Your Ad Could Be Here

1965-1970, The Magic Years

• Noob

Many times I wondered why the years between 1965 and 1950 were such a prolific time for music creativity.

In case you think I’m wrong, may I remind you of a few names who started writing songs in those years like the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, The Rolling Stones, Procol Harum, CSN&Y, just to name a few? :worship2:

I could easily fill two pages with talented musicians from that period, while I couldn’t think of a single name from the third millennium. :no:

What did these people have in common? Was it just a lucky combination? I don’t think so. One possible explanation is looking at their birth dates: all these people were born between 1940 and 1945 and were in their 20’s during the magic years. Is it possible that the social and economic environment that they grew up had a dramatic positive influence on their creativity?

I think the answer is yes, and I think that probably the main reason is that in the 40s there was no TV. Boys and girls did not sit in front of a screen for hours a day watching to cartoons, sit-coms and (worst of all) MTV. There was also a lot less money and not as many gadgets, music was a scarse resource and a record to put on the turntable was a precious gift.

I’d like to hear the opinion of others on this subject, so come on, don’t be afraid! :cool2:

There was a lot of artists all pulling in different directions. Only the creativity was common to all of them.

Some of it was begun earlier than 65 but..

There was certainly a backlash against pop music singles. That had not happened before. Not with Rock & Roll it didnt. Part of that was the blues rediscovery, and some of it was out & out experimentation with song forms and music forms.

In terms of the electric guitar it was an almost blessed period. The analog distortion amazed people. It wasnt 'really' new, but it was appreciated as a new sound, instead of shunned as unwelcome distortion. It was a bit like MSG: you sprinkled it on everything and it made everything taste good. 

Now we simulate those sounds digitally and most of the time get it wrong. We instinctively go for more distortion and then wonder why it is only other metal players that are listening.

But I digress. I loved King Crimson & Pink Floyd at this time. Especially Floyd. I really thought that the title track 'Saucerful of Secrets' was pointing to the future.

Also, as Frank Zappa identified, record companies didnt understand what was going on, so almost anyone was given a chance, and those that did were allowed to indulge themselves (if they insisted!).

Ever heard the track 'Saucerful of Secrets? Can you imagine this being permitted for inclusion on a release by a young band today?

Can you imagine the reception Bob Dylan would get on The X Factor?

Even on here at SS we try hard to fit into well tried moulds established many years ago.

Pot, LSD and the free time to enjoy them. Nowadays all the free time is taken up by distractions. Like the TV but mainly the distraction of the dumbphone. Which I also believe is one of the reasons music isn't as popular with the younger set as it was with the older generation. Back then what did you have to do in your free time? Play, listen to music. Nowadays it's check the phone, check the phone and then check the phone. There isn't the desire to lay down and listen to music with the headphones and read along to the lyrics or check out an album or CD cover. They're so used to distractions I'm not sure they could sit on their bed through a whole album. But, with the legalization of POT spreading through America, there's a chance a larger group of kids will be able to relax enough to do just that.

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

• Noob

Just, as you say, today's young people don't listen very much to music, they don't lay on their bed with headphones and listen to a whole album. I used to do it a lot, and we exchanged LP's between friends because they were rare and expensive. Reading biographies of musicians from that era (I'm reading Keith Richard's now, and before that I enjoyed very much FZ biography), I see again and again that they did the same thing: listening to music and meeting other kids with the same passion.

Why it doesn't happen today? Distractions and dumbphones are a reason for sure, but I wonder if it's also because there isn't anything good to listen to!

Whatever kids do now, the OP was really about the innovation & quality of the music.

LOL I agree. My ramblings tend to take off in different directions at times. So, on that note, along with the plethora of reasons the music back then might be better, I agree with just about everything Rudi above mentioned and I'll just stick to my original thought… pot and lsd. 

Drugs, combined with Rudi's statement …

Also, as Frank Zappa identified, record companies didn't understand what was going on, so almost anyone was given a chance, and those that did were allowed to indulge themselves (if they insisted!).

… gave musicians the freedom to do what they wanted. I'm fairly certain most of them weren't reading "how to write a song" books (not to knock anyone who does), although I'd also venture a few did. One thing about music from that era is that it's sincere. You can feel the music like you are there or want to be there with them because it was real, they were living it. It came from inside them, how they felt and what they were doing. It wasn't just music, it was a movement for an entire generation that was breaking the shackles of the way youth were supposed to behave and the music served as a handbook on how to do it. It was a perfect reflection on how the youth were feeling.

