Your Ad Could Be Here

The Chibson (Forgery) Controversy

There are quite a number of "operations" in China that sell forged Gibson guitars complete with forged Gibson USA hard shell cases. These fakes have naturally spawned quite a bit of controversy.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/counterfeit-guitar-bust-708.aspx

"Lawsuit" guitars are nothing new. Back in the 70's they actually spawned a rise in Asian guitar manufacturing. Ibanez grew out of it's imitations of Gibson and Fender brands. They also upped the ante for quality on both sides of the pacific. The one thing they didn't do is use the Trademark name on the instruments.

I'm no stranger to people trying to pass off forgeries as the real thing. Some are just overtly zealous types trying to make fun of the brand and the unaware. Some are simply profiteers. I can recall one short lived local music store that was always displaying forgeries of famous brand instruments. I know this reads naive. If I were making guitars I would make them uniquely my own and then be proud enough to put my own name on it. Works for hundreds of guitar brands.

Here's the catch.

People want to buy these forgeries knowing full well that they are. When they sell the forgeries they try to pass off the guitars as the real deal and..There is a sucker born every minute. Buyers who may not know what to look for are an easy mark on Ebay. And sellers are happy to laugh at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJtg8BARrMU

Chibson purchasers are quite proud of their aquisitions

What I find amusing is that one Chinese seller has stopped selling to the UK and Canada (but not the states) sue to the level of complaints by purchasers regarding the quality of the instrument.

I'll have to watch these later.

But I am aware of the Chibsons. It's why I would never use ebay to buy a Gibson.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting development for me..

http://www.rareelectricguitar.com/

They have tones of illegal brand name signature fakes If you don't like the models they have to offer you can send them the specs and they will build a guitar for you. I've known a few seedy retailers that would love this place. On the other hand I'd love to custom design my own guitar and have someone else build it for me like... Matt Raines. Chris Forsage designs many of his guitars and then he ships the designs off to china to be built.

I saw a youtube vid of a player who showed how he altered the headstock of his epi to look like a gibson and added decals to change the name. He didnt make a flawless job and it took him a long time.

He didnt do this to sell on. I presume he wanted the Gibson cachet.

I suppose its he may have felt that he might be taken more seriously with a guitar that looked expensive.