Your Ad Could Be Here

Next Big Thing In Online Music Collaboration

I know how hard it is to collaborate with people who've never met you personally and are trying to make music with you online. The pain of recording single tracks one by one, sending it to others, asking if they like, resending, rechecking, getting individual tracks by others (Its even painful to write the damn steps included).

That's where these guys came up with an acceptable solution, which i must say is pretty damn good. They made a DAW that stores whatever people record on it in the cloud. So whoever is in the project can record anytime, make any changes, mix, master and do everything else like a normal DAW using cloud technology. 

So if you are collaborating with people across the world or even somebody who is near you, checkout Ohm Studio.

They have a FREE PLAN that supports upto 10 projects, not bad eh?

I decided to share this because i've seen a lot of people on Songstuff that are willing to collaborate online and thought this might be of help.

I haven't personally used it a lot, so if any of you do, let me know how it goes!

Hey no problem man, dont worry about it. Guess i should've made my identity clear in the message first. 

Hey David

Ravi mentioned to me he was going to contact some members about using their photographs in some graphics to become the top of page banners on our site portals on social media and in the graphics promoting those portals? for example our YouTube channel.

Ravi normally works behind the scenes making graphics, designing new features and developing new stuff. We don't let him out often!

He also happens to be a very good friend of Mahesh. :)

I should point out to our members, that not only can they use our collab board to find people to collaborate with, but they can also create their very own collab based member group specifically to talk to their collaborators :) Coupled with free file transfer platforms like Dropbox or Google drive it can cover many of your collaboration needs.

Just saying.

:)

Cheers

john

Hey thought I would jump in. He also contacted me for pics. Are these for our profile? Or what. And I take it we can't use them naked. Pics lmao.joking!

Rock on

Oh I just hit the link brought.me to the site.john not sure. But it started a download with out permission. I stopped mine before it finished.it should mention that.as we all respect the site and it's efforts to bring us new stuff. But if a diwnload is automatic it should be mentioned. After last few days all Leary of such things.

Rock on

Haha . Like john said, they will be used for a collage representing the Songstuff community on the Banners/Graphics that will be used on Songstuff and other Social Media like G+, Fb , Youtube etc.

Oh wait, ill change the download thing, didnt notice it before.! Thanks for mentioning.

Like Ravi says:

Free

Make music with a powerful tool free of charge.

Free

Up to 10 projects

Costs come with the pro and proxl versions and more than 10 projects :)

Oh I just hit the link brought.me to the site.john not sure. But it started a download with out permission. I stopped mine before it finished.it should mention that.as we all respect the site and it's efforts to bring us new stuff. But if a diwnload is automatic it should be mentioned. After last few days all Leary of such things.

Rock on

Weird, it didn't start an auto download with me Tom. Strange.

Scratch that, I just saw Ravi updated the link

It looks like an interesting concept.  Kind of makes me regret my mixcraft purchase now.

The thing I don't like about it so far.  "All your base are now belong to us"

Apparently you can't store your own work locally or work offline.  Everything must be via the Ohm network.  Alledgedly they will be releasing a 2.0 for personal storage.

Well spotted Mike.

There is no such thing as a free meal eh? Well except for the all "you can eat" breakfast that been available to Songstuff visitors for 13 years!

:)

Sorry, I just had to sing our site's praises for once. I am hoping if I do, maybe other members will be inspired to spread the love for Songstuff to their friends and fellow musicians. Cough cough hint hint cough. :)

Actually. I've had a good run with mixcraft.  However the mixcraft jammers are a limited lot.  Two other guys and me.  It's a bit of a production just to get a song up and running for them to jam over.  And since all three of us are guitarists... It gets old quick.

The concept of a collab/jam is a very exciting proposition to me.  There are many pitfalls of attempting to run any true online collaboration.  The first being daw of choice.  Sure one could simply pull the stems into any current daw but they won't go in gracefully.  The second has to do with how well the score is done.  I don't have the greatest ear in the world and I hate having to transcribe a piece before I can jam to it.  So I always go the extra mile and chart out anything I offer to anyone else.  While it's appreciated it's rarely recipricated.  Then there is this whole skillset / musical maturity thing. IRL when ever I've done a collab I could lock down players into an arrangement.  Or they could find thier spot.

Many thanks :) much appreciated

Just in case you think it, I wasn't directing that comment at you specifically, more a general encouragement lol

So far... I am not liking Ohm.

It crashed my computer three times and was unable to recognize my sound card via asio.  Which is funny to me because every daw I've ever owned has had no issues with my sound card or asio4All.  Two of the three times it crashed were simply downloading / running an open project offering.

I finally did get the program working with my sound card by using Windows media drivers.  I downloaded a different open project and....

The effects plugins they used were not on my system.  Ohm studio froze those tracks so I wasn't able to rewrite or send them to my own plugins.  The tracks were serverly garbled.  I boosted the latency and bit rate as much as I could and I still got pops and crackles. The piece was pitch shifted because I still couldn't achieve the bit rate used on the original recording with my set up.

I was about to submit a call to the support system when I noticed the online chat system they had.  I watched as other users expressed similar issues.  The bully brigade was in full force.  Rather then trying to find out the source of the problems they pretty much kicked the newer users out.

I tried to do some basic editing of the project files, but even the simplest of common features to all other daws were no where to be found.  Simple things such as selecting a region of a clip / audio track by click, drag.

As I've already used up two of my ten free projects without much success.  I'm reluctant to open another project or start my own.

Project info, which is common in most daw's is non existant in this one or I simply haven't found it.  I've tried to find out if the program has such a feature.  It would be nice to have something aside from tempo to go on when opening a project .... Like Key at leaset. Also it would be nice if there were some information about the author in the project info sheet.  However there is none as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

So the first review doesnt sound all that good!! Too bad, it looked very promising!

• Like 1