On the other hand, if you were to ask my Dad about the music between 1965-1970, he'd say it wasn't as good as the music in the 50's. <--- crap, there goes the rambling again…

Edited by Just1L

On the other hand, if you were to ask my Dad about the music between 1965-1970, he'd say it wasn't as good as the music in the 50's.

Absolutely.

I fully expect a bunch of youngsters to glance at this discussion and write us all off as cranky old guys who are 'out of touch'.

But you dont have to look far to find some young artists you cite the Beatles or The Kinks as their major influences.

Are there any out there that feel the same about Pat Boone or the Beverly Sisters?

No there isnt.

Couple of weeks ago I sang Karaoke in a bar for the first time in my life.  I chose "Silver Springs" by Fleetwood Mac cause I've just always liked that song and it was a quick pick out of a book of like 1000's of songs.  The DJ had never heard of Fleetwood Mac.  I almost had to smack myself in the head to get my next words out.  I said "WHAT?" to which he asked, "How old do you think I am?"

For me, I'd extend your timeline right up to about the middle of the disco era, just exclude the disco part.  That way I could add some of my favorite albums.

today's young people don't listen very much to music, they don't lay on their bed with headphones and listen to a whole album.

Don't they? I mean...I'm not saying they definitely do since I don't know for sure but... surely they must do? Surely it's similar now to how it always was...some kids aren't THAT deeply into music but some are REALLY into music. I just find it really hard to believe that teenagers no longer listen to music as much. Sure some of them spend too much time listening to One Direction or whatever (but it still counts as listening and I reckon many do that obsessively)... but still I bet a whole load get just as lost in new indie music, rock, metal, or whatever as any of us did. Round here it's rare to see a teenager without headphones on... they seem to listen non-stop, not just on their beds....and I think people share music now more than ever.

It's maybe true to say that an LP seems less special now, since it's likely a download with no sleeve to read through, and because it's one of SO many...somethings lost there... but gained in other ways.

I don't think teenagers will ever stop finding cool new music (or finding cool classics) and sharing that with friends, and being just as into it as any of us are/were.

Re magic years - I'm way beyond teens (WAY!!) but still find brilliant new music, both signed and unsigned (also agree with David... there's plenty here alone)... plus Soundcloud and similar are overflowing with creative original music.... the only sad thing is that not enough of that makes it out to the masses, record companies won't take the risks they used to ... and so the mainstream has a fair amount of manufactured crap in it, but it's out there for sure. And there's talent to rival the greats too ... but generally overlooked and not given the chance to be great. I suppose it's harder to be totally fresh now though...

Edited by MonoStone

. . . from rapping to simple "beats" and loops they find on the internet, to creative multitrack recordings they make on their computers and iPads, given how music-making tech has evolved and been made available to the masses, I wouldn't be surprised if more young people are making music today more so than ever.

I reckon it's absolutely the case, I'd put money on that. Not so long ago, as an unsigned artist wanting to get your music heard you HAD to get studio time (which was never cheap), and then peddle your wares at gigs and any record shop kind enough to stick one on the shelf.... It's never been as easy as now.... add that to today's culture of 'anyone can be 'famous'' and there's bound to be a flood.

I think it's a great thing. I wish it had been this way when I was in a band... using Facebook is way simpler (and safer) than taking your chances plastering posters around town or writing the band name across the local railway bridge (that wasn't me!!!).

Harder to stand out though....

It's a shame there aren't more people listening on places like Soundcloud/Bandcamp etc purely as listeners rather than as fellow musicians.

Ummm.... did I just go way off topic? I dunno... sorry if so.... Rambling........

• Noob

McNaughtonPark: I know there was some good music in th 70's too, here in Italy the years between 1970 and 1973 were the best, with a few prog rock bands and some songwriters, but in my opinion the decline after 1973 was really sharp, with lots of bands that had previously made history making some pathetic attempts to follow the tastes of mass consumers to make some money (Genesis is one example).

Of course there were exceptions (Frank Zappa, to name one, produced great music well into the 80s)

Monostone: I'm sure there are some talents out there now, but unfortunately they don't make it to big distribution, so it's hard to find them... I guess a forum like this one should be a good place to find new talents. On the other hand, I think that if there are some real talented innovators out there they will come out, if there is enough demand for good music. My point is that I don't see that demand!

Monostone: I'm sure there are some talents out there now, but unfortunately they don't make it to big distribution, so it's hard to find them... I guess a forum like this one should be a good place to find new talents. On the other hand, I think that if there are some real talented innovators out there they will come out, if there is enough demand for good music. My point is that I don't see that demand!