Your Ad Could Be Here

Shill

I truly could believe what you are stating except for....

Using the same Steinberg ASIO on the same Yamaha THR as a soundcard produces entirely different results on my Windows 10 machine then it does on my Windows Vista machine.  Vista should be the sluggish one, not win10

One thing I found out mainly by accident was I upped my sample rate from 48khz to 96khz. This took my latency from 21ms round trip to 10ms round trip. So I now  get 5ms one way latency. That's pretty good to play amp sims. Have you checked your sample rates and resolutions? 

I also wonder if multiple channel interfaces perform better if you don't use all the channels. I think I read this somewhere but haven't tried disabling any channels yet. I have over 20 channels...if I disable all but the two I record with it might make a difference as well...anyone else attempted this?

I'll experiment later today.  Yamaha has a Steinberg license for ASIO which limits it to 48K and it's a yamaha soundcard (essentially) that I'm using.  The internal soundcard is a realtek. 

Regarding adding effects later in the production cycle.  Way back when I was one of the first in Michigan to own a Roland VS 1680 in Michigan.  It was a big deal back then.  The built in COSM effects and the ability to add them after recording was something that astounded me.  Though it was a little strange getting used to.   I talked to a friend of mine who owned a local guitar store which didn't carry any damn digital recorders about it.  He laughed in my face and told me no serious musician/engineer would do such a thing.  This wasn't just any schmoe.  He was a highly regarded jazz guitarist who had graced the cover of Jazz Times and had a long list of albums self produced. He kept up on all the latest technologies and for the most part loved everything new.  He'd chide me about the feature from time to time as I'd come into the store for strings or to check out guitars.  We were good friends. He'd come out to see my shows and I his.

A few years later Fostex came out with the same feature on their multi-track recorders and he praised it to no end.  Turns out he was really only upset by the fact that he wasn't an authorized Roland dealer.  Everything he couldn't sell he didn't want and would express to the customers that said item was crap.  It was a small store so... If he had to buy 10 Les Pauls to sell one he'd go on a rant about how he hated Gibson and the inferior quality for price etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I confirmed that number of tracks selected in software has zero influence on latency. If your computer can handle lower resolution settings I would shoot for this as a solution first. I don't claim to be an expert in latency reduction. It all seems pretty straightforward. The faster you can help the setup to deal with the data, the less latency you will have. RME and Motu have rock solid fast drivers and hardware. I have heard nothing but good news from owners of these units.

Some people have reported better performance using ASIO4ALL which is really some kind of a wrapper that makes the interface think it's using asio drivers. That might help you if you have an older realtek card.

RE- COSM...Roland's name for their efx were cutting edge at one time, might be falling behind some now. Funny you should mention this. I haven't looked at hardware recorders in years and this past week I've been researching them as a solution to record project tracks in the field and load them into my DAW back in the studio. I'm amazed at how inexpensive these are now. For under 500 smackers I can get a 16 track SD portable studio with 8 xlr inputs and phantom power. There are good deals to be had if you're looking for one of these as an addition to your DAW.

Zoom tends to be a bit more gimmicky with internal drum machines. Tascam is a little more on the serious side of things. I wanted something that recorded to SD cards for easy computer transfer and storage. 

These are wonderful for a band to make tracks pretty much anywhere.

I happen to have a Yamaha AW16G

15347_12001_1.jpg

I like the zoom ones but not the tacky drum machines on them.

For the big bucks I'd go for a line 6 m20d

Those are great recorders! The Line 6 mixer is overkill for my basic needs. I only need to take a decent recorder to an auditorium and capture a few violin tracks. Four inputs would be better because then I could track an ensemble. I looked at the Tascam 70D as an option. Good Pre amps. Marketed to photographers shooting movies, but it works stand alone. Takes SD cards which are important because I want to simply pop the card out or hook to usb and transfer to my DAW. I don't need too many frills to get that done..

Here's what you can get for around 500.00- probably way more than I will need.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP24SD?adpos=1t1&creative=105744827761&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwguu5BRDq8uSKhaKIzDkSJACQ7WJlFG9kKKoFCk4uoudPAg5MDiZMEHa9fIsX3AFGqqnEKxoCQK3w_wcB

Here's what I'm looking at- http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-70D-4-Channel-Audio-Recorder/dp/B00OY6718K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463507017&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+dr+70d

If you get this I would make sure your DAW can import broadcast waves. These are simply .wav files with some extra video related metadata. Most DAWs can import them.

Mostly I'm concerned with midi latency and not audio.

The Linnstrument has been a godsend to me.  Every time I touch it I'm spellbound. The responsiveness of the unit even before one gets into the "other five" touch responses the velocity response is captivating.  I seriously have to turn off X,Y and after pressure just to get through my basic scale/arpeggio practice regiment because I'm too swept away to concentrate.

Edited by TapperMike

Here's a few links that might help. I realize that you have different hardware/software. The settings are still the same if you can get into those same places in your software.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-reduce-MIDI-latency-m2712711.aspx

http://tweakheadz.com/latency/

Thanks,

Most of it I've already tried.  Haven't gone through the entire thing yet.

I'm getting 2.5 ms on the Vista running Cantile as a host.  Even though it reads 5.8  on the windows machine it's actually much much higher.

Here's another nicely priced recorder  for anyone looking.

http://www.amazon.com/DP-008EX-Portastudio-Portable-Multi-Track-Recorder/dp/B00B9060X6/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463748815&sr=1-5&keywords=zoom+H6

They can't hold a candle to a DAW, but as a device to get nice tracks fast this is great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the update with my midi latency issue.

Banished for good.   I just installed Mixcraft Pro 7 on to my Windows 10 machine  It uses Windows WaveRT

I swear from what I'm hearing and playing it must be about 3ms. Which is funny as the linnstrument boasts 2ms

Of all things I am running the audio out via my hdmi output to my video monitor and aside from me wanting to get a 2.1 sound bar to enhance the bass it's awesome.

Glad you're making headway there. The system is usable now? 

Speaking of bass...just had a friend say to me, " Hey I have this thing in my truck and I thought maybe you could use it", so I went I to his truck and looked at it. It's one of those Alpine subwoofer cabinets. I think it must have the amp in it. Very heavy , even for a bass speaker. This is one of those things that will shake the screws loose in your car if you pump it up.....I have no idea what I'll do with it, thought it might make a decent bass reference monitor. You want it it's yours, but shipping will be high because it's heavy. If you use it your neighbors will hate you forever.:)