Your Ad Could Be Here

Uptown Funk Gains 5 More Songwriters

Hi

I was reading this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/01/mark-ronson-uptown-funk-gains-five-new-writers

What do you think? Good, bad, indifferent?

Interesting that these writers should be added retrospectively. It does make you wonder if, case precedences now set, the next number of years for the music industry will be consumed by legal wrangles over past songs.

Thoughts?

Cheers

John

Mostly indifferent. I always kind of side-eye at the "writing by committee" approach a lot of pop songs take these days, but after reading the article it seems they're implying that the songwriting credits were added to head off a lawsuit due to some similarities between Uptown Funk and another song written by the people whose names have now been added.

Honestly I have a pretty low opinion of the way music copyrights are handled in the U.S. Music has always been a dialogue, with artists constantly covering, altering, and borrowing from each other to create an art form that lives and breathes as it grows. The idea that you can build on centuries of musical theory and development, then turn around and go "it's mine now! You have to pay me if you want to use any of it!" strikes me as completely asinine. Even worse, it kills artistic development--acting as a barrier against the creation of new songs.

TL/DR: I applaud the move as a nod of recognition towards those whose work influenced the piece, but as a perpetuation of the idea that music is something you can "steal", rather than something that must be shared and experimented with freely for the art form to thrive, I have nothing but disdain.

• Like 1

agree with joe ' smart move to add other writers to AVOID lawsuits. but funny thing is a lot of bands go though stuff like this , on who wrote what and such . Again a side of music i dont like !! most times that i did work with others ,i had no interest in any rights to what we did , call it dumb or naive but i was having fun and if it went further then i could of imagined , well cool . it would be a self pride thing . again it goes back to money , and starving to get it in a trade that you love to hate . I have people tell me all the time i should DO more with my music , feel i have done what i wanted , been on tour buses played for thousands , rubbed shoulders with others that "made" it , but it all comes with a cost that i just dont want to pay , guess as i said in another post , I'm just plain lazy and love music for what i get out of it in my own way

rock on !!