Your Ad Could Be Here

Les Paul STD & Less+ 2015

2015 Les Paul Standard and 2015 Les Plus.

Les Paul Standard: Every year the ‘Standard’ is reissued with ‘tweaks’. It’s the ‘regular’ model.

Les Paul Less Plus: New for 2015. A much thinner, lighter version. with easier upper fret access.

For those unfamiliar with 2015 Gibsons.

* 2015 Nashville models (not Memphis ones) feature:

·         * Robot tuners (battery powered mechanical tuners)

·         * An adjustable brass nut which incorporates a zero fret

·         * Extra wide necks

·         * And a few other bits n bobs too

These 2015 changes have been heavily criticised by the very conservative Gibson faithful. In response, Gibson’s 2016 models are now without any of these features (so far anyway).  I wanted to give the 2015’s a try while they were still available.

Following a quick try (for handling only - unplugged) on Saturday, I returned (to Nevada Music) yesterday for a proper try of both the 2015 LP STD and the LP Less+.

Only an unfamiliar Orange amp was available to try the guitars on.
At first I tried the Standard. It was in an open tuning and stubbornly remained there until the shop assistant 'assisted it' into concert for me (this is a robot tuner function. Manual tuning would take too long due to the gearing).

The G-Force tuners were a bit annoying to be honest, but I told myself it was just because they were unfamiliar. I had to retune every couple of minutes though as the strings seem to ‘slip’ easily.

I also asked the tech to add a little relief to the neck as it was straight & the upper frets were buzzing. He returned it properly adjusted.

All four knobs have a push pull function. The volumes are coil taps, one tone is phase inversion (for middle PU position just like Peter Green’s classic LP)) and the last one is a cancel-all & return to bridge PU. I struggled to find a usable sound and after 20 minutes gave it up as a bad job.

I reasoned that the amp was responsible & regretted not bringing my own amp along.

I then tried the Less Plus. I was stunned to find a wonderful tone immediately. The difference was surprising. These are also coil tapped, but with a switch rather than push-pull knobs. The action was a little high for perfect playing, but it was the tone that kept me playing.

I reasoned that the sound difference had to be in the Pickups.  

The STD has Burstbucker Pros installed, and the Less+ has '57 classics. My 339 has ’57 classics but it doesn’t sound like the Less+ at all.

The only other small worry was there were indeed ruts worn into the brass zero fret. It was more noticeable on the STD. The assistant was probably right when he suggested it might be due to wear brought about by the G-Force tuners. I tried many string bends close to the nut and only by trying hard was I able to pull the B string out of its 'rut'. When this happened, it was not audible. This brass nut is a great idea, but Gibson used too soft a metal. They have replaced some with chromed versions (when asked).

The tuners are replaceable, but who wants to buy an expensive guitar only to chop it about again?

I may return next week with my own rig. If so, that will be next Monday.

The wider necks on both were excellent & I would hope that the wider neck option will be available in at least some model after this year.

• Like 1

Next year the models change and the prices drop considerably.  They've done away with the Les Paul Hologram and the G-Force tuners.  I wouldn't be surprised if Stores are trying to clear out inventory quick for the new ones to come around.  Expect serious price drops.  Also expect the 2015 models to become collectable very quickly (say 5 years) Limited Run exception models have a niche market.

In the uk, the sprint run of 2016 speced models are already in stock and available.

Many 2015 models are out of stock now in the larger stores. Those remaining are reduced to about 66% of list price.

Getting rid of those damn G Force tuners is the best thing they could have done.

I am not a big fan of brass nuts having installed one on an old Ibanez I played for years. It was my goto guitar before I was able to afford my Gibson Les Paul Custom (I have a Nashville model made in September 1983). I liked it at first but over time I grew tired of how bright it made open position stuff. I prefer a composite or bone nut now.

I haven't played a newer LP plus, I will have to check one out. If I was going to buy a 2015 model, I would buy one of the Les Paul's with vintage tuners like the SR model.

I'm surprised the music store had only one amp they would let you use. Seriously? If my local stores told me: 'this is the only amp you can use', they would lose my patronage. The guys here all know me now but even when I was new in town, they would let me play pretty much anything in the store within a few minutes of getting to know me. In any case, I would think that an Orange model would sound good with a Les Paul for heavier stuff, not so much for cleaner playing.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Hope your jazz gig is going well.

Peace,

TC

I had that happen at a now defunct music store. (being only allowed to play the amp they chose) I also had the reverse at saime sed store when looking at an amp and only being allowed to play the guitar they wished me to....  Needles to say I stopped shopping there and eventually the place closed.

I should clarify & correct the Orange amp statement.

In the booth I was in was the Orange amp and a Marshall. The Marshall was missing its kettle lead so could not be used. I was in there alone and didnt wish to keep chasing the assistant down every couple of minutes (I had to for the open tuning issue).

I could have asked for anything else I suppose, but I had no idea what would suit the LPs so didnt bother.

I haven't used a valve amp for 20 years. The last one would have been a Selmer Treble & Bass 50 through a homemade 4 x 12 cab.

Someone alerted me to some good reductions for the Less+ on Amazon uk. It was down to 1k. (list was £1,500) so a 33% reduction.

Yesterday it dropped again, and this morning it went down to 49%. Then I ordered one. I wouldnt normally buy guitars mail order, especially not a Gibson, but its a good reduction. So if I get a poor one, I'll just return it. Its due to arrive on Saturday.

This evening the price has risen again and is now a 45% saving.

Nice! Buy me one, too! :-p 

Post a pic when you get it.

