Your Ad Could Be Here

Band Name

Hi,

I guess every band needs time to find the right name, but the bands I play with are really undetermined. *rolleyes*

It took nearly a year to find a name for my cover band (the boys couldn't agree on a name). As being old guys going back into the rehearsal room we finally took the name "back on track" although the name is used by another band. We won't get famous, will not play music semi-professional, that's why I didn't vote against it.

With my main band I'm more keen on a unique name as we don't cover but write our own songs. If we'd manage to get a bit known I don't want to have to change the name afterwards due to another band.

My all time favourite is "Machine Heart", according to a song we wrote:

http://forums.songstuff.com/topic/41138-machine-heart/

Especially our drummer doesn't like it, he says that it sounds like a female metal band. And of course is the first impression an important one, We don't play metal and aren't female. And it's unlikely that someone will read the lyrics to understand the name.

Next name was YAC, the abbreviation of "Yet Another Crawler"

http://forums.songstuff.com/topic/41201-yet-another-crawler/

This time the rhythm guitarist isn't convinced. Sound like a computer program, *rolleyes*

Finally Markus (drums) suggested "Beyond Faces". He wanted to express that there is a mind behind our faces. I don't think it works, especially the following web page in mind.

As native speaker, what are your thoughts about the names?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers Helmut

Edited by Helmut

Hi Tom,

that's funny man. :D

Cheers Helmut

or....

"Dissent In The Ranks"  :yes:

No, no, we ain't got a boss. This is possible because important members don't want to be the boss. ;)

The band decides, this is very important for all of us.

Re Beyond Faces...

There was this band called "Small Faces" then an already somewhat famous Rod Stewart joined them and they became "Rod Stewart and the Faces"

They tried to hold it together when Rod Stewart went solo as just "Faces" but that didn't last long.  "Beyond Faces" sounds like a reunion tour for the surviving members of Small Faces / Faces.

Many cover bands will choose a title of a song made famous by another band/artist.  Worked for the Rolling Stones.

Locally I usually advise using local landmarks or streets for names   "The Woodward Brothers" "The Dodge Park Five" "Wide Track Mark"

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for your comment. :)

I didn't have in mind that the name could be too close to existing or former bands. Of course we aren't a Rod Stewart / Small Faces tribute band.

That's a good point. :)

Cheers Helmut

The names you are debating dont appeal to me, but I'm not a good judge.

The place names idea of Mikes is not bad.

There is/was a local band in my area called 'Rufus Stone', named after a nearby district in the New Forest.

• Like 1

The names you are debating dont appeal to me, ...

A good hint, I guess I'm too concentrated on the lyrics. The name should be short and best of course self explaining.

It's not easy to find names like "The Doors (of perception)".

• Like 1

Band names. I have given this a lot of thought in the past.

My bands name is ‘BLOWN OUT’. This was thought up in a hurry before an early gig, because we wasted a couple of months not being able to agree on a name. It can mean:

1/ the aftermath of an explosion.

2/ Being rejected by your girlfriend/boyfriend

My virtual imaginary band (the artists on my personal recordings) is ‘UNWISE BILL and the SQUAWKING GENTLEMEN’.

My first bands name was BWANNAA (Band With Absolutely No Name At All).

I was later in BARE WIRES (an album name by John Mayhall’s Bluesbreakers)

and The WALNUT MANOEUVERES (this is something a woman does to a man to prolong his ‘staying power’ errmm… apparently!)

These are some names I suggested in the past that were never adopted. Your are welcome to them if you like:

THE WHOLE IDEA (a description of ‘a concept’)

THE CRUX (the absolute essence of an idea)

OPEN VERDICT (A coroner declares an ‘open verdict’ when a cause of death is suspicious but uncertain. verdict =judgement)

• Like 1

I like Crux, sans the "The".

Think of your band as a whole, how you came to be, and what you're trying to accomplish overall with your music. Also, like Mike said above, your town, landmarks, streets, etc… can spark some ideas. Past names I thought about but will never use are: Buffalo, Rocket Science, Incognito and my all-time favorite from middle school: H.M.H. (Heavy Metal Heroes) :lol2: . Yeah, that has a nice ring to it doesn't it!!! 

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

re: Incognito

I had this on a short list too. great name.

Hi guys,

thanks for further input. :)

Incognito is in use, we had further ideas e.g. "rag bag" or "midlife chrysler". But all names are in use. :(

And "fun names" aren't really suitable for our music. From the lyrics/music we are more a AOR band (with mostly pretty serious lyrics). 

We'll see.

Thanks again and cheers,

Helmut

Cast The Die - as in roll the dice

Indelible Myth

Dicey Juju -as in uncertain charm

There's a ton of really great words in a thesaurus...

Good luck,

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom, hi everybody,

thanks a lot for your support, but we have to find a name for our own. ;)

Just saw that The Diversity is in use too. :(

But Styleless or Unstylish seems to be free. I think my daughter will hate it. :P

Cheers Helmut

Don't forget SansStyle! :)

Sorry Rudi but you'll never be able to play in the Detroit area with that band name.

Hi guys,

"midlife chrysler". ....

Helmut

I resemble that remark My last name is Chrysler. and I'm in my mid 50's.

• Like 1

My last name is Chrysler. and I'm in my mid 50's.

That is really a cool one. :)

Sorry Rudi but you'll never be able to play in the Detroit area with that band name.

Typical ! Bloody Detroit :angry:

I'm sticking to Toyota from here on

Midlife Chrysler is a punk band, I guess due to that.

It's a fun name, can't understand why people take it serious.

I'm sticking to Toyota from here on

I should have qualified that.  Every year we have a big music festival called "Blowout"  http://mtblowout.com/

BTW, one idea was "midlife snapshot" to describe the main attitude of the lyrics.

We are still without name ... *shame* *ggg*