Your Ad Could Be Here

[Insert Clever Title Here]

Hey there, I'm Smokey Joe, and I've been writing music for as long as I can remember. (Since I was in diapers, if my mother is to be believed.) I've always relied more on natural talent and guesswork than, say, actually knowing what the heck I was doing--but lately I've been trying to change that.

For the most part, I have precisely zero educational background in music. I had maybe a month's worth of guitar lessons back when I was a teenager, and I took a basic music theory class in college--then promptly forgot everything I learned because I was too focused on my major. The upshot is I can now tell my clefs apart and can still read sheet music if I squint real hard and take my time with it.

Despite these shortcommings, I did manage to record and self-publish two solo albums a number of years ago. Turns out you don't need to understand music theory to do electronic arrangement--just a good ear and some decent computer skills. These days I'm trying to branch out into other styles that can't really be achieved through synthesizers and sequencing alone, and improve my understanding of musical theory.

All in all, I'd say the primary reason I'm here is that I have some questions I haven't been able to find the answers to--and I'm hoping that being able to talk with other musicians and songwriters will prove more effective than sitting in a classroom. And hey, if there's something I know that ends up proving helpful to somebody else, all the better!

• Like 3

Hey Joe Camel,

You be in the right spot!  :-)  People here know more than "industry" people do.

Cheers,

--Pat

Hey Joe Camel,

You be in the right spot!  :-)  People here know more than "industry" people do.

Cheers,

--Pat

Thanks for the warm welcome Pat. Not quite the reference I was going for there, but okay.

As far as "industry people", what do they know about music? Besides how to exploit it I mean? I'd rather talk to an actual musician than some record label shyster any day.

LOL!  Got that right, about clueless "execs" worried only about next bonus and what is "hot" this very second.

--Pat

Hi

Welcome to Songstuff.

Hope you enjoy being here  :)

Jan

Glad to have you aboard Joe. :)

Cheers

Mahesh

Thanks for the warm welcomes, Jan and Mahesh. Definitely enjoying it here.

• 2 weeks later...