Your Ad Could Be Here

Really not liking the new SongStuff look (sorry)

It's harder for me to navigate the forums.  I don't know if the site stuff forums were removed or I'm just not seeing the link.

The links above each forum are like a huge misdirect.  It takes a little scrolling to find a post.

• Like 1

think it takes a bit of getting used to didn't really like it at first but once you have had a chance to find your way round it is not really so different . just have to scroll up and down find the link klick on it and it seems fine PO   John

• Like 1

They were there before Mike, just as a list rather than a block. You'll be glad to know something similar to the old theme is still  available. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on theme and chose the Songstuff List Theme :)

• Like 1

No problem. Hopefully the grid format would grow on you. It is the same info and links, just in a grid instead of a list, but it should be easy enough to maintain both.

the upgrade has a ton of new stuff... Ie the look and feel is more incidental, rather than the purpose. More good stuff to come :)

btw, did you spot site stuff yet?

the announcements were there before, just not bold. I did make some only show on certain boards, and the upgrade notice is only up for another few days.

• Like 1

I like the look. I think It'll take a little getting used to is all.

• Like 2

John,

Now I have since following the information you presented.  Really don't have too much time to give SongStuff a good look over.  Promise to do so as time presents itself.

• Like 2

I'm getting more used to it and starting to like it. The icons on the text/format bar are a little different, but better.

Everything seems faster too.

• Like 1

Yup, definitely an improvement so far. I love the new mobile interface too. I live by it haha. 

• Like 1

I like the new look alot John.  Took a bit of getting used to, but once you figure out where everything is, it really grows on you.  I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not, but my computer seems to access the various parts of the site faster, as well.  Maybe my computer is just having a good hair day. :)

• Like 2

Hi Dave

I upgraded the server too :) The upgrade is focused on new features and is still being optimized for speed, so I increased server resource so that it ran faster overall.

We will be introducing a site supporter role (Songstuffers) in the very near feature to help raise funds for site improvement (like further server upgrades etc, new features blah blah) for  $15-$20 per quarter (just over $1 a week) and in return we'll be offering a lot of extra benefits to those site supporters (more extensive and detailed articles, kits, templates, tools, even services). I can't afford to pay for an ever improving site from my own pocket, simple as that. We could sell products but that is not the core of Songstuff. I'm not against it, but I would prefer to preserve core benefits for free (ie what is now free, though we will keep adding free stuff). This way friends of the site can support it's growth and development in return for extra stuff.

A good example of this is that there are a number of sites offering training on promotion, pitching, and artist / songwriter site design. Costs vary. One I looked at last week charges $995 to train people in how to do this.

Not at Songstuff. :)

Here we will be taking the approach:

• Basic Info - free to all
  • Detailed info plus tools - site supporters as part of their subscription
  • Detailed info plus tools - interns

Interns have to apply to become an intern. They will get training and access to tools and templates etc as needed to do the intern job in return for a commitment to perform that role for Songstuff for a certain number of hours per week. Interns are not paid, but then the norm is that they would have to pay a lot to get tthe tools and training, so overall they are getting a great deal. Additionally, by performing the role they gain a huge amount of experience.

The even better news is that the people that benefit are the Songstuffers.

For example, we train interns on promotion and tour support, getting reviews in local press for tours. So we offer that as a free service to Songstuff Site Supporters as a perk of being a site supporter. Not bad for $15-$20 per quarter! We can do the same with song pitching, internet promotion, web site design and set up, publishing admin and more. This equips interns with skills, offers a perk service to Songstuffers, and has a spin off providing great intel on current music industry and a host of spin off articles. Pretty great deal I think.

If it proves popular, then the site and site development is paid for and the main beneficiaries will be site members. I think that's a pretty cool model!

I'l not go through all the benefits here, but in mentioning the increased speed I thought it worthwhile mentioning that the server was upgraded, and that it wasn't free for me lol But, we have a plan! lol Seriously though, Songstuff growth has been heavily restricted by my pocket (or the lack of cash there in!). This approach could potentially remove that restriction and in fact give it a big boost to allow Songstuff to become as useful as I, and others, always wanted it to be.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Where am I?

At home in front of your puter!

• Like 1