Peace,

TC

Damn Ive had problems adding a picture here. Uploaded twice only for it to disappear. Where? dunno? I hope this photo link works

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/unwise1/media/DSC02513web_zpsdtqpgj2z.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I have temporary added a quick recording on my soundcloud VN870014.wma  (now at top) of the less+. appologies for the poor quality.

A better one has been added now : Blues idea 1

Edited by Rudi
to improve

In my opinion,its a shame what Gibson has become.

My first guitar was a Gibson SG which wound up getting stolen.

Then I got a bicentenial edition Firebird,which like an idiot I let go.

Then I got a '72 Les paul Custom,which I still have,along with a '73 SG and a '73 L6-S,which are all excellent guitars.

I have played many of the newer Gibsons and have been dissapointed pretty much every time.

As far as Im concerned,in their day they were the instrument of choice,but now i think they are a mediocre guitar that you are paying a top notch price for.

I have many other guitars that will blow them away that cost half the price.

Just my opinion..

Really it depends on era.  I saw a lot of lousy gibsons during the 80's and 90's.   Every few years the CEO gets replaced by a new one who may have no clue about guitars or the guitar market. He lasts for about 5 years and gets replaced by someone else.  The CEO's job is to line his pocket with as much money as possible. Damn the company, damn the brand name and damn the consumers.   It takes awhile for the rank and file to knock some sense into the guy (If they can) and generally the CEO will make pronouncements to the public from on high which trade magazines love to print and won't try to fight (because Gibson pays for advertisement)

Honestly I still believe that they are making the best production instruments they ever have...If you stick to the mid to top of the line Gibsons. The CEO isn't the one building the instruments and maintaining standards.  I've had two les pauls.  A 50's gold top and a 70's custom.  The 50's one had terrible output from the bridge pickup and less then desireable tuning stability.  The 70's LP was amazing and both were heavy as all hell.  I've played more then 100 les pauls working at guitar stores and trying to find "The One"  Up until 2013 I'd regularly play new Gibson Les Pauls in stores. I'd always check out standards and customs. Each time they were right as rain. The tuners functioned as they should without irregular stiffness and held in place where I could play in tune for hours, The nut was correctly joined to the neck at the proper angle and proper distance on either side. It was precisely slotted. The fretwork was perfect all the way up the board.  There were no "dead zones" due to hollowed necks. the relief was spot on. The action was pristine across all the strings  and the tuneomatic bridge had the proper radius and height with the tailpiece having the correct angle for the string travel.  Everything was perfect. I've noticed this from 2005 to 2013/  Then I'd have the heartache of price.  I rarely saw that in 80's gibsons even some 90's were shoddy.

The only other brand I've ever seen which is that detailed for mass production is the American made Fenders. MIM's and CIC's don't come close. I've got a MIM fender and a CIC fender and a USA fender.  The MIM and the CIC I had to do work on for them to play properly. It's little problem for me as I've worked in guitar stores and can do basic guitar tech.   Guitar stores rarely do more then intonate guitars and some won't even do that for a new guitar unless a customer requests it.  I used to be a fan of Ibanez but even with Ibanez I'd always have to do a full setup.  If the factory doesn't have the time or skill to do a proper setup then it goes to the store. If the store does the full setup then they have to increase the price to pay for the labor.  You are not going to get a full setup from online sales places or chain stores or even most ma/pa brick and mortars.

If someone who doesn't know enough about guitars to know what a full setup can do to improve playability and comfort (fret overhang etc) Buys a guitar online because they think they are saving money...Well they'll never fully realize the difference.  So many times through the years I've played other peoples guitars which needed a proper setup and begged them to go get one.  I've even offered to do it for free.  I've handed them my guitars and shown the difference in playability.  It's a hard thing to ask of them when they have this new guitar or this guitar that they love.  It's like saying "your girlfriend is pretty but you'd enjoy her more if I fixed her"

The one (LP) that was delivered to me handles better than the one I tried out in Nevadas. It’s also in newer condition.

However, the action was out. The box had been previously opened, and I suspect that the strings had been lowered by someone else. I don’t believe that Gibson would have shipped it like that. I’ve raised the action twice. The neck relief is spot on perfect. I may raise strings just a gnat’s nut more on the bass side, because if I play hard there’s still a tiny buzz.

It is slightly lower than my PRS. It should ideally be about the same. The neck surface is very similar to the PRS but a lot chunkier (thick).

I certainly didn’t need this guitar but persuaded myself to jump because it’s likely the last opportunity I’d have to get a wide necked Gibson. The discount then made it irresistible.

The G-Force is behaving itself so far, though I have seldom needed to use it. I will check the brass nut periodically and will apply to Gibson for a nickel version if ruts appear. They probably will.

I have a 1983 LP Custom which is one of the best guitars I have ever played, hands down. I played every Les Paul in the store before selecting that one (there were 15 or so). They all were pretty nice but this one is something special.

I'm glad you are liking your new LP, Rudi. Let us know when you record something with it! -Haha! Nevermind, I see that you added a link in one of your posts. I am going to listen now.

Peace,

TC

Edited by TCgypsy

....and that's the thing about LP's of that era.  You go through 10 or more just to find the right one.  When you do it makes all the difference.

If you buy a Gibson Les Paul from this era even though the necks vary they vary to a spec. As far as the variety of tone and models it's really up to the player.

I've read all the horror stories about Epi's and experienced a few of my own.  Where by no matter what you do it still doesn't sound / play right.  Sometimes I think it's a marketing thing.  They get you into the store with the "Gibson authorized: LP copy and then you find that no matter what it just can't play/sound right so then you upgrade to a Les Paul.