Your Ad Could Be Here

Running WAMP locally

Many years ago I ran all sorts of servers from my desktop computer. Gaming/Chat environments as well as hosting websites.  It was all part of the educational process for me.

I've been thinking of running a wamp server (http://sourceforge.net/p/wampserver/wiki/Home/)  with a dynamic ip address such as noip.com

As I've been looking at other opportunities other then cooking.  I'm reminded that before I got into tech support for multimedia software (swishzone.com) I was a web designer and offered hosting for a time.  I let all of that go as I got into tech support and many of my skills became rusty.  Just as I used to hardcode php, perl and asp for a time then I got hooked on prefabricated portals.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried "home hosting" in recent years or have you simply got a good hosting package with the big name brand hosts.

Mike

I've only used WAMP as a local server to develop the site and then deploy it on another host. Never tried it hosting on my computer itself which would sure be interesting. John may have more to say about this but I'll keep an eye out for this topic. 

Thanks Mike. 

I tried WAMP server but it failed three times during the install.

So I went with XAMPP It's up and running but I haven't set up a dyn dns service yet.

After looking at what is available I went with https://www.dynu.com/

Even though hosting is dirt cheap these days I really don't want to get tied down to a traditional hosting service.  If I did I'd go back to Bluehost.

Hey Mike

I only ever dabbled with home hosting... mainly because of the connection speed issues in comparison to a host hooked directly into a main backbone. Additionally, I didn't need to worry about back ups, hardware maintenance etc.

Songstuff is hosted on two different hosting accounts. All subdomains other than forums are on DreamHost. The forums are on Amazon AWS, which has many real benefits over traditional hosting.There are many reasonable hosts. Indeed I even thought of selling domains and hosting packages via Songstuff (the forums come with support for that built in). The only reason I haven't is my own bandwidth with all the rest that needs done.

On Amazon AWS, there is a free tier, so you can get access to a basic windows or linux virtual server for free. Worth a look. A Pay As You Go service.

I too came from hard coded PHP. I guess back in the day there were far less off the shelf solutions.

What are your plans at this stage Mike? Your own project? Development for clients? Selling domains and hosting?

After looking at the market over the last few years, I'd also recommend looking at developing some mobile app skills. Yet again there are loads of solutions to consider.

Cheers

John

I've got the bandwidth for my needs. 

What I want to do is build up a portfolio of different sites on subdomains both cms and static for potential employers. I too used to hard code php, perl, asp and coldfusion along with some rebol and ruby/rails for extra measure.    

I'm rusty  I've seen more then a few positions on craigslist for web design development that I could have easily handled years ago But not today.  SWiSHscript / SWiSH Max (action script flash made easy) and a little php was all that I needed to get by. That won't cut it today.  Looking at my career choices I've got cooking and I've got web design. I'm prolly going to need two jobs to survive  I'd rather not sling hash 12 to 16 hours a day to keep a roof over my head.  And at this point that's what I see.  So I want to get back into design/development and sharpen my skills from the ground up.  Which is something that could be done with something like dreamhost or bluehost or any contemporary hosting company but it's really not the same when you have one-click instant cms scripts. Showing that I can do it all locally (wamp. dynamic dns) is also a nice feather in the cap.

• Like 1

Egad, I may never master jQuery at this rate.

I just spent an hour studying how to show / hide an object using jQuery. and I'm still confused about it.

In SWiSH it took me less then a minute to show/hide an object using simple instructions like...

on (rollOver) {box._visible = true;}
on (rollOut) {box._visible = false;
}

And about 10 seconds to convert the swf (flash) to html via googles swiffy 

It shouldn't be that hard Mike. I use Dyndns as a service for my home server, which is a simple LAMP server that also runs ruby. I only use it for Dev work. I have used jQuery on a few occasions as a developer. Handy for any json work.

Just to be clear, I meant learning jQuery shouldn't be that hard based on the experience you have. :)

I'm thinking of getting adobe flash professional

That in my humble opinion is throwing in the towel.

I've had flash in the past.  My boss used to work for macromedia as a developer for flash before leaving to form his own company.  The latest installment allows for .fla to be converted into HTML Canvas.  Flash in swf format is so far beyond what can be created in html5 it isn't even funny.  When one "downgrades on export" from .fla to .html many features that have been present for the last 15 years don't work in html so there is a warning signal.

I've had many disagreements with adobe's development of flash over the years and it's not just about working for flash's nearest competitor.  I also really don't like the subscription model for software.  

I don't quite follow the benefit of hosting a home server setup for websites over a current cheap reseller option that will be hosted on fast hardware and server location, allow for multiple individual domains to be hosted, offer updates for all the backend software, almost zero downtime ++, unless you like to do it all yourself. For me it's a time efficiency issue whereby rather than you spend the time setting up, testing out, resolving issues etc that you pay someone else a few dollars a month to do, you get to focus on promoting, marketing and selling which I get the feeling is where you need to be - earning the money by time spent selling, not with the spanners out. Just a thought Mike :)