Your Ad Could Be Here

What makes a song great?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that is the six million dollar question John.

Ok, I'll try to keep this as concise as possible but I will open by stating that it is subjective..

Firstly a great song is not a cut and dried conclusion because some listeners will love it and some will hate it. Everyone has their own taste and preferences not so much different as food. Some absolutely love Marmite and some detest it. Music is no different.

To me a great song is a lyric where the masses can identify with it and it is easily remembered by the listener. Also the music and melody needs to underpin the vocalist who interprets the song. Those qualities combined with a good arrangement, mix and master are in my opinion what makes a good song. However there have been many songs that have not been readily understood by its listeners and have still been what I consider to be a great song. Take for example Procol Harem's 1960s song "Whiter shade of pale" which is still the most played song on radio and has stood the test of time. Gary Brooker had to explain it's meaning and it is still not totally clear because it is very allegorical.

We may ask ourselves if the song "Happy Birthday" is a great song because it is sung all over the world and still makes people happy and still makes a couple of million dollars a year.

Overall this question that you have asked John is not as easily answered as one would think.

Hey Ray

It's good to ask the difficult questions, especially when there is no absolutely right answer. If popularity is any measure of greatness, there are ball park answers based on sales, radio requests, play list entries etc. at least in terms of what songs or artists are great. When it comes down to tying down why a song is great we can survey opinion, but that tends to be relatively broad strokes. Most listeners find it hard to tie down exactly why they like something. "I love the words" tells you something, but not a hell of a lot. "It has an infectuous beat". "I can't get the melody out of my head". Same issue. There after we have to make educated guesses based upon our experience... and that's where it gets really interesting. At least for me.

The notion of not using our knowledge in that way is a falsehood. We can try not to, but that is as false a situation as kidding ourselves and other people on that we do things purely for ourselves as songwriters.

Importantly, what makes a song great changes. It is a shifting target.

We do know at least two essential components:

It has to have words

It has to have a melody

You may also have a different opinion as a listener depending on situation. Some songs are great to cry to, while others are great to to dance to. Some work for both.

The longevity of greatness is also a feature. Some hits can have instant appeal but they are ultimately despised, while others are slow burners, not achieving the accolade of greatness until long after release. A long lasting popularity tends to be more desireable for songwriters, however that balance shifts if you are looking for a breakthrough single.

I think what we can do is at least suggest what aspects of a song give it a better chance of achieving greatness, and what aspects would detract from that greatness. What would work in one scenario and not in another.... just as long as we qualify why a song is great (in our opinion). There willl be common answers.

Cheers

John

Exactly what I was saying John, it's subjective and there's no right or wrong opinions. Do you remember a song by my mate Kevin Rowland and Dexy's midnight runners? I can't remember the title but it was something like Te ru ria ooh rai ay and had the line "Come on Eileen" first line of the chorus? It didn't mean a lot to most people but it was an UPPY song that went big in the UK. I'm not sure how it did in the states.

I was a teen of the 80s. Come on Eileen was a BIG hit in the US. #1 on Pop Charts. Fun times!

5 hours ago, Ray888 said:

Exactly what I was saying John, it's subjective and there's no right or wrong opinions. Do you remember a song by my mate Kevin Rowland and Dexy's midnight runners? I can't remember the title but it was something like Te ru ria ooh rai ay and had the line "Come on Eileen" first line of the chorus? It didn't mean a lot to most people but it was an UPPY song that went big in the UK. I'm not sure how it did in the states.

Ray - the reason why 'Come on Eileen' has survived the test of time, is due to its singability and dancebility. The story in the lyrics is a very much used idea, but that is why it appeals, as a lot of people can put themselves in that position.

Oh, and also weddings..... weddings are a reason why it's prevailed.

4 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

Ray - the reason why 'Come on Eileen' has survived the test of time, is due to its singability and dancebility. The story in the lyrics is a very much used idea, but that is why it appeals, as a lot of people can put themselves in that position.

Oh, and also weddings..... weddings are a reason why it's prevailed.

Richard, I don't think that it was a song that many took notice of the lyric. It was a great melody and yes it had the danceability factor. Just my opinion.

Archived