you're more a threat than me

from any angle you can find.

Alcohol's killed more families

than weed has all through time

(Ch)

You're killin me

You're funny as hell

How can you put me down

Please do tell

You're killin me

With hypocritical talk

Your vice verses mine

© L. James Tanner

<strong class='bbc'>"pax vobiscum"</strong>

#2 BK Williamson

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hey James,

I love the story / logic and truly believe it's true.  We'll probably see Pot legalized during our lifetime.  I don't necessarily think that's a good thing personally.  I've seen what a lot of the young kids are doing today to themselves and their families and it really is amazingly insane.  I always used to argue that Pot never led to harder drugs but I now believe it all depends on the individual.  If they have an addictive personality then it probably does.  

Anyway,  your lyric looks great!!  

All the best,

Bryan 

#3 tomcollins

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

nice to see ya bro, like the story here and well , I am on one side of it , but we will keep it .. choke choke... to our selves ,

rock on !!!!

life is short ,play hard and make the music sweet Posted Image !!! Rock On !!

#4 jimcolyer

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

It's a debate that goes back to the 60s.  Nice work, James. 

#5 unforgotten

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Alcohol is more of a threat then marijuana in any case. toking is a lot safer although you can freak out at times. and alcohol, lets just leave that there cause we all know it destroys lives in many cases.

#6 soundwave

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

I like that you addressed some serious, sensitive subject matter (alcoholism and marijuana). People think that just because the law allows alcohol but forbids weed, that automatically makes weed worse for your health. They don't give it any more thought than that. I like that you're educating the masses with your music.

#7 rhyme or reason

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

LG, I think F1 should get a joint from F 2 , rent a canoe and start paddling...downsteam.

#8 LooknGlass

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hey James,

I love the story / logic and truly believe it's true.  We'll probably see Pot legalized during our lifetime.  I don't necessarily think that's a good thing personally.  I've seen what a lot of the young kids are doing today to themselves and their families and it really is amazingly insane.  I always used to argue that Pot never led to harder drugs but I now believe it all depends on the individual.  If they have an addictive personality then it probably does.  

Anyway,  your lyric looks great!!  

All the best,

Bryan 

Thanks for the comment Bryan. Although I gave up my partying days a long time ago, I have found I like being around my smoking relatives more than my heavy drinking ones. No fights, no big embarrassments and 99% happiness. I'm up in the air about legalization; there are pros and cons. You touched on one of the cons. With some people it leads to harder stuff, with others it doesn't. But I would rather have my sons behind a wheel after smoking then after drinking if I had to pick the lesser evil. But would prefer they didn't drive at all after using either.

#9 LooknGlass

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

nice to see ya bro, like the story here and well , I am on one side of it , but we will keep it .. choke choke... to our selves ,

rock on !!!!

lol...Thanks Tom, I kinda "choke choke" got that impression from you anyway...lol

It's a debate that goes back to the 60s.  Nice work, James. 

Thanks Jim, appreciate the read and response.

#10 LooknGlass

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Alcohol is more of a threat then marijuana in any case. toking is a lot safer although you can freak out at times. and alcohol, lets just leave that there cause we all know it destroys lives in many cases.

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment unforgotten.Appreciated.

#11 LooknGlass

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

I like that you addressed some serious, sensitive subject matter (alcoholism and marijuana). People think that just because the law allows alcohol but forbids weed, that automatically makes weed worse for your health. They don't give it any more thought than that. I like that you're educating the masses with your music.

Thanks for the comment soundwave. After seeing all the stuff on the news about this topic and then witnessing a family argument over it, I felt compelled to write something.

LG, I think F1 should get a joint from F 2 , rent a canoe and start paddling...downsteam.

.....F2 is now asleep. Rowing is out of the question. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users