• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
M57

Touchdown Into Grey (May 2017 Update)

66 posts in this topic

I've been reticent because I figured it would be demoralizing.

Nah, you're very close. And a good reference mix shouldn't be demoralising, at worst it should be awe-inspiring. :) Like Andy Wallace's work on Jeff Buckley's Grace album. Have a listen to "Last Goodbye" if you haven't already, to hear what is -- in my humble opinion -- an example of great mixing.

Posted (edited)

Tasty tasty changeups M57.  I see this was a w.i.p. and the time spent was sure worth it.  Seems close to a wrap except I agree with some that the percussion is a bit shallow and needs to be ramped up as the song builds.  Your two verse intro choice is of personal taste and your lyrics draw interest although you may want to reexamine them further to make sure they are the best they can be.  Overall I really enjoyed the message, the arrangement, and the music.  

Edited by Nelson Pawlak

Posted (edited)

Hi,

beautiful stuff man!! Lyrics are brilliant, the music - Voice... sometimes - and only just for a couple of nanoseconds, you struggle a bit with some of the words...(just 2 or 3... ) ... but there is a hell lot of emition in your voice. Wow - really. Keep doin what you are doin - use your emotions and tell us your story!!

I love this green/stuff pre-short chorus... the chorus itself work so perfectly... the verses are cool as well. I love the piano/part at the beginning of the song.. that´s something "simple" to get into the right mood .. and starting from there, the journey begins.

Well, I would recommend listening to this song with head-phones. Did you use head-phones for mixing? Because I listen to this song.. couple of time via headphones, now it´s on my laptap with my cheep speakers... and it does sound different... so LISTEN TO IT ON HEADPHONES; WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED....IN THE DARK!!!!!

That´s music man!! Well done!

Edit: Well you know. When the chorus started... hmm... that is the sound I am trying to achieve now for a couple of years... and I cannot make it.. how did you do that??

Edited by wallabie

Posted (edited)

Hey thanks @Nelson Pawlak.  I don't doubt you're right about the form when it comes to the accessibility 'norm.' The lyric informs the form in pretty much all of my songs. I can't imagine it any other way.  For better or worse, very rarely does that approach result in what would be considered a pop form - heck, often my songs don't even have a proper chorus - I've come to terms with that.

@wallabie Thanks very much for listening and your comments. Yeah, my monitors are not the best, and the space is not perfect (more on that later) and so my mixes are about 95% informed by headphones.  It's a bit frustrating, but I agree - it sounds about 3Xs better in headphones (with eyes closed - in the dark lol).  I have a few theories about why that is, but I'm fairly confident that it boils down to the fact that I'm mixing in the same room I record in, and even with tons of treatment and bass traps, I'm pretty sure there are a couple of frequencies in the 150-300 hz range that are whack in the space.  I try to record everything acoustically - even the piano - so any room anomalies build with every take. I've done a bit of research on it and I'm under the impression that it's quite common in that range in smaller rooms, and it's very difficult to tame in rooms with lower ceilings (mine are 8') without the aid of pro analysis gear/software AND a lot of experimentation moving things around to find the sweet spots for recording and listening.  I don't know that I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole.

As for 'how' - all I can say is I'm constantly learning. I've learned a ton from participating in forums and I spend a ridiculous amount of time (way too much) mixing/tweaking/automating/experimenting with different techniques.  If you can identify something specific about what you liked, I'd be happy to try and explain how I think I did it.

Honestly, the fact that it doesn't sound nearly as good on speakers frustrates the hell out of me, but other than that - I'm pretty happy with this mix and I'm going to start trying out some mastering options. I'll probably start with https://ariamastering.com/ . That's what I used on this tune, and the ARIA master was better than what I was able to do myself, and definitely worth $19.

Edited by M57

Very impressive M. There is a lot of variation and details in you singing which I think are great. Musically I particularly like the little piece before the last chorus at 03:33.

If there is anything to improve the first words "Something’s wrong I feel the tension, The conversation paused at the" could be sung with a slight bit more emotion. Then you sing the word "mention" beautifully. And the electric fill in guitar (used at 01:11 etc) is a little late 80ies sounding). Anyway there are so many good things here with the singing, song structure, arrangement, piano, chorus build up, lyrics etc. Great job!

Look how many views you had for this!  Gotta be a record.  I think I may keep peeking at it just to get it to 2000. :)