Your Ad Could Be Here

Finding Colaborations

Hello everyone, How are you? I write lyrics only, and have met one or two collaboration partners on here, but have not had much luck finding people to do the melodies for me. I was wondering how you guys go about finding collaboration partners? Are there better sites, or do you go to local music venues? What is the best way to find collaboration partners?

Hi Amy,

I'm in the same boat you are. I too only write the words.

I'm not sure there's a "best" way. In my experience it's whatever works.

I've had some luck on http://www.kompoz.com/music/home But since then they've changed the site and made it harder to put up a catalog of lyrics for music writers to pick from. You can, however, seek out projects in need of lyrics and offer yours.

Haunt SoundCloud and look for people whose music fits your style and approach them. 

Look for songwriting organizations and workshops near you. There are a bunch out there. Try these links: http://www.taxi.com/members/links-associations.html   

http://www.songlink.com/songlink-industry-organizations-a.html   

And last but not least... I found my main writing partner through an ad in a local penny saver publication. We've been working together for over 7 years now.

The thing to remember is that it's not easy. First of all you have to keep working on your writing in order to create lyrics that will attract a music writer's attention. And then you have to find ways to connect with music writers; follow up on every idea you can think of. If there's a local band you like... hit them up. If you see a woman busking on the street... hit her up. Just keep trying. 

And don't expect one partnership to last forever. Most of the people I've worked with (almost 40 now) only lasted for a song or two. There've only been three people in over 40 years that I've written 10 or more songs with.

Hope this helps.

Edited by smajor
  • Like 1

Hi Amy,

There is of course a collaberation area here.

http://forums.songstuff.com/forum/119-songwriting-and-recording-collaboration/

and a 'collaberation group' on the same page.

I have not used it myself so I dont know any more than Ive told you here.

I do think though that there is an imbalance between lyricists and composers. In other words there are more lyricists.

Also remember that under everyones ID icon (whats it called?) at top left corner of each message there is a 'collaberation' line at the bottom of the list. This will identify who is up for it & who isnt. Just click on it to check see.

If you find a writer & like their stuff (see links etc) and they are up for collab why not check with them or point them to some of your lyrics?

Good luck

Rudi

• Like 1

Hi Amy,

I've had some luck on http://www.kompoz.com/music/home But since then they've changed the site and made it harder to put up a catalog of lyrics for music writers to pick from. You can, however, seek out projects in need of lyrics and offer yours.

Haunt SoundCloud and look for people whose music fits your style and approach them. 

Look for songwriting organizations and workshops near you. There are a bunch out there. Try these links: http://www.taxi.com/members/links-associations.html   

And last but not least... I found my main writing partner through an ad in a local penny saver publication. We've been working together for over 7 years now.

The thing to remember is that it's not easy. First of all you have to keep working on your writing in order to create lyrics that will attract a music writer's attention. And then you have to find ways to connect with music writers; follow up on every idea you can think of. If there's a local band you like... hit them up. If you see a woman busking on the street... hit her up. Just keep trying. 

And don't expect one partnership to last forever. Most of the people I've worked with (almost 40 now) only lasted for a song or two. There've only been three people in over 40 years that I've written 10 or more songs with.

Hope this helps.

Those are some good tips. I have a few co-writers that are able to do one or two songs, but your right one parternip won't always work. Thanks for the ideas.It seems very hard to find colabs though.

Hi Amy,

I do think though that there is an imbalance between lyricists and composers. In other words there are more lyricists.

Also remember that under everyones ID icon (whats it called?) at top left corner of each message there is a 'collaberation' line at the bottom of the list. This will identify who is up for it & who isnt. Just click on it to check see.

If you find a writer & like their stuff (see links etc) and they are up for collab why not check with them or point them to some of your lyrics?

Good luck

Rudi

Thanks Rudi, there are more lyric writers than music writers on here. I have had a few good colabs, but it has just been one or two songs.Do you write lyrics only too?

Hi Amy,

No I write both. 

I actually have a surfeit of both too. I just need to knuckle down and create & record some songs. 

Too much work... Not enough time...

Sam old!

Rudi

• 4 weeks later...

Amy,

As you had not read the PM that I sent you some time ago, for some reason... I'll repost info here for you, or others.

--Pat

Get a free account on Bandmix.com, to seek a possible coworker for music, with your lyrics.

*Even with a free ad there, you can use the "cheat" method to post an e-mail address: otherwise, they think you should pay for it to contact anyone and it isn't worth it, and I know that from experience from trying to form bands.  I can say that 99.5% of "musicians" are not that...  They do have ads > claiming < that they want to do such and such - they have no such intention, nor ambition.  Many have "substance abuse issues" or EGO problems, even with little or no talent.

