• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
john

Chat Chat Chat Chat Chat

Rudi    570
16 hours ago, TapperMike said:

So I finally got a raise at work.  Nothing earth shattering but at least I can pay most of my bills.  (still really need to fix the minivan)

Great news. :)

Just1L    902
On July 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Now that I've got that out of the way,  how about songs you've written with a comical spin on them?

I've got this one. In college there was a house that had a dog whose name was DeeOhGee. Didn't realize for a while that it was merely D.O.G.

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Just1L said:

I've got this one. In college there was a house that had a dog whose name was DeeOhGee. Didn't realize for a while that it was merely D.O.G.

Hey, Just1L, the tune on this is really fun and I catch some of the lyrics, but some places whoo! you sing pretty fast and I can't catch the lyrics.  I like a good laugh, so if you're comfortable with it, could you post the lyrics to it?

• Like 1

Just1L    902
12 minutes ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Hey, Just1L, the tune on this is really fun and I catch some of the lyrics, but some places whoo! you sing pretty fast and I can't catch the lyrics.  I like a good laugh, so if you're comfortable with it, could you post the lyrics to it?

Thanks - Sure thing. Randy

D.O.G.
Randy Drilingas - Just1L - ©2013

So I guess I should say off with your head.
But no. I think I'll just forgive you instead.
I just wish you could admit you've done wrong.
But no. You just sit there with your head in the ground.

One of these days.
D.O.G.
I always say
One of these days.

When you see me coming down the walk you run and hide.
Can't help but notice and I wonder what is up inside.
Then I see a scene, a scene that I'd seen before.
Another fresh set of scratches on the back door.

Then I go into the bedroom it's a total mess.
I can't deny that what I'm seeing is a protest.
I'm so tired, I really want to go to bed.
But no, I'm cleaning crap instead.

But no. You just sit there with your head in the ground.

But no. You just sit there with your tail wagging proud ('round?).

One of these days.
D.O.G.
I always say
One of these days.

When I wake up I get shaken up at what I find.
Trail of laundry laying on the floor and thrown aside.
Chew toy dripping wet with dog slobber.
Sitting on the remote for my DVR.

Then I go into the kitchen and I find you there.
your looking at me with a paw inside the Frigidaire.
I caught you red-pawed and all dismayed.
I really want to know just what do you have to say?

• Like 2

Ha!  This did make me laugh and I can so picture it because I had a dog who misbehaved if we were away from the house for too long.  We always knew when he had done something he knew he shouldn't have because he would not greet us at the door and we would find him in his dog crate in the bedroom.  He would not make eye contact or if he did, his eyes would flutter like he couldn't quite look at us and was usually a brief look before he'd drop his head and look behind him.  He would either get into the garbage or mess on the floor--rebellion for our absence!  One time he smashed a crock pot of spaghetti sauce and meatballs on the floor and ate the sauce.  It freaked me out because I couldn't tell if he had cut himself on the shards of pottery or if the red was just sauce.  He also ate a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies cooling on the counter one time.  Chocolate is bad for dogs, but when I called the vet to find out what to do, he said a dog the size of mine would have to eat a lot of chocolate for it to bother him.  Other than that he was the best dog--well besides following me around so closely I'd practically trip over him.  This made me smile--it made me remember him.

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,904

I never recorded it, and I can only remember it up through the first chorus.  But one of my very first songs was Skank Woman.  It was a blues rocker that I banged out on my acoustic.  I was like 17 when I wrote it.  I actually ended up playing it one summer night at some dive bar me and a few of my friends stopped at during a road trip when I was 18 - I had my acoustic in the car.  No women were in the tavern. ;) But, the sleepy drunks there and the bartender loved it and we all laughed our asses off.  

Skank Woman

sittin' in a bar on a saturday night

just mindin' myself and feelin' alright

when this drop-dead ugly skank walked through the door

I started gettin' ideas

so I drank some more

but the more I drank, ya know the less I cared

so what, she's a skank, hell I ain't scared

if my friends find out

besides, who's gonna tell

she may be skanky as shit, but lord I'm horny as hell

in and out

up and down

we rocked that motel room around

she really put out, and I really gave

I would have kissed her, but she needed a shave

skank woman

sleazy swine

skank woman

I'm glad she was mine

skank woman

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 1

Pretty skanky stuff @HoboSage! I can picture a bunch of guys at a bar laughing at this one--and maybe identifying with the possibility of it happening to aaaa....friend.

Rudi    570

A pal of mine used this sort of definition of Skank in the 90s. Other than that I just thought it was a dance style. This this the fisrt time Ive seen it similarly used since.

HoboSage    1,904

I assure you, I haven't used the term much since, Rudi.  But, I confess that I do think it to myself with respect to certain females personalities on Fox News. :) 

• Like 1

TapperMike    370

I'm seriously thinking of hosting a jazz tabs site.  It drives me nuts the routines I have to go through for decent transcriptions.  I'm not a good transcriber.  I'm often most angry when I have to actually write scores out because I've traveled the long way round.  First I'll surf for transcriptions endlessly.  Then if the transcription is for crap sometimes I'll through the baby out with the bath water and finally I'll get down to brass tacks to arrange a score for chord melody playing.  

On those few occasions where I do find a decent arrangement I cherish it.  It's getting harder and harder to find them though.

• Like 1

starise    366

You could probably print the tabs from your midi guitar sent to something like Forte. Just a thought. 

TapperMike    370

True.  I've done a little of that so far using guitar pro.  It's still work a lot of work.

Everything is turning into work or distraction or both.

As an example.  I've been trying to walk away from Band In a Box.  Band in a Box is great fun.  The yahoo users group has the largest collection of jazz standards on the planet.  I know I have them all.   When one studies using BIAB or any other software the focus is on reading... Not performing.  If you aren't going to be performing with the software then it's important to practice without the software.  I'll get so addicted to just playing along I'll lose sight of the indended goal.

BIAB does allow for midi conversion.  This is nice if you need to do arrangement.  As I do.  However trying to port the melody into a guitar track on something like Guitar Pro is a pain at best as it does a poor job of laying out where to position the notes.  You also need to go back and lay in the basic chord names per beat because this is will be a chord melody arrangement.  Then try to add the harmony to the melody in a meaningful way.  Often I'll find myself guitar in lap trying various approaches while having to manually punch it in on the computer keyboard.  It takes forever to get an arrangement that isn't too crowded yet... "Hip"

Band in a Box does have a feature when one pulls up the fretboard called "CH SOL"  Chord Solo.  Where by it will analyze the key, chord movement and try to recreate a chord/melody based on playing styles of famous chord melody players such as Joe Pass, Johnny Smith(my favorite) and a few others.   While it does serve as a good "Foot in the Door"  I've tried it with various standards that the artist played and compared the output of biab.  It's a joke.  But it's also a good foot in the door to understanding various approaches.  

By the time I've nearly got the arrangement down to something I can perform.... I have this overwhelming desire to earn my name.  I'm a tapper.

Sure, I started out like all the young guns on EVH style tapping like a cat chasing it's own tail.  But my style since then has completely evolved into something quite different.  Combining finger picking and tapping.  Usually this means I'll try to get the arrangement down twice.  Once with conventional technique and then again with tapping.  The entire process is too time consuming.  Which leads me back to looking for decent transcriptions of standards where someone else has already done the hard work of arranging the piece so I can concentrate on playing.