Your Ad Could Be Here

How Important Is Band Image?

16 members have voted

1. 1. How important is band image to success?

• Very
    • Quite
    • Not very
    • Not at all

This has been an on-running dispute between me and a band member for a while now. He believes that you can succeed on musical and lyrical strength alone, whereas I think that that helps although the most important ingredient is image: you're selling a product, after all, and people don't buy a product unless it's packaged right. For added context, we have heavy punk leanings.

Thank you for your help.

• Editors

It is a very important aspect indeed. You need to stand out from the rest of the crowd. That does not exactly mean that you need to wear costumes or something. The image, small or big, should make an impact on the crowd. I'm too sleepy to continue but I will say this as my opinion, musical and lyrical strength is NOT enough. All those who made it big without having any fancy image or something made it big by projecting themselves. The image that they already had was good enough to make people think twice about them (consciously or subconsciously).

Good topic man,

Cheers

Mahesh

They're equally important. That being said, it depends on the image itself. In your case, a punk rock band, you can have a horrible image in the eyes of the public, like say the Sex Pistols, but only if that horrible image is accepted and liked by your fans. If your image sucks to your fans you won't have any fans. Where will that get you?

Once upon a time maybe, but that time was long ago. Every single signed band has image work done, even in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s never mind now. Now you absolutely NEED to consider image. Anything else is simply lazy dellusion.

Ok, not true. if you are happy being a local band, playing small venues, then sure go ahead, look how you like :)

I would have thought, being punk, image was uber-important!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Band images are very important, so important at times they can make or break you.

Along with the decisions you have to make in what music you'll play and what band name you will choose, you have to also consider what your image will be. Images nowadays have become more and more obscure. You got Eminem in a hoody posing with a boombox over his shoulder and Miley Cyrus posing as if she were at a Gentlemen's club. Since album art is, unfortunately making less and less of a impression, your bodies are the image. You may have to bring out a image that is shocking to stand out in today's world. And from many of the images I've seen, sex is the name of the game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i think band image is very important. if you want to go commercial and want to be heard by the crowd you also have to invest in marketing and promo tools and your own presentation.  a professional looking website for example. professional pictures. its the first thing people will see on the internet.

• Like 1

Don't worry about image at this point. It means nothing on the local scene. If someone hires you at that stage it will be because they like your music. If you reach a point where you want to branch out beyond your region (and your income allows for it) you may need to hire someone with connections, namely a manager. Not only would a competent manager have connections, they would handle the band's image.

In other words, worrying about your image now will get in the way of your music, which is what will get you those local and regional gigs. By the time you're ready to go multi-regional or even national you'll likely have someone to help with your image.

• Like 1

your bodies are the image.

well I know mine is.

The same is true of these young guys.

Here is a band from my local Portsmouth, that tours internationally 12 months out of the year. Their image is absolutely unparalleled.  

well I know mine is.

The same is true of these young guys.

Here is a band from my local Portsmouth, that tours internationally 12 months out of the year. Their image is absolutely unparalleled.  

hehehe  not bad at all. we have a some kind of orchestra here in the netherlands who is touring also a lot. Andre Rieu with a classic Orchestra. They have done a lot on their image, and they have a different opproach on "boring"  classical music. wich also draw the attention from people who normally dont listen to classical music. it is a great concept they are using. especially for commercial purpose.   

• 1 month later...

I'm not an expert either, but I've been thinking about this for a long time. I might be right or wrong or you may agree or not but this is what I think.

Music industry, nowadays, is about products, the whole thing. It's about the notes you play, rythm, about lyrics, but also about attitude, what you say in every aspect. If you have something new to offer, you're going to be listened. And of course you do, never doubt about that, I think everyone just have to find it but there it is, in the inner part of you. It's your point of view, your perspective about life, which is unique, but somehow everyone can empathise with it in different ways. Because that's what music is, the most direct channel to express, isn't it? Then someone may like it, someone may not and that's perfect. It's perfect if you were true to yourself while you were doing it, if you really mean it.

So what I think it's that personality matters, not only "image", because a hollow image says nothing. What I mean is that you have the originality inside, just think about what makes you different, what do you want to say, how to do it and the image will come by itself. Never try to imitate others, that's already invented, stay true and make just what makes you happy :D Anyway, it's good to take care of the image in the point that you have to make it as clean as possible. I work as a designer and I can tell that love at first sight, in this matter, is important, specially at the beggining. That's what people see first, before listening to you, so if you have something that attracts them, they're going to stay and give you a chance. It's only a matter of predispotition.

However, I'd love to have a look at your musical personality!

Edited by Diana June
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Band image is extremely important to a bands success, especially with things like social media around.  Often times a photo or video of you or your band is the first thing a potential fan sees.  If they see something that looks unprofessional then they are going to assume your ARE unprofessional and won't likely care to learn more about you.