Your Ad Could Be Here

New Copyright article

• 2 weeks later...

Quote a fascist al-Qaeda reunion with the paedophile wing of the Klu Klux Klan.

I think I attended a few of these parties in my yoof! :D

This has been a facsinating glimpse into the unknown for me! I eagerly await part IV :)

From the article:

In my experience, it’s a lot more straightforward dealing with other entities like publishers if you are another company rather than another solitary individual. You are able to cut a better deal all round.
This says a lot. If you're an artist and set up your own company (as I have done) it is easier to hold on to the rights.

There's two parts to this, though: the record companies/publishers write contracts to screw artists, that's true - but the artists sign them too. If artists would be more vigilant this wouldn't be a problem. Hire a lawyer and read all contracts 20 times - and never, ever waive your rights. Never. Ever.

From the article: This says a lot. If you're an artist and set up your own company (as I have done) it is easier to hold on to the rights.

There's two parts to this, though: the record companies/publishers write contracts to screw artists, that's true - but the artists sign them too. If artists would be more vigilant this wouldn't be a problem. Hire a lawyer and read all contracts 20 times - and never, ever waive your rights. Never. Ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess some artistes are more desperate than others!

Quote  a fascist al-Qaeda reunion with the paedophile wing of the Klu Klux Klan.

I think I attended a few of these parties in my yoof! :D

I knew there was something familiar about you.

(Can I have my lubricant back now, please?)

never, ever waive your rights. Never. Ever.

Good advice - tough to achieve.

I guess some artistes are more desperate than others!

Especially when they offer you money.

Seriously - most people just give it up - "well, everyone else does".

Glad you like the article, guys. Thanks for your comments. I was beginning to think I was being ignored to death again. (And I hate that - 'though I should be used to it by now.) This series has been getting to be a bit of a laugh to write, you know, trying to make some basically very dry legal shit kinda fun, easy to understand and entertaining to read.

And it's important, too.

Glad you like the article, guys. Thanks for your comments. I was beginning to think I was being ignored to death again. (And I hate that - 'though I should be used to it by now.) This series has been getting to be a bit of a laugh to write, you know, trying to make some basically very dry legal shit kinda fun, easy to understand and entertaining to read.

And it's important, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's great that you have taken time to write these, Lazz - they do explain the legal mumbojumbo quite well.

Are you a lawyer in your spare time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whenever I get any spare time, I go to sleep.

And I do kind of "like" the law.

When I finally took myself back to school as what was laughingly called a "mature" student there was a huge amount of crap I didn't know so I set about filling holes by stuffing my Part I studies with Law and Economic & Social History and Statistics (!). There's still a huge amount of crap I don't know but I dig finding out. Plus I found myself having to negotiate and haggle over a few contracts with music companies. Some you win, some you lose. Everytime, you learn. And I can read as well as the next guy. (Spell too.) Sometimes better. So I'm able to save a little scarce cash that might otherwise have to go on legal fees.

Seems a tad ignominious to start one's own fan club.

Wanna job?

Edited by Lazz

Hardly a hobby.

More essential survival.

Get strung out and don't fret the small stuff.

Your posts (and articles) are always thoughtful and informative

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet.

Thanks a bundle.

Looks like an interview with my corrupt self is impending.

Stevie the P is hurling questions across the ether at me right now.

That'll teach you.

• 11 years later...

I get 404 Oops! page can not be found.

The article still exists but thus is a very old topic... 2005!

The 3 parts are listed on this page:

http://www.songstuff.com/music-business/article/