Your Ad Could Be Here

Band Name

I vaugely recall registering Blown Out somewhere, but another one popped up later. There may be a whole directory of Blown Outs for all I know. Its almost impossible to find a name that hasnt been used nowadays.

Finding an unique name isn't a big problem, just think of the band name generators. But that is garbage.

And we have unique names on our list, but they aren't self explaining. Knowing that, I went for a song name, as the lyrics do the explaination for me. But that isn't obvious for someone never heard of us.

As we are no "fun band" "fun names" don't fit either. We had several funny name proposals with "frog", making fun about a band (we called frogs) doing rehearsal next to us. We weren't nice and just kidding, but that doesn't suit to a band with serious lyrics either.

If we were a blues band we could call us "the great electric show and dance", if we made german lyrics it could be "Schall und Rauch" (as you can see German cabaretists had 1901 the same idea as I had).

Der Name Schall und Rauch entstand angeblich, weil einem nichts anderes einfiel und nach Goethe Namen eben „Schall und Rauch“ seien.

Schall und Rauch has the meaning of "nothing left", vanishing by sound and smoke.

But all that doesn't suit to us.

Indeed I don't know why I write English lyrics, why I improvise with English garbage words (that often are the base of the lyrics).

German would be much easier for me, but when I let myself flow English words evolve on melodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think the name Helmut would work. Assuming you could sell it to the other band members. Yeah, it's your name, but it's also something that protects the brain, where all the important thoughts come from. Here in the states, people would think you're just being kind of cute with the name and spelling Helmet differently … like Phish for example.

The most serious name I can think of is serious

The most serious name I can think of is serious

Don't Call Me Shirley :)

I do reckon that's just not serious enough.

Edited by Just1L

The best band name with a solid following I ever had was "hit 'n run" The drummer and the bass player were big baseball fans.

My favorite unused band name is "Synthalolics"  I want to be in a synth band that uses all synths like Human League.

For a long time in Detroit you could put together bands like dropping a hat. We had 6 Kiss tribute bands.  Bands that specialized in spy movie/tv theme songs etc.

Hi,

sorry for answering late, but I was on holiday last week.

You, as a lyricist for songs, find your best voice using English, as opposed to using your native language of German.  So, flip around the common expression of "lost in translation" and call the band Found In Translation (a/k/a F.I.T./FIT)  And then, milk the F.I.T./FIT brand by naming CD's and tours with titles like Having A FIT, FITness, F.I.T. 2B Tied, etc.   :)

A smart idea, and "fit" is great to play with it. :)

I will tell the guys about it, but we found already a name everybody can live with.

"Digg'n the Dirt".

Reminds me of Peter Gabriels "Digging in the dirt": good musician, good song, good message.

There seems to be no band with a name like this (although most of the others didn't care to much about an unique name).

And you can play with it too.

- Digg'n first

- Digg'n again

- Digg'n KA

Cheers Helmut

• Like 1

"Digg'n the Dirt".

Helmut. Great Choice.

I feared you would end up with a mediocre name, because that happens with over-thinking. But "Digg'n the Dirt" is really good.

• Like 1

Thanks Rudi,

I even got an avatar for it. *ggg*

Cheers Helmut

post-19524-0-05863100-1433834919_thumb.j

• Editors

I like Digg'n the Dirt too. Hashtag #DTD. 

Interesting perspectives so far. :)

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I was going to suggest "Fishtown Fancy Pants"

sounds like generated. *ggg*

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/

Indeed, I do not see a link to any kind of music or lyrics of us. I hardly even can imagine a link at all, as fishtown isn't a proper word.

Neverteless, thanks for your suggestion. :)

Cheers Helmut

as fishtown isn't a proper word.

Hastings or Cape Cod?

It came as a muse listening to Hot Club of Cowtown

france

A western swing band that's influenced by  Django Reinhardt's Hot Club de France

and Bob Wills and his Texas Cowboys (Big Balls in Cowtown)