Your Ad Could Be Here

Xo. Case Of You. Bridges + Balloons.

• Noob

Hi all!

I started learning guitar (and am just getting back into singing, too) earlier this year and would love some thoughts on one or all of these covers. I'm so close to these that it's hard for me to tell at this point what I need to do to get them ready for anything other than just playing them in my room. :) Thanks in advance! 

XO (Beyonce Cover)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fXEOi8CDA

Case of You (Joni Mitchell Cover)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47_RbJ7LOAw

Bridges + Balloons (Joanna Newsom Cover)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF32jsz52dg

Checked out Case of You..  Nice voice..  Rubato is a tool that you can use to make moments more poignant, but you have to pick and choose your spots,    Unless you are a master of milking the moment, taking too many liberties with the tempo risks confusing your audience. Bottom line: you're slowing down too often, and for no apparent reason other than that perhaps you're having trouble keeping the guitar in time. My guess is the instrument is holding you back a bit.

Slow tempos are much harder to maintain. Listen and watch Ms. Mitchell singing in this video

Notice how she establishes rhythmic integrity by moving her strumming hand in regular motions (e.g. at 2:00). The lesson here, get your body into it, physically reinforcing your internal rythyms. She's also quite conscientious of the tone of the instrument - look at how she's trying to get more out of the instrument with her left hand at 1:50.

..my .02

-Mark

• Noob

Awesome, thank you Mark! Yeah, the rhythm's been tough for me to maintain on this one. I've tried using a metronome but get tripped up for some reason during the instrumental breaks or when it switches from 4/4 to 2/4

Case of You...always one of my favorites, from when it was first released. (that tells you how old I am)

Your voice is nice, a bit delicate. Let it go, girl. Breathe deep...you need air to sing. You'll be fine, tho, if you keep singing. One mistake I'VE made in my life is singing quietly to myself in the den. Your voice get used too used to not "working" it, and when you finally TRY to sing dynamically, it just isn't ready for the pressure.

So, when you are home alone, sing LOUDLY. When you are driving in your car, sing LOUDLY. Professionals practice practice practice...and they belt it out. jmho

Archived