Your Ad Could Be Here

Chat Chat Chat Chat Chat

Wow it stopped. Was just getting good. Surprised no one got naked sure that's where it was heading!

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry Tom, got distracted.

They were bouncing and jiggling and to my surprise...

Today I have a vocal to record for an Israel based EDM act. Short but fun for a break!

What's an EDM act?

is it just me being me YES , this chat chat etc was set up for what exactly , I have counted only one 1  noob in all the posts here is this missing the target audience , question how do we   us   the  songstuff  oldies ( this is not me but everybody else)  get the noob's to join in?

scotsman89/john

What's an EDM act?

Electronic Dance Music

Meanwhile I just signed up for a new collab website of which I'm starting to become suspicious.  They say they are in beta form and seeking testers.

They also say they are a student project but the web design looks too slick.  Considering the name of the place is *spamming website*.  I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some type of larger agency.  They ask a lot of suspicious questions on sign up.  Like your twitter account fb, soundcloud, and a lot of stuff not pertanient to what a collaboration project should be like.

Ah yes the site that so nicely spammed our forums looking to poach members earlier today saying it wasn't advertising because it was a free site when their tos refers to paypal payments, that it says it is by invitation only yet anyone can join. I don't trust sites that stoop to dodgy promo tactics or contradict themselves in much they say. The basic membership may be free, just now, but it looks suspiciously like they don't intend staying that way, and that they do intend charging for their services.

I say poach our members because they say they have a "professional forum". We put a lot of time and effort into promoting Songstuff to attract new members because members are the lifeblood of a community. For some reason they think we built our community to be a free advertising resource for their community and that posting to encourage members here to join and spend their time there is neither an Advertisement, nor a means to undermine this community while feeding their own community. Call me daft but after all the time I have invested here, the friends I have made, and the plans we have for further development, I prefer this community. Yeah, yeah, I'm biased, I know.

The member in question made two posts, mentioning how he was looking forward to taking part here when his posts were completely a sales pitch for his community. His honesty and straight up nature shone through.

Interesting they are a student project that is in fact an LLC.

Check out their tos & privacy statement.

Interesting Songstuff promotes in legitimate ways, we have given fair warning of about two years that we intended offering some paid services to augment all the free stuff at some point in the near future in order to fund the site after 13 years of giving it all away for free. While our sites may appear on the surface to be similar we are poles apart.

To say something isn't an Ad because they have a free site is just plain ridiculous.

Oh it isn't the first time someone from the site did this, so they know our position on such promotional posting. Their name is due to be added to our blacklist because of it, so expect to see their site name replaced by the filters after the fact.

is it just me being me YES , this chat chat etc was set up for what exactly , I have counted only one 1  noob in all the posts here is this missing the target audience , question how do we   us   the  songstuff  oldies ( this is not me but everybody else)  get the noob's to join in?

scotsman89/john

Well, it wasn't so much intended as a new member posting place, rather a new member reading place, so they can get a flavour of who is who and what they are about. :) noobs can of course join in if they so wish, we don't bite :) one or two may nibble.

Are you saying everyone on Songstuff is old, except you? Or are you saying the solution is up to everyone but you? Or something else entirely :)

He better be careful, you never know what may be in a solution these days...

didn't mean it to read as noobs posting just that there does seem to be a lot of noobs reading or reacting

scotsman

It wasn't from here I found out about the site.  It's funny all the disclaimers and the half truths I found along the way. I still signed up with a false identity.  The punishment is.... I'm banned if they somehow find out I'm not who I say I am.  Which is fine by me.

I love how one can't really read the full terms until one is signed up.  Apparently they have all rights to the content displayed on their site for as long as it's on thier site.  Which means if you contribute your material it automatically becomes their material both in publishing and copyright.  So long as it's on thier site.  Ergo if you leave or want to pull your content... well you can't.  It's there as long as they host it or it's been linked to.  Getty strikes again.

I'm sure I've told this story before.  SXC.HU used to be a stock image exchange where.  Graphic artists and photographers could showcase and sell thier material.  The company I work for farmed out much of our early template work to a third party which bought images from sxc.hu members.  All 100% legal.  The template/design company went out of business and we had have records of the reciepts showing that they paid for the image...... Here's where it gets funky.  SXC was aquired by Getty.  Getty changed the policy stating that all the images on sxc now belonged to Getty.  Graphic Designers who used the site were furious.  Unfortunately SXC made it near impossible to sue them.  all your base are now belong to us.  So the artists all feel ripped off and pull up stakes and lose all their works.

Getty then went on a suing spree.  They tried to sue the design hose that supplied us with our templates and..lost.  However the Design House's reputation was buried in the process and between the legal costs as well as other matters they went bankrupt.  Getty tried to sue us and lost. Our victory barely covered our court costs.  Now Getty is going after our customer base and winning because it's cheaper for the customer to simply pay the money then to go to court.

So as I see "FindMySong" They are simply looking for material that they can grab all rights to. Then if the "song" that someone provided as a collab shows up anywhere on the market they'll pull the same thing that Getty did. Sue the artist for using the material without rights (because the artist signs away rights when they post) Sue anyone who posts the song online or performs the song or record label/publisher who might use the song later.

