Your Ad Could Be Here

The Bar Is Closed

As some of you may know. My tech support job is winding down. Due to both the state of the software industry and personal limitations (no I'm not going to move to india to work in software tech support) I've had to go back to cooking to support myself.  Constantly going over the same places with application / resume in hand I finally got a job @ Ultimate Sports Bar in Wixom.

I've been putting in long hours and long weeks there at a low wage.  Today was my day off.(It's not unusual for me to be called in on an off day) I get a call from the day manager about something minor. Explain the situation and then tell her after I cash my check I'd be in to do some things (because while I'm only a cook in title and pay I also have some managerial responsibilities)

Long story short.I show up to work and the place was on fire.  It started out as an electrical fire in a dry storage (paper goods) room.  Everyone got out safe. The fire burned through the roof didn't enter the kitchen.  It's all repairable but I don't think the owner is going to take the insurance money and rebuild.  I think he's just going to take the money and run.

Thanks.

Well for right now... I'm just going to enjoy the break from work sorta....

I still work between one and three hours a day at the software company Everyday that ends in "y" shy of a massive power outage.  At Ultimate Sports Bar most weeks were 6 days long with two to three of them being 14 hour days just for good measure. It definitely gave me back my "sea legs" for cooking. Funny what 10 years out of the biz can do to one.

• Editors

I'm sorry to hear that man :(

Like Dave said, probably this is a sign that is something else is waiting for you. Sending some positive energy your way.

Cheers :)

That sucks Mike. But, it could be the best thing that ever happened to you. Stay positive and do enjoy your free time. Spend it wisely.

Randy

Sorry to hear of this Mike. :( Hang in there.  The only hopeless is the hopeless we impose on ourselves.

Maybe a great opportunity to take a much needed break? 

Mike,

It could always be worse.

I have just had a massive personal setback and the last few weeks have been a struggle. We don't have any choice but to struggle sometimes.

Find the strength and keep going.

Good luck.

Trust me, I fully realize that I'm luckier then many.  Many of my co-workers were surviving on a wing and a prayer prior to the fire. I can't begin to understand how they are taking it.  While I don't have a golden parachute I do have some padding.from working two jobs and not spending as fast as I get it.

The positive's I'm taking away from the situation are...

One, I've got recent cooking experience. Honestly you wouldn't believe how hard it was finding work in the field after I'd been out that long. Cooking in that type of environment is very demanding and not only I but potential employers thought that I might not be up to the task.

Two. It helped me to prioritize my playing. Through my years cooking at one point or another I'd bring a guitar in and play for others or direct my free time to playing live.  Before getting back to work I really didn't use my free time as well as I could have. I'd also noticed it had been more then ten years since I performed in front of anyone.  The desire to perform led me to concentrating on learning new (to me) songs using chord-melody fingerstyle jazz playing. Something I've dabbled with in the past but never put my full energies into.

Since the fire I haven't wasted my free time. I'm both arranging and learning arrangements of jazz standards. It's a nice balance of challenging while not being too much so and I have something that I can use afterwards without having to use accompaniment software or recordings.

There are many pluses about leaving the sports bar.  While I did complain about the low wage. It forces me to go out and find a better paying job.  Had I stayed at Ultimate I would have just accepted the low wage as part of life as I know my employer wouldn't be bringing my hourly rate up.  There are many places that pay cooks better (In 02 I was making 18 an hour as a cook, in 05 I was making 12 as a cook at denny's. Ultimate was only paying me 9.50 and telling me to be grateful)

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the update.

I've been pounding the pavement looking for work and doing a few interviews.  Most don't look promising to pursue further.  

....However.

I did an interview today at a new as of yet unopened restaurant today that...I walked in confident secure and with a positive disposition. I walked out wanting the job with a second interview scheduled for next week.  The restaurants menu is upscale and a form of cooking I'm most familiar with.it's no tavern, diner, sports bar.  I walked in needing the job and walked out wanting the job. It's not three hots and a cot type work. Fine Dining cooking something that I've always believed in myself doing and taken great pride in and joy from.

In other news... my jazz box arrives tomorrow.

$_57.JPG

It's been a long time since I've had a serious full body archtop guitar.

Keep the good vibrations coming.  Who knows, I may win the powerball if this keeps up.

• Like 1

I expect to love her. She may not be your cup of tea though.

The big difference between this one and the jazz guitar you might be interested in is ...The neck.

Most jazz boxes have a fairly meaty neck like an acoustic guitar. Moderate (not to high not to low) action and medium high frets like an acoustic.

Mine has most of that but it has a "student" neck. It's not as slim as a jem, wizard or tapered SG neck (they have fat and thin varieties) but it's not as fat as the average jass box either.

I've already started a draft of the review.  It is scheduled to arrive today.  It's early in the morning here, I have no plans for the day and I'm trying not to play my other guitars as I don't want to be too played out by the time it arrives.

Update: the delivery has been delayed one more day.

On the plus side of things this free's up my time and energy for more guitar playing and other pursuits.

• Editors

Glad to see that everything is going well my friend :)

Will send some more of that positive energy your way.

Cheers,

Mahesh

• 1 month later...

I've yet to get a job,

On the other hand this is good news.

Just as a recap.  My pay at my internet job was slashed in half just prior to working for Ultimate.  I've been told time and time again prior to the last cut and afterwards that the end was near.  Nothing like the sensation of a boss constantly reminds you to go out and look for other work.

I was of the belief that Christmas would be the cut off of my internet job.  Which isn't enough to survive on but it does pay for some things.  Usually we get the bad news just before Christmas.  Today I find out that December is not the end and as long as the money is there to pay me I'll have work.

Best Christmas gift of the year.

Jan, Feb are the worst months of the year for restaurants.  Usually they are cutting down on staff's hours and one can pretty much forget about being hired during that time.