Your Ad Could Be Here

James From Tampa Https://soundcloud.com/skyknight-1

• Noob

HI everyone my name is James. Singer and songwriter. Proficient enough on the guitar for song writing but not an aficionado.  I also play a little Piano. 

I started playing guitar around the age of 18 but never really progressed that much. I'm not really a gifted guitar player.

I've been singing since I was 3 as far as I can tell. I never really stopped.

I use whatever intstrument I can to help write. I use a program called EZ Keys which is a great song writing tool for getting together good chord progressions. I also write on guitar. It seems every time I start writing with piano a melody to a ballad comes out lol. My faster stuff is usually written on guitar.

I write my own lyrics. I try to make my lyrics approachable but sometimes I get caught up in too many metaphors. 

My lyrics are chosen for how well they present the melody and less about the subject matter. Although I do ensure the lyrics have a coherent theme.

When I get ideas I record them on a phone or directly to the computer. Sometimes a melody pops in my head without nothing spurring it or chord progressions. Sometimes I have a chord progression that just sits and sits until the right melody finds itself. 

Usually I write the chord progression first. Followed by writing the hook, then the verse.

It's not always like this but that is most common. Sometimes I can write 10 different melodies to a chord  progression and not like any of them. When I write multiple melodies but only one gets stuck in my head then I know that's "THE" one. to do. I might go back to the other melodies for ideas for bridges or turn arounds though.

I'd like to learn more about production.

I'm never satisfied with the quality of the vocal recordings. I use a cheap condenser mic or a Sennheiser E85 into a Dual Pre interface. Alas I don't have enough money for anything good.  Even a Rode NTK would be too much for me. But it would be nice to own.

Also I started using Fruity loops awhile back and am still getting the hang of it.

I'd like to find a pianist to play with to open up my progressions to something that is entertaining and dynamic not static background fills.

If you'd like to hear some things visit

https://soundcloud.com/skyknight-1

I hope to check out everyone soon!

Hey James,
you should use a pop up filter while recording your vocals to avoid those unpleasant "phe" sounds...
well, if you don't have a money for this, just use an usual kitchen strainer, placing it on the same place as a filter... it works!
Also you have a good voice range, but you need to improve your vocal skills, I have a little brochure with some simple vocal tips,
and could send it to you (if required, of course)
Cheers and good luck with your music endeavours

Hi

Welcome to Songstuff  :)

Hope you enjoy being on the forums   :)

Jan