Your Ad Could Be Here

Zoom H2N Mic/recorder.. I Need Help With Settings!

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to technology, but would really like to begin experimenting more with recording separate tracks for some of my songs, and using Audacity to put everything together.  I have a Zoom H2n 'handy recorder' - I am lost as far as how to adjust the settings to get the best quality audio I can...

Can anyone help me and give me a little bit of advice on how to get good recordings this way?  It would mainly be vocals, acoustic guitar, maybe some piano or violin - but all recorded separately.

It'd be great if someone had some specific advice as to the exact settings to try first… I know some adjustment will be necessary but I need a starting place!  I don't even know what all the settings do and can't find the manual!

I'm feeling so lost with all of this!  But I'm guessing that the best way to record is to first get the separate tracks down (recorded in a room like a walk-in closet where there is no noise interference?) and then you can combine them in Audacity and add effects like reverb, right?

I need a 'recording for dummies' book!  Or a personal recording mentor;)

• Noob

The H2 is a stand alone recorder isn't it? Do you mean the H4N?.

If you mean the H2 I believe each track you record can only be recorded internally. Or maybe to a daw through headphone out.

If internally you'll need to have a click or something to start each performance with so that yo can line them up in audacity after.

If you mean the H4n that's a different story as you can use it as an interface to a daw.

• Like 2

Thank you for your response!

The H2n can be used as a stand alone recorder but can also be connected via USB to a computer so I can record directly to audacity.  The quality recording via USB though is really bad - there must be something I'm doing wrong!  But when I record to the memory card in the zoom, the quality seems really good.  I think I've got some good settings to start with as well - I've been experimenting a bit :)

So I think I'll just keep experimenting with recording to the memory card, and then importing to Audacity…  this is such a learning experience for me! I also found a good audacity tutorial that is helping a great deal..  so we'll see what happens from here!!

The quality is bad?

Are you too close to your computer?

Are the levels set correctly?

Is your computer loud?

Is it about latency (time delay between recording and hearing the recording)

I've got much older 16/44.1 recorders that sound great.  Much of what it sounds like could be the environment (room) and treatment.

TapperMike - could be any of those things!  I have no idea… the sound is garbled a little bit and sounds sort of far-off?  But I'm happy for now simply recording to the memory card and then importing…  I'm sure part of it is the environment because it's a desktop located in an open, busy area of the house.  When i record directly to the memory card, I record in a walk-in closet with no noise...

That was an incredibly helpful post, David - thank you!  I've been using the XY setting but am going to try the MS setting with the two side mics set to zero input and see how that sounds. 

I think that with a little work I might be able to just record directly to audacity, which would be nice, as long as I can limit the amount of background noise.

One problem I'm having is that when I set the frequency to 48 kHz, as you suggested (this is with settings adjusted both in audacity and on the zoom), when the recording is played back, it is lower in frequency than when I recorded and it skips…  any tips on this one?

ETA:  when I set everything to 41 kHz it sounds just the same as when I recorded and does not skip - something about moving up to 48  is not working..

Edited by maggie729

• 1 month later...

Make sure you record with a metronome or you'll never be able to add drums to it.