Your Ad Could Be Here

Where to start

I'm a lyricist who has about 10 collabortions to my credit. Sometimes the musicians will write music to the lyric with a completely different style than I've intended. This has worked out really great but a couple of times I really liked my version better. The problem is I have no way to record my idea, not to mention when I sing my dog cries. lol. I have a P.C. with windows. I was wondering what would be the simplest most effective program to make a simple beat to sing along with and record it. An affordable one with auto-tune preferably. I would like something advanced to be able to use later on down the road. I plan on building a home studio and learning to play guitar. By the way if anyone would like to collaborate here's a link to my lyrics

https://app.box.com/s/c57ycjgilr924jypknv6gpxymlky76x9

I WRITE IN ANY GENRE AND TO MUSIC

and my collaborations

https://app.box.com/s/ywdcuv305nb5qpvja1xmn71lztckahaz

thank in advance

---------------Johnny

It's not easy is it - I'm in a very similar if not the same boat to you. Any power into the voice and cover your ears, plus I'm having another more determined go at learning the guitar too.

You want to start by looking through the DAW's forum area. There's a lot to choose from and I know you've said something to just get a beat down and record it - the basics. That means you want a package deal, where you will get music (often midi packs) included with the software. Now others will have different opinions and suggestions, but I think the simplest software to get the hang of quickly that comes with a load of drums and guitars etc you can use 'and' that down the road as you get more accomplished will still help you with what you're looking to do, is Mixcraft. A lot of the other DAW's are about creating music (I know quite a few guys who use Ableton for House type Live gigs etc) and then there's the ones for recording all instruments etc and then there are those that are more tuned in their way for producers. They all pretty much do the same thing Johhny. But they can be somewhat daunting, which is why I suggest Mixcraft, because when you open it up, choose a drum set, drag them onto the screen, copy and paste, extend or cut up parts etc, you should get the hang of it quite quickly and easily. next you'll be adding other instruments like a bass etc. So, what you really need to do is go to the Mixcraft site and look around (a good look), check out some tutorials on youtube to see how the job gets done using it, then do the same for any other suggestions and then decide.

I know where you are right now, because I've been there too and Mixcraft helped me understand quite a bit about DAW's and choosing a drum type etc through it's very simple and basic screen etc. Hope this is of help.

• 3 months later...

Johnny, I bought a new iMac.  It's loaded with Garageband Software.  I find doing the music is the simplest thing.  If you got a problem, you can call Apple to guide you through.  Apple team has a great support network that will help you over the phone.  And.  You can attend an Apple tutorial course in your area for nothing as well.  I'm just assuming that you might be at the technical level that I'm at, which is kindergarten.  Since I needed a new computer anyway and songwriting is a big part of me, I thought investing in this IMacI already with the Software programed into it was the least expensive way to go as well as the simplest.  Of course you have to purchase an Interface to hook up to your computer.  I bought  what I thought was the least expensive one, which had the best quality for the money.  It only has two inputs, but since I'm a lone musician here it works.
What is killing me is getting around on the computer.  For example like earning how to import data, registering for things etc.. like on Youtube.  Filing Mp3s and stuff.  I can't organize it and store it to know where to go to access it when I want it.

It took me a few days to get the sound I wanted for my song.  But it has been over a week trying to coordinate my work what I've materialized.  And I still don't know what I'm freaking doing.  There are just so many instructions!  It's like my brain is jug that full and it don't have the capacity to fit anymore info so i can get to the next step.
Anyhow.  This video is what i've done with an acoustic guitar, and electric guitar, and the rhythms I had to select to download and adjust to my liking. Oh yeah, some instruments from my keyboard in the intro, and near the end.
 I didn't include my voice because it ruins the song.  At the end of the first song, you can listen too me singing which says it all about my critique on my vocals lol, I'm sure you will agree.

Edited by louielouwhy