Your Ad Could Be Here

Who Am I?

Who am I? A haunting question that plagues me.

I am an aspiring musician that has been playing piano since I was 6 years old and guitar since I was 12. I am now 55 years old. Oddly, I am not as proficient as the first sentence would imply.

I have tried a number of different instruments over the years. Including, bass, harmonica, saxophone, mandolin, penny whistle and even the bagpipes (not going down that road again). A friend once said to me, "Roger, you would be good if you would just stick to one instrument.". Even though there is some hardcore truth in that statement, I never want to limit my ambitions to one discovery. I enjoy being versatile, even at the cost of not being 'any good' at anything.

I played guitar for several of my teen years when Ted Nugent and ZZ Topp were on my main playlist. I showed some friends what I had learned on guitar. Before I knew it, they were getting better than me (I was more of a poser than practitioner). So, I switched to keyboards for about 10 years. I played in some local bands and had a lot of fun doing small gigs around town (Dallas). I eventually formed a band called Countyline and teamed up with country recording artist, Jeff Smithart. We made a go for about 4 years. Then, I had a notion to drop out of music and focus on my new son and family activities. This was around 1992.

Around 1996, I got all excited about the guitar again. I bought a Strat and toyed around a little. But then, I got the notion of trying to find the ultimate sound for my playing skills. This lead me on a 15 year journey of buying guitars and amplifiers trying to find the ultimate sound. I don't think we are ever satisfied with the way we sound. But I finally decided that the music was much more important than the gear.

Around 1999, I joined a Praise & Worship band at my small church. I played with them until 2009. Around 2008, I formed a band called the Buffalo Blues Band. My friends insisted that I sing and front the band (which I had never done before). We had a lot of fun and that lasted for about 5 years. Eventually, my saxophone player retired and moved down towards Austin. I changed drummers. Shortly after that, my guitarist left ad rejoined a previous band.

I grew tired of begging for crappy paying gigs. So, I went back to what I had been doing since the mid-80s, songwriting. I have written over 75 songs. Many are not good at all. Some have potential, but were poorly recorded on multi-track cassette decks.

I now have a digital 24 track TASCAM. My studio is WAY too crowded. But I enjoy experimenting with songs, lyrics and textures.

If you see me post any songs, please give it a listen. This is a journey that I am passionate about. I strive to express the art within, yet make the music appealing to the masses - I have a long way to go on the second part.

It is not easy to write a lifetime profile in a few paragraphs . . . But at least I still remember some of it.

Edited by reverbbb

Hey Roger, glad you've allowed us to join your journey :)

Welcome to SS

• Like 1

Hi

Welcome to Songstuff  :)

Great to have you here  :)

Jan