Your Ad Could Be Here

What is the best mic to use, for multipurpose recording?

Today id like to go to the music shop close to my place, and purchace a mic. the main use will be for lyrics to be recorded over rap, but with a smooth style. however as a producer id also love to be able to record random sounds, to create original samples, to manipulate. i also have three or 4 musical instruments in my house, which would be nice to record. is there a mic where i can fulfill all my recording needs. the number one priorty is, and would be, for rap. im clueless about mics, so wouldnt know which type to use. im currently using an old karaoke mic, which is ok, but kinda sucks. moneys not an issue, lack of knowledge is

alo

It depends on what you typically record. There is no sense getting a mic suitable for recording drums if you are unlikely to be recording them. If you plan on 99% recording vocals and guitar get a decent vocal mic. It will still be able to record other instruments, just avoid setting the mic up too close. Typically a capacitor mic is used. On a budget I have found Rode mics to be on the money.

Lower priced and versatile are two industry standards "dynamic" mics: Shure sm58, a versatile  mic for singers, used a lot for gigs, and the Shure sm57 which is a common instrument mic.

thre are more modern alternatives, including USB mics, but the Shure mics are both industry budget standards. 

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but you did leave it kinda last minute to do some research ;)

i hope this helps,

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

+1 what John said. It's one of those questions but... The ubiquitous Dynamic Duo from Shure --the SM57 and SM58-- are as far as you have to look.

The SM58 is tailored a bit more for vocals but either mic can do anything really. (If memory serves, the vocal for the famous #1 hit --This Masquerade, as sung by the stellar guitarist/vocalist George Benson-- was recorded with an SM57. About $100 these days, too.) If you can't record something using either of these mics, then the problem ain't with your mic.

• 1 year later...

If you are looking for a versatile microphone and it is within your budget I would suggest that you go for a multi pattern condenser mic with base roll off. Condenser Mics are intended for studio use so you need to treat them with respect or risk damaging them.

The Shure 58 that John suggested is a lot more hardy because they were designed for stage use. If you want a mic that can take a bashing and still function then it's the one to go for.

Archived