Your Ad Could Be Here

How To Topline A Backing Track

• Noob

I have recently been given backing tracks and would be grateful for any information any one could provide me on how to topline a backing track? 

Is there a secret formula, rules to follow or do you just go with the flow and see where your heart and soul takes you ?

Many thanks

Lilianna x

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm dense.  What do you mean by topline?

• 3 months later...

I have recently been given backing tracks and would be grateful for any information any one could provide me on how to topline a backing track? 

Is there a secret formula, rules to follow or do you just go with the flow and see where your heart and soul takes you ?

Many thanks

Lilianna x

Hi Lilianna, 
you're asking a one million dollars question ...
well, you're from UK, right? I had some collaborators there.

Ok, as for the direct answer for your request, I could propose a method of one of the greatest songwriters ever, Robin Gibb (Bee Gees)
and that's exactly that method:
prepare 1 mic and 2 units (or 2 software) - one for playback and another for recording...
then find a "repeat" knob on the playback unit and press it, 
then switch on your recording gear(software) 
then switch on your playback gear/software with that beat you willing to make a top line to

Now begin to sing what you have on your mind while the beat is playing, the melody that appears will be recorded,
don't neither think nor analyze what you're doing, just sing over and over! Many times, different melodies will be recorded good or bad, no matter!
then you may check out what you recorded, and this is a time for analyze, edit, improvement etc. 

Hope this helps

PS. I do have the beats too  :drums: