Your Ad Could Be Here

Permission To Use Question

I've been working on a song and from the start, two lines from a band I like keep popping into my head. The more I get finished, the more I'd like to use those two lines in a place or two. I'm still not sure if I would use the same melody, but, as an homage to them, I would like to. One thing to note is the meaning from the original song is different than the one I'm working on. I've searched and read, searched and read and searched and read some more. In my mind I'm still not sure if I need to get permission or not, but I have searched multiple websites looking for a way to contact them just in case I do. So far, to no avail.

So, in short, my question is: Is it okay to use 2 lines from another song? With the same melody or with a different melody. Music different, vocal melody similar or same.

I know regardless I will still search for a way to contact them, but if someone "in the know" (I'm looking at you two John and Dave) would know immediately, I thought I'd try to save a little time. And yes, I've googled the hell out of the topic.

Thanks!

Randy

Edited by Just1L

Sounds like you already know the answer Randy.

The more you struggle in quicksand, the deeper you go down.

Hey, sand, St. George Island, glad you're back.

• Like 1

Sounds like you already know the answer Randy.

The more you struggle in quicksand, the deeper you go down.

Hey, sand, St. George Island, glad you're back.

I'm almost pretty sure I don't need permission but I did finally find a way to contact them and sent them an email. We shall see. I'll say, when I emailed the Russian photographer about that Troll pic, I was surprised he had no problem with me using it. OK, well not that surprised considering he probably assumes, and rightly so, that I won't be making money off his photo. :)

SGI was a blast but I have to take a differing view than yours, I'm not glad I'm back! Thanks man!

Edited by Just1L

Solved.