I am past the point where I think any of the music I produce will make me money.  All the page hits and downloads won't make a dent in my bottom line.  I'm not past the point where I don't like sharing what I've done.  And I'm not past the point where I'm ready to surrender usage of my own material. If I want to play a song I wrote then dammit no one should be able to stop me (I've got a number of stories, thankfully not mine where the exact same thing has happend but I digress)

A few weeks ago I started doing collaborations online. Someone put up the project files and I did some overdubs.  (Something even ten years ago I'd demand money for upfront)  It was an enjoyable experience.  I then started to produce songs for collaboration.  I'd  write, record, mix and then release my project files so that others could "jam in"   That was fun a lot of work but fun.  However I noticed somethings.... Musicians and remix guys where then taking my material and showcasing it as thier own without recognizing my efforts.  As I stated earlier I'm not in it for the moeny.  I'm happy for anyone else in the world who wishes to make a living writing music.  I do like to be recognized for my work.  So I initiated a Share and Share alike policy regarding the music I release for collaborations.  http://www.tappermike.com/?q=node/38  Here are the details.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en_US

Well I noticed a drop off of Jammers when I initiated the CC license.  Which...is fine.  Maybe they didn't feel inspired, maybe they don't like acknoledging or sharing. People are more then welcome to leave the game if they can't follow the rules. of the game.

Here is where things get interesting.  I'm thinking of forming my own collab portal.  NOT LIKE FindMySong  but a place specifically for "jammers" A jammers collab forum.  Something that casts a wider net then... the acousitca forums.  Where, musicians, singers and engineers can share and share alike.  I've got a lot of kinks to work out. but FindMySong gave me some ideas to work from and some area's I want to do the exact opposite of.

Ah, a similar practice was used in the early days of the public internet. Although you actually had to spend a little money before you could wait to hopefully make some. Man, I really wish I knew more about what was going on back then. All you had to do was buy as many domain names as you could afford and you became rich... simply by purchasing domain names and then selling them to the "behind the times" companies. Geesh, the entire world thought those guys were geniuses... not really... we were all just clueless.

I'm pretty sure one of those spammers just "fanned" me on Reverbnation and then sent a message about linking with their site. 95% sure.

thinking there may be a way of us posting good and bad about site . so new comers can see who we are, maybe in the way they are asked who they are what they do . play? in a band ?  etc

good- the help you get from us . with lyric format IE flow rhyme needs bridge etc.

and a lot of people here know a boat load of stuff about recording , sound , what works and what does not. 

maybe a bit from the likes of me came here thinking I knew what a lyric should be but really had no idea . then had a lot of help improving (I hope ) my lyrics

. that may  get people to except critique,

bad- the amount of people who come here and post hey listen to me . like this , do you want something. and never reappear .

just a thought

Re site finding / listing.

Honestly if you want to do something like this for yourself.  Post a blog and updated it.  That way if someone asks you can refer them to your blog post.

Long before Google+ there used to be this online chat service for people who couldn't or wouldn't use a search engine.  Log into the service and people would be there to help you find what you were looking for.  The workers suffered all kinds of abuse from people making fun.  I happen to know of a few of the perpetrators as they would post thier abusive behaviour from the chat discussions online.  Google+ has all the potential for this type of abuse.  I don't use google plus.  I have seen how some people use reporting (false) abuse can affect an earnest person who becomes a target of stalking. 

Re recording.  See http://youtube.com

As well consult your help files and or the companies website for tutorials first.

As well,,,,there's always Youtube  and here's why.

Every daw has it's own feature set.  For me to explain how to achieve X in mixcraft that information is useless to someone who doesn't have mixcraft but a different product.  It's a lot faster more accurate if someone actually just searches for a video on then tries to post something here using a daw that no one else is familar with. 

• 2 weeks later...

hungry? Lol

We should also have an unusual photo thread. you know recognisable subjects at unusual angles etc. (no body parts!)

any exciting plans today?

I need to record a vocal at some point. I had planned to do it yesterday but the day got away from me.

You know what's really fun, is a "talk with pictures" thread, basically the goal is you look on the internet for pictures that "say" what you are trying to say and it just gets freaking hilarious.   Like this.  

sat-lets-party-webentry.gif

sloth-no.gif

Etc etc.  

If pictures of food start showing up, I'm outa here. What is it with facebook and the incessant need people have to photogragh their lunch? Give me strength!

Maybe it's a pagan ritual.  Like "If I don't share this food with the facebook gods, they will change my status to in a relationship!!!!"  

Seriously though I have no idea, I understand if it's something really fancy and unusual at some super nice restaurant but I don't need to see the omelette you had for breakfast lol

As far as this business about the site that steals your songs "legally"  That's just terrifying!!!  Laws are screwy these days imo.  And we were trying to get noobs to post in here?  There's always luring them with chocolate.... Ooooor..... THREATENING.  

We can get JustSoulin to follow the noobs around with a baseball bat that has the name "Bill" written on it, pound it into his palm and say "So... haven't seen you posting much in the chat thread today...  It doesn't really matter to me, but Bill over here isn't too happy about it..."  *Pound* *Pound*  *Pound*

Being fair, this is not an exclusive in treating the staff. It happens all the time on the critique boards, for example. It is annoying, especially if you put in a lot of effort to help and they don't bother to reply

Archived