Your Ad Could Be Here

How Does One Achieve Those Atmospheric, Cinematic Kind Of Sounds?

OK, not the best description, but its a sound I come across a lot and I'm sure it's one you've heard many times too.

The intro to New Order's 60 mph is a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8n-7eYExMs

This is synthier than some of the others but it would be pretty appropriate for what I'm trying to do.

I'd like to know (not completely of course) what's going on, but if there's a VST that has a easy, pre-set kind of sound I'll look at that too.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 months later...

Many synth patches have movements in them and the one you presented in this example is no exception. The inner movements can  be part of the synth itself and usually involve wave forms slowly moving at predetermined times or it could be the parameter values of one or more synths  affecting one another. This is sometimes done with control automation instead of a predetermined setting in the synth.

This could also be a combination of synths that are being controlled by a producer using control automation moves from a midi controller. Control automation is used in single synths as well. You can record control automation just the same as you record audio information. When you play it back you will hear those changes recorded just as you made them.

Lastly, you can get similar results using a third party effect as an addition to the synth and usually chained behind it...much like a guitarist uses effects pedals.

• 5 months later...
  • Noob

Lots of VSTs synths will have these types of sounds - they are typically called pads.  You might google subtractive synthesis to get a better handle on how these sounds are created from sine, square and sawtooth waves using cut-off filters and various envelops controlled by low frequency oscillators.  It is complex, but know which parameters of a synth to tweak to change a characteristic of the sound can help you sculpt the sound the way you want it.

• 3 months later...
  • Noob

Isotope Iris 2 (not many presets), Native Instruments Rise And Hit (more acoustic movie type sounds), Vir 2 Apollo Cinematic Guitars (way more versatile sounding than you would think based on the name), and Native Instruments Absynth.

Those would be "go to" types I would think either for digital or acoustic type pads you described.

Workhorse all around synths with incredible sound that do anything and are easy to use:  Massive, Synthmaster, Serum.

My favorite as of this writing is Native Instruments "Rounds". There are many others of course...

There are loads of these pads on most synths these days, and on many soft synths / VSTi.

I like Cakewalk Dimension Pro and Z3ta+. Z3ta is more suited to sequences and arpeggios, but great synths more than capable of very rich evolutionary pads

• Like 1

I love Z3Ta+  nice synth!

• Like 1