Your Ad Could Be Here

Are Strange Vocals More Likely To Be Successful Voices?

So, since I've been told I have a odd, tenor voice in a positive light, only one in a negative light, I want to know if there is a higher chance of vocalists with a odd kind of timbre being successful? Is it not or is it a coincidence that the list of vocalists below made it even with a voice that's not necessary the voice of a Angel? 

Geddy Lee (Must I have to say it...Rush)

Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy)

Tim Armstrong (Rancid)

Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)

Dexter Holland (Offspring)

Brian Johnson (AC/DC)

Greg Grffin (Bad Religion)

Serj Tankian (System Of A Down/Solo Artist)

Something tells me the A&R's look out for a different type of timbre. Let me know what you think.

Edited by DogmaticRock

• 1 year later...

I think the level of success you reach has more to do with how positive your thoughts are, which lead to positive beliefs, which lead to positive actions, which lead to positive results. 

That being said, I have been watching "The Voice" and they seem to favor those who have an original sound to their voice.  I would say having a unique voice is definitely a good thing for you and to always consider it a strength, nurture your unique sound.  I would also say not to get hung up on it, though, since there are a lot of additional factors involved in aspiring to work with a label :)

• Like 1

I think having a unique voice is a big plus, assuming it's "good" unique. :) It can also be a hinderance in certain circumstances and it all depends on what you want and how you go about achieving it. For example: let's say you have a lot of songs you've written/produced and you send them off. A label is stricken by the uniqueness of your vocals but doesn't care whatsoever about your actual songs. They may give you a call with the intentions of you scrapping all your material for other material they have lying in wait. If you don't mind what it is you sing, or if any of your songs are ever used, it could be great. But, if you actually have intentions for YOUR songs you can kiss them goodbye as people will become familiar with your voice attached to the songs you were made to sing. When you try your own stuff, 9 times out of 10, they won't want it. Oddly, Leiff Garrett comes to mind. He struggled mightily with wanting to do his own tunes and not being able to. That of course is only one scenario. If you're as good as those you mentioned with not only a unique voice but great songs it could be a win win. A positive outlook is definitely needed as well as a strong, strong work ethic, determination and a willingness to fail on your path to getting what you want out of what you're doing.

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

Just 1L makes a really good point.  The voice AND the songs would come into play.  They do also look for a strong work ethic, and a following.  I would say continue to develop your own following-; labels love that :)