Your Ad Could Be Here

Moving To New York

I'm really serious about music and I intend to move to NY, hopefully next year. Thing is, Buffalo, NY is a lot closer than NYC. From what I've read, Buffalo is the second largest city in New York, with NYC obviously being the largest.

I want to pursue music in the big apple, but at the same time, I wonder if I'd do just as well in Buffalo. I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio. Born and raised, but I'm determined to leave this place and start new somewhere. I think Buffalo and Cincinnati are the same size. So should I move to New York City instead?

Edited by TylerOnTheGo

Let me also quite-candidly say this:  "i - n - t - e - r - n - e - t - !!"

I live quite close to another famous "music city" ... Nashville, Tennessee.  However, there seems to be no "New York, New York" song that has yet been written for "here," and maybe that's a very good thing.   Because, if there were, I would surely dismiss it as a "well, it rhymed!" lie.

Simple fact is ... it is "a lie."  If you move to New York City, you only increase the population of that city from "8.4 million people" to "8.4 million people plus one."  Good luck with that.

"So, you say you have a song to sell?"  Very well, then.  Sell it.  In doesn't matter in the slightest where it is that you call home.  Merely get your product in front of the faces of the people who actually possess the ability to buy it, and make your product better than everybody else's.  Once you manage that, you're home free.

Truth is, I really want to get out of Cincinnati, regardless. 'Thought NYC would be the place, but based off of what I've been reading, it doesn't sound so well. High expenses. Seems like a place for the rich. Really disappointing.

Here's my take.

Everyone who I know that has made it did so by leaving for the bigtime.  Even if they only made it after they returned.  The big evil label isn't going to surf bandcamp or soundcloud looking for the latest hot thing.  You have to be where they are. You have to know them on a face time not facebook basis. The only way to do that is to be where they are.  I'm fairly certain no one has ever made the big time by moving to Buffalo.  New York City, Los Angeles, Nashville, Austin,

If you aren't moving to where the action is then...what's the point?  You may as well entertain the concept of signing up with Taxi http://www.taxi.com/

• 1 month later...

As a midwesterner who has lived and worked as a musician in NYC, I can attest that you won't get the NYC music scene experience anywhere but NYC.  There's nothing like it on so many levels.  Buffalo is to NYC as MCDonald's is to Scottish cuisine.

That said, it's not for everyone, it's hard and fast-paced.  Musically, artfully, stylistically it's bleeding edge and thrives on youth.  If you decide to Move there, check out Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It's where all the music is happening.