So, do this:

1) For privacy, get a throw away account on g-mail or what have you and use that to post on Bandmix site, for music matters only, then toss the account when done with it.

2) Post THAT address on Bandmix site, as seen below OR ELSE Bandmix cuts off everything after the @ symbol IF you try to post an e-mail address when you have a free account. Yes, do use similar spacing scheme shown here.

Amyxyz (or whatever) at gmail . com

OR Amyabc (or whatever) at gmail

3) I have seen people put e-mail address in their main screen name as well, which was quite clever.

That site has ads from people (locally for instance), whom I know for a fact no longer live in the state, etc.  It is why you see the same ads, up for years...

As there are many more lyricists than composers AND most of the composers or musicians write their own lyrics it is actually not exactly easy to find people who are willing to set layrics to music. I have used tow tricks:

1. I make my lyrics available for free* so as to keep the hurdle low to use them (the opposite method would be tagging them with a copyright note which actually forbids their use);

2. I also offer writing lyrics to match music instead of just hoping that my lyrics are picked.

Trick number 1 got many (mainly hobby) musicians interested in using my lyrics. Trick number 2 opend the door to more serious musicians who had trouble coming up with good lyrics themselves.

Over time my lyrics have spread quite a bit. A Siwss/German duo have set more than 40 of my lyrics to music. I write most of the song texts for a German Blues-Rock band (for about 30 out of 40 of their songs). A few days the first CD was published with songs that have my lyrics.

I call that success. Not in money, yet in being acknowledged. All in all there are more than 150 songs out there that have my lyrics. On the other side this means only 300,- or 400,- Euro in royalties - per year (plus royalties for the CD that have not yet been accounted for; but won't amount to very much either, I think).

Good luck to you!
Bernd

*free for non-commercial use only. I add clear statements as to what people are allowed to do for free and when they have to register the songs and submit setlists to their national PRO (=performing rights organization; I am member of a PRO so my stuff can be accounted for internationally if it is used commercially).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Amy,

Hope this helps.

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for the great tips, I will check out that website. I have thought about the soundcloud thing, but I don't know the person, so not sure who to trust with my lyrics. That is a good idea. Thank you for the tips. You have good lyrics.

Hi Amy,

Good luck

Rudi

Hey Rudi,

I have one or two colaborations on here and the songs were really good. Although the thing that slows me down is the song that has a melody but needs to be produced, it cost a lot of money. I have some good colaborations, but would like to find more. Thanks for the tips.

Amy

Amy,

As you had not read the PM that I sent you some time ago, for some reason... I'll repost info here for you, or others.

--Pat

Get a free account on Bandmix.com, to seek a possible coworker for music, with your lyrics.

*Even with a free ad there, you can use the "cheat" method to post an e-mail address: otherwise, they think you should pay for it to contact anyone and it isn't worth it, and I know that from experience from trying to form bands.  I can say that 99.5% of "musicians" are not that...  They do have ads > claiming < that they want to do such and such - they have no such intention, nor ambition.  Many have "substance abuse issues" or EGO problems, even with little or no talent.

So, do this:

1) For privacy, get a throw away account on g-mail or what have you and use that to post on Bandmix site, for music matters only, then toss the account when done with it.

2) Post THAT address on Bandmix site, as seen below OR ELSE Bandmix cuts off everything after the @ symbol IF you try to post an e-mail address when you have a free account. Yes, do use similar spacing scheme shown here.

Amyxyz (or whatever) at gmail . com

OR Amyabc (or whatever) at gmail

3) I have seen people put e-mail address in their main screen name as well, which was quite clever.

That site has ads from people (locally for instance), whom I know for a fact no longer live in the state, etc.  It is why you see the same ads, up for years...

Hi Music,

I lost my password, so I have not been on, that is why I have not read your messages. You gave some great tips and I will be trying to check it out.i actually put an add on craigslist in the musicians page, I got a few responses, but it is taking a long time. Thanks again for the advice. I hope you are doing good.

Amy

Amy,

Roger, that.  (I was worried that perhaps I ended up on your "Nixon List," for some reason).  LOL!

In the past, with band efforts, I'd contacted several hundred so-called "musicians" on Bandmix and Craglist to find that 99.5% will not in fact reply when asked to play.  However, they all had ads up claiming, they'd be really keen to get something going.  NOT!

That's the crowd, that you'll be dealing with.  However, good luck.

--Pat

Hey Pat,

Not at all, I just have not been on in a while. Yeah I had a few contact me from craigslist, and they would do one or two songs. I hate approaching bands, but that is a good idea. It's hard to find collaboration parnters, but it is fun to hear your so come alive. Hope you have a great day!

Hi Larry,

I could not open your songs on Sound cloud for some reason, must be my computer. I write in country, pop, gospel, rock and several different styles. I would be interested in colaborations. What type of music do you write?